Post-Game Talk: Thu., Nov. 7, 2013| Devils 3 at Flyers 0

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Like many have pointed out..to have one of the highest paid if not thee highest paid defense corps in the league and look like garbage from a transition standpoint is pure fail on the GM's part. I still can't believe L Schenn is being benched and freaking Hal "Stand still" Gill is playing over him

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Like many have pointed out..to have one of the highest paid if not thee highest paid defense corps in the league and look like garbage from a transition standpoint is pure fail on the GM's part. I still can't believe L Schenn is being benched and freaking Hal "Stand still" Gill is playing over him

I have no reason to believe this has changed in the last 1.5 years, due to the tremendous gap that existed back then...but it isn't just "one of" the most expensive Ds, it is THE most expensive defense.

We are spending 27.3 mil on Dmen. That isn't including Pronger or MAB.

To compare, Detroit spends 14.25

17.3 for Nashville
19.1 for San Jose
24.7 for St. Louis. That's comparable, but they at least get something close to their money's worth.
22.2 for Phoenix...the difference between having another good forward or not having one.
17.4 for Boston
22.6 for LA...same situation as Phoenix, difference of another good forward.
24.2 for Chicago

Compare our defense to these units on good defensive teams/recent Cup winners and ask, are we getting what we're paying cap dollars for?

This is what happens when you completely neglect the D talent in your prospect pool for years upon years.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Forget Gill, I'm more pissed Meszaros still has a playing spot right now.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I have no reason to believe this has changed in the last 1.5 years, due to the tremendous gap that existed back then...but it isn't just "one of" the most expensive Ds, it is THE most expensive defense.

We are spending 27.3 mil on Dmen. That isn't including Pronger or MAB.

To compare, Detroit spends 14.25

17.3 for Nashville
19.1 for San Jose
24.7 for St. Louis. That's comparable, but they at least get something close to their money's worth.
22.2 for Phoenix...the difference between having another good forward or not having one.
17.4 for Boston
22.6 for LA...same situation as Phoenix, difference of another good forward.
24.2 for Chicago

Compare our defense to these units on good defensive teams/recent Cup winners and ask, are we getting what we're paying cap dollars for?

This is what happens when you completely neglect the D talent in your prospect pool for years upon years.

And yet there are still people defending the architect ........

SuchySays

Jun 25, 2012
Poconos
Hey guys.. did you hear our captain didn't talk to our rat **** reporters after the game?

what an awful guy Giroux is. omfg.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Hey guys.. did you hear our captain didn't talk to our rat **** reporters after the game?

what an awful guy Giroux is. omfg.

While I sort of understand it.....I don't necessarily agree with it. I didn't like it when Richards did it after the Boston debacle and don't like this by G but I'll take it as a one off. He doesn't strike me as the type that will keep doing it and I don't think the organization would accept it either and shouldn't.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If Meszaros is playing next game I will be on the fire Berube train harder than any of you have ever been on the fire Lavi, fire Homer, or just die already Snider train. There is absolutely no reason Schenn and Gus should be sitting over the other garbage Dmen.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
And yet there are still people defending the architect ........

That's not even including the 5.7ish million dollars extra due to Pronger and MAB that we carried in the offseason.

Over 50% of the cap is tied to this defense. That's totally unacceptable to drop that much money into 6 guys on the roster unless those 6 guys are also good offensively.

I used to rag on the Pens org for tying up an insane amount of Cap into only a few players, but hell, at least those players are REALLY good at scoring and hockey in general. We've just got an anchor.

The more I think about this, the more I suspect we have yet another untenable situation that makes another team detonation inevitable. That's going to be really, really, really annoying if true. Edit: I mean, we just had to blow up the offense because it wasn't tenable cap wise. The defense is essentially there too. It's going to be interesting to see if the organization decides this is true and absolutely blows up the D corps again.

Also of note: we carry a lot more Dmen on our roster than most teams. They're just...there. Doing nothing.

What proposed defensive explosions do we have? What could be done that's a long term improvement? Morin is still years off, I guess we can use Gus more, Hagg I have no idea about, and I don't know where Ghost is.

Maybe it won't need to be a huge setback.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
I think I'm now on the bandwagon of trading everyone not named Giroux, Voracek, Mason, Lecavalier, Read, and Couturier. And probably the Schenns too. I guess that doesn't leave much, does it? :laugh:

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Giroux left without comment after game.

I am sure he had Snider's blessing.:sarcasm:

Who in Adirondack possess a two way deal that we could rotate up for a game or two?'

At this point really wouldn't mind sitting Harts, and Simmer for a game.

Bring up Cousins and Akeson?

stop it. this organization will not ever bench a veteran and call up a couple of kids to take their place. This is an organization that constantly gives veterans a free pass for poor play. There is no reason Mez is in this lineup over Gus. NONE. If Gus made the type of mistakes Mez is making he would be banished to the minors. or traded for a 7th round pick.

If Mez isn't waived by tomorrow, Homer should be fired. Seriously, Mez still being on an NHL team is grounds to fire GM.

see above.

I think Simmonds would fail in the ECHL right now.

how dare you talk about Simmer like that man. he is awesome and has a one of a kind skill set. who cares if he cant score goals. he can beat people up man. that is worth something!! :sarcasm:

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Scott Hartnell, Wayne Simmonds, Luke Schenn and Brayden Schenn (unfortunately I'm leaning this way on him) should all be garnering contemplation for being traded while they still have some value. Trade Timonen at the deadline to a contender.

Stock up on firsts rounders for our home draft, sign a few guys in free agency, and start with this for next season.

xxxx-Giroux-Lecavalier
xxxx-Couturier-Voracek
Read-Laughton-xxxx
Rinaldo-Hall-xxxx

Coburn
Grossmann
Streit
Gustafsson
xxxx
xxxx

Mason
xxxx

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Scott Hartnell, Wayne Simmonds, Luke Schenn and Brayden Schenn (unfortunately I'm leaning this way on him) should all be garnering contemplation for being traded while they still have some value. Trade Timonen at the deadline to a contender.

Stock up on firsts rounders for our home draft, sign a few guys in free agency, and start with this for next season.

xxxx-Giroux-Lecavalier
xxxx-Couturier-Voracek
Read-Laughton-xxxx
Rinaldo-Hall-xxxx

Coburn
Grossmann
Streit
Gustafsson
xxxx
xxxx

Mason
xxxx

I wouldn't get rid of the Schenns, the others are useless and can go. Hartnell, Simmonds, Timonen are all hurting the team more than helping right now. Get a good pick out of them if possible and fill their spots with kids from Adirondack who couldn't possibly be worse.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
Score watching at work I knew it was over when the Devils scored in the first.
Not even going to watch the game.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
This is the 06-07 season all over again ... and as a reward for that torture we missed out on Kane, got JVR who turned into a healthy scratch multiple games in a row and is sitting for AndreFknMeszaros. This is worse than being water-boarded. Having to watch this team should be listed as a crime against humanity.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I think I'm now on the bandwagon of trading everyone not named Giroux, Voracek, Mason, Lecavalier, Read, and Couturier. And probably the Schenns too. I guess that doesn't leave much, does it? :laugh:

Giroux, Couturier, Mason and Voracek. The rest can go.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
If you placed an average AHL team in the NHL, how many do you think they'd score? Sure they'd lose most games but I think they'd score more than two in four games.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If you placed an average AHL team in the NHL, how many do you think they'd score? Sure they'd lose most games but I think they'd score more than two in four games.

I think they would lose all games, due to defense and goaltending...but I think they would score more.

Tonight, Couturier deked a Devil out of his jock, and instead of immediately shooting he tried for a terrible pass that was instantly intercepted.

That is our offense in a microcosm. Talent is there...the execution is MIA.

how dare you talk about Simmer like that man. he is awesome and has a one of a kind skill set. who cares if he cant score goals. he can beat people up man. that is worth something!! :sarcasm:

I do think he has a unique skillset. I think he has the ability to destroy Hartnell career-wise.

Will he live up to that ability? Yes, but only after 1) he is traded, or 2) there is a dramatic culture change in Philadelphia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad