Rumor: Tim Leiweke Not Happy in Toronto

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
He was brought in to fix MLSE, not the Leafs.

He has made excellent strides with the other two teams in MLSE, and has just now really turned his attention to the Maple Leafs.

The two moves he has had a big hand in was
1. Jonathan Bernier
2. Brendan Shanahan

both positives IMO. Show some patience.

I'm sorry but this is Toronto, we care mostly about the Maple Leafs. I don't really give a rats ass what he does to a 3rd-4th tier soccer team, or a (yawn) basketball team.

His #1 priority should be the Leafs, it's in MLSE's interest to rip us off with as many playoff tickets as possible.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'm sorry but this is Toronto, we care mostly about the Maple Leafs. I don't really give a rats ass what he does to a 3rd-4th tier soccer team, or a (yawn) basketball team.

His #1 priority should be the Leafs, it's in MLSE's interest to rip us off with as many playoff tickets as possible.

He's here for MLSE, not you.

Plenty of people in Toronto love the Raptors, TFC and the Leafs. There are some people who don't even pay attention to the Leafs.

So far, he's done a terrific job.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
He's here for MLSE, not you.

Plenty of people in Toronto love the Raptors, TFC and the Leafs. There are some people who don't even pay attention to the Leafs.

So far, he's done a terrific job.

I gotta give you credit man, you were fast on that reply.

This is still the Maple Leafs city, though.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I gotta give you credit man, you were fast on that reply.

This is still the Maple Leafs city, though.

I agree, but he isn't here to fix the Leafs, he even said it himself near the end of the season. He didn't think there was much to fix with the Leafs when he arrived. We just came off our return to the playoffs in a heck of a playoff series, some would say it was the best series of the playoffs.

He focused on making TFC and Raptors relevant in the city again. In fact, his main project was TFC, they have a big passionate following, but the team was crap and was ignored by Peddie, now they are contenders, and the following keeps going.

I mean, he brought in a top 5 GM in the NBA and that's all that team really needed. They had some good pieces, they just needed somebody competent enough to start putting it together. Did you see Maple Leafs Square/Jurassic Park during the Raps games? Tell me again that the Raps don't matter.

All I'm saying is that you can't be pissed at Leiweke when he has been here for a year, and he's "fixed" 2/3 of MLSE's teams. He's the CEO of MLSE, not just the Leafs.

He has started with Shanahan, and Shanny, along with TL will work together to make this a competent hockey club. They brought back Carlyle, but the big target is to get McLellan or Babcock next summer. Who knows if Nonis is here past this season as well.

A year of Leiweke is already 10x better than anything Peddie ever did.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I agree, but he isn't here to fix the Leafs, he even said it himself near the end of the season. He didn't think there was much to fix with the Leafs when he arrived. We just came off our return to the playoffs in a heck of a playoff series, some would say it was the best series of the playoffs.

He focused on making TFC and Raptors relevant in the city again. In fact, his main project was TFC, they have a big passionate following, but the team was crap and was ignored by Peddie, now they are contenders, and the following keeps going.

I mean, he brought in a top 5 GM in the NBA and that's all that team really needed. They had some good pieces, they just needed somebody competent enough to start putting it together. Did you see Maple Leafs Square/Jurassic Park during the Raps games? Tell me again that the Raps don't matter.

All I'm saying is that you can't be pissed at Leiweke when he has been here for a year, and he's "fixed" 2/3 of MLSE's teams. He's the CEO of MLSE, not just the Leafs.

He has started with Shanahan, and Shanny, along with TL will work together to make this a competent hockey club. They brought back Carlyle, but the big target is to get McLellan or Babcock next summer. Who knows if Nonis is here past this season as well.

exactly. :nod:

and the :( thing is - hockey is one of those sports now that any changes takes 2-5 years to see the fruit of the labours.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009

Actually, you made some good points. Perhaps I am being too harsh on him.

I don't see what he can really do for the Leafs though, the cap and league is set up so you have to get good talent through the draft on ELC contracts and such, and we never give ourself that opportunity.

It's just hard to be positive about the Leafs right now, and I want an indication of which way the team is going. Tank or quick fix? I'm betting on the quick fix, not that I would have an issue with a tank.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Actually, you made some good points. Perhaps I am being too harsh on him.

I don't see what he can really do for the Leafs though, the cap and league is set up so you have to get good talent through the draft on ELC contracts and such, and we never give ourself that opportunity.

It's just hard to be positive about the Leafs right now, and I want an indication of which way the team is going. Tank or quick fix? I'm betting on the quick fix, not that I would have an issue with a tank.

Totally, there is only a handful on reasons to be optimistic about the Leafs, and two carts full of reasons not to be :laugh: and it's SOOO easy to bash anyone that has anything to do with the Leafs because this past year (and the 8 or 9 before the short season) were HELL, but we need to try our best to really look at the big picture.

You're right, the NHL is a league where it is hard to fix a team in a short time. It's gonna be a process, and that starts tomorrow night at the draft really.

Be pissed at Nonis and Carlyle all you want because I despise them, I probably wanted Carlyle fired more than anyone :laugh: but give Leiweke time, this off-season should be the start of the "okay, let's see what you're gonna do" with Shanahan and Leiweke.

For this city's sake, let's hope it's all positive.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I want to see a million trades tomorrow, and the first ten draft picks going to the Leafs. :D

Tyler Biggs*

"Leiweke says Shanahan will be patient, won't buckle to public pressure to make changes"

Thank you! Somebody that actually gets it! Leafs need to stop abandoning their rebuilds in order to get a quick fix, a fix that hasn't worked since the last cup.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

Yeah, no one cares about the Raptors...

torontowoo.gif

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Yeah, no one cares about the Raptors...

torontowoo.gif

Basketball is still boring as **** to me (turns out I'm an old fashioned rat, truth be told I have trouble watching any sport other than hockey, though the world cup has been pretty good), but nice Luigi avatar. Mario Kart 8 is great!

I can't even watch baseball or football anymore. Well, I'll give football another try this year.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
nope, he said after he "fixes" the leafs hes gone. he said he already fixed the raps and tfc. listen to the interview. he was asked if he wasnt happy, and did not flat out deny it. He didnt deny it at all.

He planned the parade and suggested a new culture by removing pictures of heroes old from the walls of the ACC and got harsh criticism by Leafs fans.

He wanted Carlyle removed and didn't get his way.

He successfully built winning dynasties in LA (the Kings just won another Cup) and is being questioned on the way he wants the Leafs to be run here.

Why would he want to stay?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad