Rumor: Tim Leiweke Not Happy in Toronto

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Leiweke also hates Rob Ford and has ripped him in the media several times, and in his position he probably has to interact with the mayor and some of the other clowns from City Hall on a fairly regular basis. That place is even more of a gong show than the Leafs, so that can't be fun. Toronto seems to support bad sports teams in a way few other cities would, so the whole political situation has kind of been a big eye opener for me. it makes me wonder if there's a widespread cultural bias against holding public figures accountable.

With the Leafs, we rip them apart at the end of the year when they fail, but ultimately people forget after a few weeks. By the time next season rolls around this place will be bubbling with optimism again. We'll be excited about the possibility of making the playoffs under a new coach. Everyone will be pimping their favourite Leaf and projecting new career highs. We'll have a couple of shiny new players we'll all be looking forward to seeing. We'll have a new batch of draft picks to follow and our prospects will be a year closer and we'll be bursting at the seams with anticipation. It will be Next Year(tm).

Leiweke wants to instill a new culture in the team, but what if he's come to the depressing realization that the losing culture is a product of the city itself, and that even he isn't capable of fixing things?

Hug?

Toronto is not so bad.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Leiweke also hates Rob Ford and has ripped him in the media several times, and in his position he probably has to interact with the mayor and some of the other clowns from City Hall on a fairly regular basis. That place is even more of a gong show than the Leafs, so that can't be fun. Toronto seems to support bad sports teams in a way few other cities would, so the whole political situation has kind of been a big eye opener for me. it makes me wonder if there's a widespread cultural bias against holding public figures accountable.

With the Leafs, we rip them apart at the end of the year when they fail, but ultimately people forget after a few weeks. By the time next season rolls around this place will be bubbling with optimism again. We'll be excited about the possibility of making the playoffs under a new coach. Everyone will be pimping their favourite Leaf and projecting new career highs. We'll have a couple of shiny new players we'll all be looking forward to seeing. We'll have a new batch of draft picks to follow and our prospects will be a year closer and we'll be bursting at the seams with anticipation. It will be Next Year(tm).

Leiweke wants to instill a new culture in the team, but what if he's come to the depressing realization that the losing culture is a product of the city itself, and that even he isn't capable of fixing things?

When did he rip apart Lord Ford?

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I blame Rob Ford

Edit: Was just being an idiot as usual but seems it's a factor!

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
He was talking about Bell and Rogers, rival communication companies
A duopoly? And the guy who said they 'hate' each other. Yes, like rival lawyers going at it like cats and dogs and probably having drinks later and laughing about it. There is competition but when you are at the top and part of a multi-billion dollar duopoly, it's not so bad.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
You don't know? A high near the freezing mark, and some snow in the morning hours.

shut up, you are a mean liar who lies and I hate you! :cry:
(seriously? holy crap - where the hell is spring already... naturally tomorrow is the day my moving truck FINALLY decides to come)

btw I don't really hate you

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
Why does TL have to live here to run MLSE?

Has nothing to do with it. He's climbing the ladder. If the Leafs make the playoffs next year then he can say on his resume that he fixed 3 sports teams in 2 years, and then he'll be CEO of a much bigger company. Doesn't matter what happens to the teams the year after.

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
Could care less if he left or not. He's yet to prove anything over the long term. Raptors are a solid team in an awful conference and far from a contender, TFC has played 5 games, (And even if they won a championship, all he did was throw money at big names).

And as for the Leafs... :laugh:

Shanny's team now anyway. He controls everything and TL isn't a hockey guy. I'm willing to bet they're paying Shanny quite the $ anyway.

Has he done good things? Sure, but as far as the Leafs are concerned, TL leaving likely means minimal to their future.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Could care less if he left or not. He's yet to prove anything over the long term. Raptors are a solid team in an awful conference and far from a contender, TFC has played 5 games, (And even if they won a championship, all he did was throw money at big names).

Shanny's team now anyway. He controls everything and TL isn't a hockey guy. I'm willing to bet they're paying Shanny quite the $ anyway.

Has he done good things? Sure, but as far as the Leafs are concerned, TL leaving likely means minimal to their future.

Over the long term? He has only been here for a year.

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
Over the long term? He has only been here for a year.

Yup. But everyone praising him right now needs to get a grip. He touts he's changed the culture and basically saved these two teams when they're yet to win when it matters.

People act like this guy is the saviour, and its really sad.

Not to mention his awful comments of "October was no fluke", only to say today "Our problems were masked by the shortened season". Which is it?

