Tie Domi on his son Max playing with Montreal

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
https://www.tsn.ca/tie-domi-exciting-to-see-max-on-a-real-team-in-a-real-market-1.1193988

Max Domi, 23, was acquired by the Canadiens from Arizona last June in a trade for winger Alex Galchenyuk. And Tie, who spent most of his career down Highway 401 as a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs, knows all about the benefits of playing in an established Canadian NHL market.

"Nobody chooses where you get drafted, where you play and where you get traded to," Tie told reporters. "When you have players on a team in Arizona – (Chris) Pronger, (Pavel) Datsyuk [and] now they got (Marian) Hossa – to get to the floor, you don't really understand that kind of stuff. He's a kid.

"Now he's understanding it. He's on a real team in a real market and it's exciting to see him taking it all in. But at the same time, he's taking it a day at a time. He's a positive kid and it's good to see him with a smile on his face and the team having a lot of success right now.

Quite the attention-grabbing headline, though I'm sure Tie didn't mean to take a shot at Arizona.

Either way, I'm sure he's happy to see Max doing well in a new place.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Well Montreal is the vatican of hockey in Canada, of the hockey world in fact. Russian players used to even comment on wanting to play for them. There is no place quite like it. It's the Yankees of hockey. The history, the passion, the knowledge of the fans.

All you have to do is go to a game at the Bell Center on a Saturday night to know this. So I do get what Tie is saying. It sounds disrespectful, but really you would have a hard time finding another organization with the history, and championships the Habs have won.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
at what point does Bettman pull the plug on Phoenix? They've been bleeding millions and millions of dollars for years. Experiment failed

Eh, they technically produced Matthews who will likely generate enough money to make up for what Phoenix hemorrhages every year.

Reactions: Quicklime

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
He's not wrong, sort of.

I mean no disrespect to the dedicated Arizona fans or the players that play there. Those fans and those players are just as real as the fans and players anywhere else in the league. And it's not their fault the market is small. So when we're talking specifically about the organization we shouldn't have to pull our punches and worry about offending people. The facts are the facts, the market has struggled to support the team and the dead cap space they take on is a loophole to avoid having to pay players and it's embarrassing.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
He's not wrong, sort of.

I mean no disrespect to the dedicated Arizona fans or the players that play there. Those fans and those players are just as real as the fans and players anywhere else in the league. And it's not their fault the market is small. So when we're talking specifically about the organization we shouldn't have to pull our punches and worry about offending people. The facts are the facts, the market has struggled to support the team and the dead cap space they take on is a loophole to avoid having to pay players and it's embarrassing.
The market is huge actually. They just don't care about hockey.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
When things are good playing in a market like MTL or Tor is awesome but when they go bad and if you are the player in the barrel that week its rough
That's pretty much everywhere. The way I look at it, in Montreal they are a very knowledgeable group of fans. And they are passionate. I mean any fan base that would riot in the streets as in the Richard riots, are fans most athletes would and should want to play in front of.

Better to play for people that care, than not to care. I've been to games in many cities around the NHL. What I can say is going to the Bell Center on a Saturday is no other feeling I had. It's electric. I often wonder if this is how it would feel going to a Man U game in the UK. Something on my bucket list. I think Tie is just trying to convey this. In a time of standard political answers, I welcome frank honest comments like his.

member 298589

The error is with the GM of Arizona. He dIid not come out and say they are a team.

This is why Dorian is so underrated.
Definitely prevents an existential crisis that I am sure most NHL players go through at some point. Dorion obviously knows the psyche of struggling franchises.

"Are we a team? Are we not a team? Am I a team? Do I even exist?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad