Tie Domi on his son Max playing with Montreal

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
If you mean "Quebecois", then yes, English is a far more common language than Quebecois....especially considering Quebecois is not a language. We speak French here...it might be a slightly different French than in France, but it remains French. In North America, we don't speak the same English as in Great Britain either...but it remains English.

But to get back to the point, nobody forces anybody to learn French here. Players are encouraged to learn French if they want, I believe the organisation even offers courses, but nobody forces anybody to do anything. Some players choose to as they feel it makes for an easier transition to a non English speaking city. If I was a professional soccer player from Canada that went to play in a high level league in Spain, you don't think i'd want to learn how to speak Spanish as to facilitate things for me in that country? Nobody would force me to i'm sure, but I probably would.
It can impact some guys more than others. Europeans and Americans are not exempted from bill 101 which means their kids would have to go to only French school. That can make em salty.

Also, if you watch press conferences, there are some reporters that lack tact and will try to insert language into the questioning. "Are you planning to learn French, why not? etc etc"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad