Rumor: Tim Leiweke Not Happy in Toronto

Mantooth

Mar 4, 2013
2 of 3 fixed? Lol. Did I miss the raptors winning an nba title or toronto FC make the playoffs?

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
I hate this argument. The playoffs for any of these three franchises represents a massive increase in revenue. If money is the ultimate goal, winning the Stanley cup represents the biggest cash cow of them all, and Bell-Rogers would be doing everything they can to achieve that.

I would in fact argue against what you're saying, I believe that Bell and Rogers have a large incentive to limit the success and profitability of each other. In that light, there would be a lot of butting heads on issues that might potentially benefit the team, simply because one company might get more out of it than the other.

Try this on for size, Rogers now has exclusive rights to NHL broadcasts, you think Bell wants to play ball and agree to anything that might improve the quality or success of leafs broadcasts?

The relationship is toxic for the success of this team.

Ugh. I hate the type of argument you offer up to the argument you claim to hate.

No one has ever said (at least people with brains), that they wouldn't like to win a Cup and all the glory and extra money that it would bring.

But anyone who has lived for any amount of time in the world and possesses some observation skills knows that it is a truism: financial success has the habit of breeding arrogance while simultaneously killing the hunger to win. NO ONE IS SAYING THAT THEY STILL DON'T WANT TO WIN. IT'S ALL ABOUT ****ING DEGREES...

Players are a microcosm of this (the financially successful team): bloated contracts and player is never hungry TO THE SAME DEGREE again... Of course, some players are not affected TO THE SAME ****ING DEGREE.

Understanding nuance and degree separates the people from brains from, well, the people without brains...

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
Ugh. I hate the type of argument you offer up to the argument you claim to hate.

No one has ever said (at least people with brains), that they wouldn't like to win a Cup and all the glory and extra money that it would bring.

But anyone who has lived for any amount of time in the world and possesses some observation skills knows that it is a truism: financial success has the habit of breeding arrogance while simultaneously killing the hunger to win. NO ONE IS SAYING THAT THEY STILL DON'T WANT TO WIN. IT'S ALL ABOUT ****ING DEGREES...

Players are a microcosm of this (the financially successful team): bloated contracts and player is never hungry TO THE SAME DEGREE again... Of course, some players are not affected TO THE SAME ****ING DEGREE.

Understanding nuance and degree separates the people from brains from, well, the people without brains...

Well put..

and in the end,

it can be said

that these degrees

can create dynastys.

Or in our case,

reserve a pilgrim's place,

knock knock knocking

on the pearly gates.

If not for our degrees,

we would not be,

finding a cheapskate's way into heaven,

since 1967.

Tyler Biggs*

I doubt Leiweke had much input in trades. He's not a hockey guy he's a soccer guy and he even stated that. Nonis and his advisors were in full control of operations last year.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
2 of 3 fixed? Lol. Did I miss the raptors winning an nba title or toronto FC make the playoffs?

For the Raptors, he got rid of a horrible president and gm and instead brought in one of the best basketball minds, who turned the Raptors from perennial bottom feeders to one of the best young teams in the NBA. He also brought the all-star game to Toronto.

For TFC, he brought in two legitimate stars and got them out of the gutter in no time. Btw, TFC is in a playoff position right now despite playing 4/5 games less than everyone else.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I doubt Leiweke had much input in trades. He's not a hockey guy he's a soccer guy and he even stated that. Nonis and his advisors were in full control of operations last year.

I think so too: but he can put pressure on management (for better, or for worse) to mix things up/go after big names, ect.

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
For the Raptors, he got rid of a horrible president and gm and instead brought in one of the best basketball minds, who turned the Raptors from perennial bottom feeders to one of the best young teams in the NBA. He also brought the all-star game to Toronto.

For TFC, he brought in two legitimate stars and got them out of the gutter in no time. Btw, TFC is in a playoff position right now despite playing 4/5 games less than everyone else.

Leiweke isn't really a guy who really tries to influence a team in any real transactional sense, he's a smart enough guy to understand that is not his area of expertise. What he is good at, however, is finding good people to put in those positions, and holds those accountable who aren't cutting it. For anyone to say that he is not a good guy to have around doesn't know what they are talking about. His first priority is, and always will be, the business side. But he also does like to influence the management side as well, but only to the extent of putting people in positions he feels can get the job done. Nothing wrong with that at all in my mind.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Well, he said that TFC and the Raps were now fixed and now it's the Leafs turn.

But, I think Leiweke has taken a look at the Leafs Cap situation (*Cough cough, Phaneuf and Clarkson leading the charge *Cough cough... Clears throat*) and is beginning to realize that they could be a lost cause for the distant future and he wants to get out of town before his reputation as a "miracle worker" takes a hit.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Haven't had the opportunity to go through all the pages but let me put my two cents in here, i wouldn't be happy here either if I was Tim. Our management staff keeps handing out Pejorative Slured contracts to players who don't deserve the term or money they get and we are too stupid to properly evaluate them accordingly before we give them the world(Phaneuf and Clarkson). We always want to trade our young kids for over the hill or less skilled players because our fanbase can't deal with allowing them to develop. Furthermore we reward mediocrity, carlyle gets us into the playoffs in a strike shortened season and then can't coach his way out of a paper bag with 13 games left and a 90%+ chance of making playoffs and we give him another two years. Not to mention the players don't respond to him, players hate playing for him(Lupul, Kadri, Gardiner, etc). It is just a dysfunctional family and until we take an honest look in the mirror, take off the rose coloured glasses, etc we will continue to breed losing.

I get that certain players on this roster may not be the players our management staff believe can make us a perennial contender but if you are going to trade players with youth and upside it has to be for player that has both those characteristic but may be positionally different. Getting older, injury prone, bottom end talent for top pairing guys and top 6 forwards is just boneheaded management. Those are positions you build internally and add that one trade date acquisition to put you over the top. For the sake of the long suffering blue and white fans everywhere please allow our kids to grow build something. Stop over-valuing our own players and if somebody is looking for more than they are worth trade that asset so your not the laughing joke of the entire league.

HonestHockey*

Haven't had the opportunity to go through all the pages but let me put my two cents in here, i wouldn't be happy here either if I was Tim. Our management staff keeps handing out Pejorative Slured contracts to players who don't deserve the term or money they get and we are too stupid to properly evaluate them accordingly before we give them the world(Phaneuf and Clarkson). We always want to trade our young kids for over the hill or less skilled players because our fanbase can't deal with allowing them to develop. Furthermore we reward mediocrity, carlyle gets us into the playoffs in a strike shortened season and then can't coach his way out of a paper bag with 13 games left and a 90%+ chance of making playoffs and we give him another two years. Not to mention the players don't respond to him, players hate playing for him(Lupul, Kadri, Gardiner, etc). It is just a dysfunctional family and until we take an honest look in the mirror, take off the rose coloured glasses, etc we will continue to breed losing.

I get that certain players on this roster may not be the players our management staff believe can make us a perennial contender but if you are going to trade players with youth and upside it has to be for player that has both those characteristic but may be positionally different. Getting older, injury prone, bottom end talent for top pairing guys and top 6 forwards is just boneheaded management. Those are positions you build internally and add that one trade date acquisition to put you over the top. For the sake of the long suffering blue and white fans everywhere please allow our kids to grow build something. Stop over-valuing our own players and if somebody is looking for more than they are worth trade that asset so your not the laughing joke of the entire league.

Wow how wrong are you. Leweike had a perfect opportunity to can Nonis the guy who handed out these contracts but didn't. In fact he said at the Shanahan announcement how much he liked the last few additions.

We haven't traded youth for aging vets in awhile and the three players you mention I'd give my right nut not to have them on this team.

Brutally wrong post.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Wow how wrong are you. Leweike had a perfect opportunity to can Nonis the guy who handed out these contracts but didn't. In fact he said at the Shanahan announcement how much he liked the last few additions.

We haven't traded youth for aging vets in awhile and the three players you mention I'd give my right nut not to have them on this team.

Brutally wrong post.

As many have posted, Leweike is not making hockey decisions when it comes to player personel. Your right about the opportunity to fire Nonis. I'm not sure which press conference you were watching but Tim was not a happy camper and said as much in regards to the culture of the team and what has been a recurring ending(no playoffs).

The speculation that most media outlets are spreading out there is essentially a firesale on anybody who isn't Carlyle's boys (Gardiner, Kadri, Lupul, etc) while cancers like Phaneuf and pylons like Franson are being offered stupid contracts or in talks for extensions. Regarding these three players that you'd give your right nut to have off the team are the forementioned (Gardiner, Kadri and Lupul) then your the koolaid drinking TML fanboy's 29 other GM in the the league love because you can count on your fan base being overally critical of the players you have and a management team that has been stupid enough to bend to their will and traditionally have traded young players away because they were not the second coming of gilmore or clarke. Heck, even Sundin one of the TML best players got flak because he was not this and he was not that.

Allow this youthful core to grow, I suspect by mid/end of the season we will know if this extension was a golden parachute for both Coach and GM.

HonestHockey*

As many have posted, Leweike is not making hockey decisions when it comes to player personel. Your right about the opportunity to fire Nonis. I'm not sure which press conference you were watching but Tim was not a happy camper and said as much in regards to the culture of the team and what has been a recurring ending(no playoffs).

The speculation that most media outlets are spreading out there is essentially a firesale on anybody who isn't Carlyle's boys (Gardiner, Kadri, Lupul, etc) while cancers like Phaneuf and pylons like Franson are being offered stupid contracts or in talks for extensions. Regarding these three players that you'd give your right nut to have off the team are the forementioned (Gardiner, Kadri and Lupul) then your the koolaid drinking TML fanboy's 29 other GM in the the league love because you can count on your fan base being overally critical of the players you have and a management team that has been stupid enough to bend to their will and traditionally have traded young players away because they were not the second coming of gilmore or clarke. Heck, even Sundin one of the TML best players got flak because he was not this and he was not that.

Allow this youthful core to grow, I suspect by mid/end of the season we will know if this extension was a golden parachute for both Coach and GM.

Of course Lewieke said he wasn't happy with the results who would be but he did say in his support of Nonis that he liked the last few team additions. If you look at it that's Gleason, Bolland and Clarkson.

You think that the three players you think are awesome are talked about being shopped bc they aren't "Carlyles" boys? They are being shopped because they can't play the 200ft. Game. Of this whole team those three are by far the most one dimensional.

It's been years since the Leafs have moved young for old. Typical Leaf fan whine.

Avec Fromage*

They are alot closer to winning then the Leafs are. I can tell you that much.

But are they fixed? The only move the Raptors made was dumping Gay. Besides, the NBA is top-heavy. The Raptors will never get passed the big teams. And if Lowry leaves, they may not even make the playoffs next year.

The only team that actually has a chance is TFC. So he's fixed the least cared about MLSE team by throwing money at players. That course is not possible with the Raptors or Leafs.

Hired a patsy in Shanahan for the Leaf - a guy too scared to rock the boat and consistently make the right calls while working for the NHL. First move as Leafs' president? Re-sign Carlyle.

MLSE ruined the Leafs' shot at success when they dumped Burke for Nonis. That Clarkson contract would have never been signed by BB. Nonis comes in and goes against everything Burke preached against.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

Do you even watch basketball or soccer to even make these kinds of comments? Like honestly, think about what you just said..Did you not see the difference in the Raptors? That is a young and upcoming team with one of the youngest cores in the league/best GM's in the game. TFC has 2 superstars and have a playoff spot while playing like 4 fewer games then the rest of the teams in the conference. And with the Raptors and TFC how do can you judge them when their new regimes have had literally 1 season (Raptors case) and TFC barely half way through their first year with this new and improved team. Can we not get through the first year before we start saying things like (Did I miss TFC make the playoffs).

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
But are they fixed? The only move the Raptors made was dumping Gay. Besides, the NBA is top-heavy. The Raptors will never get passed the big teams. And if Lowry leaves, they may not even make the playoffs next year.

The only team that actually has a chance is TFC. So he's fixed the least cared about MLSE team by throwing money at players. That course is not possible with the Raptors or Leafs.

Hired a patsy in Shanahan for the Leaf - a guy too scared to rock the boat and consistently make the right calls while working for the NHL. First move as Leafs' president? Re-sign Carlyle.

MLSE ruined the Leafs' shot at success when they dumped Burke for Nonis. That Clarkson contract would have never been signed by BB. Nonis comes in and goes against everything Burke preached against.

But again I'll say this again, can we give Masai more than 1-2 years before we start proclaiming this a failure. Saying stuff "the Raptors will never get passed the big teams" How do you know that. Masai has been on the job for less than 2 years.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
"...TORONTO - When Dean Lombardi was about to hire Darryl Sutter as coach of the Los Angeles Kings, he did what all general managers must do.

He went to his boss and informed him of the move he was prepared to make.

The conversation didn’t go well.

Lombardi was told in no uncertain terms that hiring Sutter wasn’t the right move, may be “the worst decision you’ve ever made†and speculated it “will end up costing you your job.â€

Lombardi, who had worked with Sutter in San Jose, made the hire he believed in nonetheless. Three years later, his coach is the envy of most in the NHL, Lombardi is running the model franchise and the Kings have two Stanley Cups under Sutter.

And the boss who doubted Lombardi’s wisdom? His name: Tim Leiweke ..."

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/21/leiweke-didnt-want-darryl-sutter

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
You guys are better off without Lieweekly.

I've noticed you seem to hate Leiweke a lot. Even though he is a loudmouth blowhard, the Raptors and TFC have turned it around, and he was also responsible for turning the LA Galaxy around and was able to convince one of the biggest names in pro sports to play for the Galaxy (Beckham). That being said, Leiweke didn't do a good job with the Kings and they sucked under his meddling and they only turned it around after Lombardi came along under the stipulation of full autonomy, meaning Leiweke effectively butted out of daily operations. The Leafs are in shambles right now with no direction and two guys who don't have the balls to make tough decisions and are easy targets for Leiweke to use as puppets. That being said, he had his handprints all over the Bernier trade, which was an amazing trade for us.

Honestly, I can't formulate my opinion on him yet. I do see where you are coming from, though.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Of course Lewieke said he wasn't happy with the results who would be but he did say in his support of Nonis that he liked the last few team additions. If you look at it that's Gleason, Bolland and Clarkson.

You think that the three players you think are awesome are talked about being shopped bc they aren't "Carlyles" boys? They are being shopped because they can't play the 200ft. Game. Of this whole team those three are by far the most one dimensional.

It's been years since the Leafs have moved young for old. Typical Leaf fan whine.

Gardiner was one of our best defenders in the later half of the season. Phaneuf was pretty much the worst player on the TML blue line the second half of the season, after he gets his new deal-typical. Kadri for all of his warts is 23 and playing in his first full season. With all that crap the kids has had to deal with i give him a little bit of a break, does he need to get better in faceoffs, defensive game, bulk up of course but he is 23 and put up 50. His sealing once fully realized and learned-all things by the way you can teach and coach could easily be 60-80 points per year player. Lupul is well Lupul, he can easily put in 20-30 but is made of glass and doesn't really play that 200 foot game. The issue with him is that nobody in their right mind is gonna trade for a player with his issues and contract. At this point I would be happy to trade him but who do we get to replace him and his production and how much of his contract do we have to eat.

The point to my rant is that most media outlets are reporting that the leafs are contemplating trading these young assets for older less gifted players-now if you could read and respond accordingly then i wouldn't have to keep repeating myself.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00