Beleafer19

Apr 25, 2013
nope, he said after he "fixes" the leafs hes gone. he said he already fixed the raps and tfc. listen to the interview. he was asked if he wasnt happy, and did not flat out deny it. He didnt deny it at all.

Since when does silence mean agreement?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Say what now? Anyone who believes that or thinks that way? The sooner they get out of town the better.

It wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement/denial given the question.

Cox hinted at Leiweke's future and it sounds like Brunt has heard the same thing.

I don't think he wants to be here. He's still a professional, he'll still do his job, but I agree with the impression that he seems to be looking for an exit in the near-to-not too distant future.

Can't say I blame him. That boardroom must be an absolute mess with Bell and Rogers at each other's throats.

Entirely possible & frankly plausible. He's an LA guy. Gone all the elbow rubbing in La La Land with artists via AEG-Live, producers, actors, agents.... Toronto like a far flung provincial foreign outpost. I frankly was surprised at his hire and wondered how long his tenure would last. Oohed & awed, supposed Rainmaker, inflated reputation but thats another matter altogether.... And ya, further exacerbating matters the acrimony that was sure to occur between Rogers & Bell, and that cant be much of a treat to be dealing with. Regardless, he's hired Shanahan who must have or God help us if he didnt insisted on autonomy & full control of hockey operations. No interference. Gimme my Budget & go away. So if Lieweke does literally "go away" I for one could care less. His position, duties & responsibilities can be carried out by someone else. He's not indispensable. No one is.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
What does it matter? Shanahan has full autonomy. TL is nothing but a name now. It's all on Shanny. Leiweke doesn't know **** about sports. He hires people that do, which is his biggest asset to fans and this asset has been executed. Now we wait and see what happens. Also, if Shanahan fails, Leiweke's judgement is no longer trustworthy, and we'll want him gone anyways.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Just listening to Prime Time Sports and the last question Stephen Brunt asked Tim was to address the rumour that he wasn't happy in Toronto and Tim didn't exactly shoot it down. He only mentioned that he was hired to get all 3 teams on the right track and 2 out of 3 are fixed.

I'll put up a copy of the interview when it comes online from Sportsnet.

This is bad news if he's looking to leave in my opinion. He's such a breath of fresh air from Richard Peddie. Leiweke wants to win above all.

Has anyone seen anything on this? PTS is speculating the catfighting of the board is the reason, combined with the weather.

Here is the link starting at 10:50 in:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/on-demand/#rotation=0

This was not a long term job for Tim. He saw an opportunity in Toronto to be the master behind getting all 3 teams on the right track and becoming championship contenders. We don't exactly know how TFC will do or the Raptors in a few years but the building blocks and the management team seem to be in place with both teams. The Leafs are his only obstacle right now. Once they're fixed, he's gone. He's not going to be here for 10 years, he's going to be here until the teams start winning and then he's going back to LA. He said it from the get go this was not a long term job for him.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

Please don't talk about the Raptors like that. I know you're probably only a hockey guy but I never understood people bashing the other teams in this city based on having the same ownership. If you have a beef with Tim or the Leafs try and leave the Raptors out of it. Yes the East is bad but the Raptors have won 48 games nonetheless. Give them some respect. They're definitely a contender in the East, they could make the ECF this year. Plus their core is all young and not even in their prime yet except for Lowry who is 28. Great potential for that team going forward and with Ujiri at the helm, a great young GM the future is bright in Raptorland.

So if TFC wins a championship it doesn't count because all he did was throw money at it? Man you sound so butthurt. Try watching and enjoying other sports, looks like the Leafs are really starting to get to you.

There are two types of fans in this city: 1.) Pure Leaf fans who don't watch or follow anything but hockey and 2.) Fans like me who watch and follow ALL sports and follow all the teams in this city. It helped me that TFC and the Raptors are doing so well so I don't make silly posts like this guy did. Why be angry? Just put the Leafs on hold and put your focus on the teams that deserve your attention..pretty easy, instead of bashing them because you're angry about the situation with the Leafs.

Last edited:

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
The Raptors are also gonna be really good for another 3-4 years before those draft picks from this year fully develop for their cellar dweller teams, if they hit their potential. Even then, I'm sure the Raps will add pieces and find a way to stay competitive.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
As far as weather goes, I hope that Leiweke realizes that this was the coldest winter in 20 years. It can't get much worse, if at all worse, than it was this past winter.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
As far as weather goes, I hope that Leiweke realizes that this was the coldest winter in 20 years. It can't get much worse, if at all worse, than it was this past winter.

don't tempt Mother Nature, Swerv.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad