News Article: Ticket-hoarding Rangers fans set to invade Philadelphia

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I've gone to many Ranger games in Philadelphia in full gear and the worst problem I ever had was someone throwing pretzels at me and my daughter. We discreetly informed security and they identified and ejected the Flyer fan. For the rest of the game, I had a security guard posted in my section. As long as you don't ask for trouble, you are usually fine there.

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
Any fan fights?

I didn't see any when I went to game 4 but I nearly got into a fight with the d-bag Flyer fans behind me. Worst I saw was like an inch from each other's face kinda argument. No one wants to get thrown out of a playoff game so maybe that's why I didn't see any fights.

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
From what I understand, the Rangers fans pretty much brought it on themselves.

There's a fine line you can't cross with those animals. When I went there I pushed it, but didn't cross it. Believe it or not though, the jerk offs sitting behind me who were taunting me and my buddy and threatening beer showers actually had the decency to shake hands with me immediately after the game and leave it at that. This would never, ever happen in any other sporting event other than hockey in Philly. It's just that (very, very, VERY deep down inside) there's a sense of unity between hockey fans that sometimes reaches the surface. It's just a hell of a lot more rare in Philly.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I hate to be in the position of standing up for Philly sports fans but when I watch those videos I get the distinct impression that those guys were asking for it. I was at game 4 also and of course you get the verbal abuse, especially when you're walking along the concourse, but at no point did I feel physically threatened. You just take the abuse and don't initiate anything with them.

We actually had a funny moment where about 10 rows in front of us someone who was apparently a Rangers fan (although he wasn't wearing any Rangers gear) kept standing up during the game and yelling at everyone around him and acting like he wanted to fight. We joined in on the abuse with the Flyers fans. Sorry man but don't show up to Wells Fargo Center, not even wearing Rangers gear, get drunk and than try to initiate fights with everyone in your section, and expect anybody to support you.

After the game was over we shook hands with the Philly fans in front of us.

So basically, is it rough to wear your gear into Philly during the playoffs? Absolutely. It's the most hostile environment I've watched a hockey game in, far worse than Boston and Montreal. But if you just go into with the expectation that people are going to say stuff to you and you don't try to escalate the confrontation level with them, you'll be fine.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
There's a fine line you can't cross with those animals. When I went there I pushed it, but didn't cross it. Believe it or not though, the jerk offs sitting behind me who were taunting me and my buddy and threatening beer showers actually had the decency to shake hands with me immediately after the game and leave it at that. This would never, ever happen in any other sporting event other than hockey in Philly. It's just that (very, very, VERY deep down inside) there's a sense of unity between hockey fans that sometimes reaches the surface. It's just a hell of a lot more rare in Philly.

I have been to Philly for 3 or 4 Giants-Eagles games, including the old 700 level at the Vet and about 20-25 Rangers-Flyers games. Never had a problem. Closest was after a Flyers-Rangers game. Was in mens room and while I was standing at the urinal some clown said I am lucky I don't get my ass kicked for wearing that jersey. Finished, looked at him and said, "By who? because you are not kicking my ass." He then said, "Yeah, but there are 50 of us in here." I laughed at him and walked away.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
I have been to Philly for 3 or 4 Giants-Eagles games, including the old 700 level at the Vet and about 20-25 Rangers-Flyers games. Never had a problem. Closest was after a Flyers-Rangers game. Was in mens room and while I was standing at the urinal some clown said I am lucky I don't get my ass kicked for wearing that jersey. Finished, looked at him and said, "By who? because you are not kicking my ass." He then said, "Yeah, but there are 50 of us in here." I laughed at him and walked away.

You got lucky because (a) most guys in the bathroom are there because they've been drinking a lot and (b) you're in an enclosed area with no cameras & no security and you could have gotten gang mauled in a room of 50 people with 0 witnesses

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Let's be honest, we don't have a saintly fanbase. There are plenty of Rangers fans who bring it on themselves.

And I hate Philly sports fans.

Jacques Strap

Aug 12, 2005
Now that the Rangers and Rangers fans are gone from Philthy, do the Cryer fans beat each other up after a loss?

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
So I was in 226 for last night's game and three rows back were these two crazy hoes from Philly. Every two seconds "LET'S GO FLYERS". Everybody was yelling back at them. In 227 and 10 rows down two Rangers girls start yelling at at them to shut the f up we're going to beat your ass etc.. Went on for a bunch of the 2nd period. 2nd intermission, the Ranger girls show up in 226 and gets in their face. Security comes and separates them, then another Ranger girl comes to yell at them, as she walks away the Flyer chick tells her she's ugly, so Ranger girl flips out and heads back up, falls on her ass in the stairway. Security just decides to kick out the Flyer fans before anything physical but they were really asking for it

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
I know it's late but what was the turnout like?
On tv it did not look like there were that many, not many more than what would be expected or what Philly had at MSG either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad