Tie Domi on his son Max playing with Montreal

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
And you're welcome for Steve Nash...what's your point?
Pretty obvious that Matthews is a hockey player (And a fabulous one at that) because the Phoenix Coyotes exist.

As to your point, I am not aware of a HUGE basketball fan base questioning the existence of high school basketball in Victoria.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Same.

If I were an NHL player, Montreal would be the last place I would want to play in.

Playing in the spotlight for a legendary franchise isn't for everyone...

Lots of athletes prefer the easy, less competitive life.

If you aren't competitive and/or don't care about history & playing with pressure, of course sun destinations where no one really cares what happens on the ice is better.

Gamers almost always pick legacy markets where their sport matters when they have UFA freedom

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
Playing in the spotlight for a legendary franchise isn't for everyone...

Lots of athletes prefer the easy, less competitive life.

If you aren't competitive and/or don't care about history & playing with pressure, of course sun destinations where no one really cares what happens on the ice is better.

Gamers almost always pick legacy markets where their sport matters when they have UFA freedom
Every team has die hard fans

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
Sure... But if you're suggesting that playing in Montreal or Toronto is the same as Arizona or Florida, there's probably no point discussing further.
I’m not implying that, I’m implying that the 1000 die hard fans that the yotes have care just as much as any other teams die hard fans

Reactions: HydroF

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I’m not implying that, I’m implying that the 1000 die hard fans that the yotes have care just as much as any other teams die hard fans

I doubt that. There is a massive difference growing up through multiple generations of fandom, and being a new franchise...
The emotional ties are different and more intense.

But, That's irrelevant to the post you quoted. That all teams have some fans has nothing to do with the different level of pressure playing in a marquee market vs an outlier.

The Bonnyville barons have fans, no comparison to playing for the leafs.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
No professional sport in North America has the vast range of anonymity that hockey has.

If you crave the spotlight, and like to be a rockstar, then you would love a market like Montreal. However, I don't think there's alot of guys in this league wired this way.

I'm a Habs fan, but I think it would grate heavily on me if I was a star playing in Montreal. I'd rather have my space, and not feel like everyone knows who I am. I would rather avoid the tmz stuff that comes along with being a celebrity.

Funny thing is they ended up trading one of the few guys who would love this type of exposure in Subban.

Reactions: fivesberg

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Pretty sure you’re alone on this opinion. Although the Mecca of hockey isn’t always a plus it’s def Toronto in 2018. Pretty sure the leafs have a higher attendance standing outside the ACC to watch the playoff game than most teams have inside their arena. Never mind the bars and all that plus most of the main media is Toronto based and the Hockey Hall of Fame where the Stanley cup resides (opening myself up for jokes so fire away) is in Toronto.

You guys have people outside? Is that a Toronto only thing? Is that what mecca means to a Torontonian?You house the Hockey HOF....which is a shrine to Montreal. You dont have a player in your history that would enter into an all time Habs Leafs squad on the first 2 lines. You have a long history....of mostly being second best.

We are the originators of the sport. We have the atmosphere, both in the arena and out of it. You go rah rah outside during playoff games because in the building it sounds like a damn church. And we have the greatest history. BTW, we also have a better recent history.

Thanks for Tim Hortons though. I like a good donut from time to time.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
You guys have people outside? Is that a Toronto only thing? Is that what mecca means to a Torontonian?You house the Hockey HOF....which is a shrine to Montreal. You dont have a player in your history that would enter into an all time Habs Leafs squad on the first 2 lines. You have a long history....of mostly being second best.

We are the originators of the sport. We have the atmosphere, both in the arena and out of it. You go rah rah outside during playoff games because in the building it sounds like a damn church. And we have the greatest history. BTW, we also have a better recent history.

Thanks for Tim Hortons though. I like a good donut from time to time.

Not gunna really take that post seriously just one minor correction hockey originated in Nova Scotia ! The best players come from the OHL.

Thanks for the poutine though !

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Not gunna really take that post seriously just one minor correction hockey originated in Nova Scotia ! The best players come from the OHL.

No problem. This province does provide Canada with whatever food reputation we may have after all. Poutine, smoked meat, bagels, croissants, maple syrup....we are pulling all the weight.

But you cant take my post seriously is equivalent to you admitting you just cant debunk what I stated. The Hall of Fame, if that should count, is just a Habs shrine. Bow down.

Reactions: DrunkenHabz

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Same.

If I were an NHL player, Montreal would be the last place I would want to play in.

That's the difference between being a real hockey guy and not a real one.

If you really are passionate about the game, you dream of going to a place where a whole place dream, think, heat, drink, sleep hockey 365 days a year.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
That's the difference between being a real hockey guy and not a real one.

If you really are passionate about the game, you dream of going to a place where a whole place dream, think, heat, drink, sleep hockey 365 days a year.

Yeah whatever.

I would prefer going to a place where I won't be badgered by amateur critics everywhere I go throughout the city I play in. I don't "dream" of that shit.

Reactions: fivesberg

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Pretty sure you’re alone on this opinion. Although the Mecca of hockey isn’t always a plus it’s def Toronto in 2018. Pretty sure the leafs have a higher attendance standing outside the ACC to watch the playoff game than most teams have inside their arena. Never mind the bars and all that plus most of the main media is Toronto based and the Hockey Hall of Fame where the Stanley cup resides (opening myself up for jokes so fire away) is in Toronto.
He's right, the Mecca is Montreal but the biggest is Toronto.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
French Canadian coach, multiple French Canadian players etc. when they went shopping for a coach ownership wanted French Canadian. Players, French Canadian. Learn how to speak French if you want to play here. They shove it down your throat when you enter that orginazation

Well that is just straight up idiotic, congrats man

Reactions: DrunkenHabz

DrunkenHabz

Jan 10, 2012

Huh, if you really want to go down that road, Hockey originated in Afghanistan by the way. It had nothing to do with ice at some point in the past. You need to seek more unconvincing arguments off of Wikipedia bro, c'mon. But whatever you say, the Stanley Cups don't lie; and that's probably the only real argument there will ever be about which team is supposed to be the Hockey Mecca. Not to mention the Habs could fill at least two full lineups with their legends.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Same.

Lol, you'd rather play for a franchise no one cares about than the greatest Franchise in the sports history?

That would be as foolish as me saying I'd rather play for the Vancouver Grizzlies (if they still existed) than the Lakers.

Reactions: DanM

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Lol, you'd rather play for a franchise no one cares about than the greatest Franchise in the sports history?

That would be as foolish as me saying I'd rather play for the Vancouver Grizzlies (if they still existed) than the Lakers.
If playing for the Lakers meant dealing with the ridiculous media and negative attention of playing for the Habs, then it's exactly as sane, yes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad