Post-Game Talk: Thu., Nov. 7, 2013| Devils 3 at Flyers 0

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Scott Hartnell, Wayne Simmonds, Luke Schenn and Brayden Schenn (unfortunately I'm leaning this way on him) should all be garnering contemplation for being traded while they still have some value. Trade Timonen at the deadline to a contender.

Stock up on firsts rounders for our home draft, sign a few guys in free agency, and start with this for next season.

xxxx-Giroux-Lecavalier
xxxx-Couturier-Voracek
Read-Laughton-xxxx
Rinaldo-Hall-xxxx

Coburn
Grossmann
Streit
Gustafsson
xxxx
xxxx

Mason
xxxx

I am fine with this as long as youth is being traded for youth. I would also expect them to resign Downie. Two years in a row with lottery picks and maybe challenge for a cup in 5.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Schenn Bros are going to be a staple of this franchise for the next 10 years if they aren't traded before then. We would be stupid to do so. Brayden is going to be a beast of a forward in the next year or 2. Everyone would be perfectly happy with the year he's having so far if the rest of the team wasn't sucking as bad as they were. And no one knows why Luke is being scratched.

We need to look for deals like the Clutterbuck+3rd for Nino Niederreiter kind of deal. Except we have a Hartnell and a Timonen and a Coburn. Just need to find the right kind of faltering former top draft pick who had a whole bunch of hype and isn't living up to it on the team he's on.

Last edited:

BillDineen

Aug 9, 2009
Trade for Yakupov .... and then watch him bolt to the K in two years

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I am fine with this as long as youth is being traded for youth. I would also expect them to resign Downie. Two years in a row with lottery picks and maybe challenge for a cup in 5.

I'm not sure how more young unpolished talent will solve the leadship/confidence issues.
Veterans are ok unless they are 35+ players.

And Downie will try to get away from this steaming pile of dung as fast as he can and collect his 4M paycheque somewhere else.

BillDineen

Aug 9, 2009
I'm not sure how more young unpolished talent will solve the leadship/confidence issues.
Veterans are ok unless they are 35+ players.

And Downie will try to get away from this steaming pile of dung as fast as he can and collect his 4M paycheque somewhere else.

I just think the Flyers have a high opinion of Downie. Supposedly it was the Flyers calling the Avs multiple times trying to get him. That is why I assume they want him longer term.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
If there's one thing that needs to be added to the discussion; it's how bad Berube's system is. This 1-4 forecheck is an abomination to the sport, and it's not surprising that the offense is floundering because of it. The rest of the NHL knows that you need constant puck pressure if you want to beat complex NHL defensive schemes, but here he is trying to reincarnate Guy Boucher's failed attempt at a ultra conservative system from two years ago. Like Beef said last night, it's not only playing not to lose, but it's like playing just to keep games at a close loss.

Jumping

Jun 17, 2010
Atlanta Ga
I wouldn't trade anyone I drafted or signed from amateur.

And the sad thing is, that ain't many:

Giroux, Gus, Read, Downie I suppose, Raffl, Rinaldo, Couts...

That's your story right there. If Snider looked at that he should be cleaning house right now. He fired his son, I would think he could fire Holmgren.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
What kind of idiot wants to trade Claude Giroux? Listen i get how mad everyone is but you cant just go around trading your captain who is 25 and has already had a 90+ point season, because the entire organization sucks right now.

Same with anyone who wants to get rid of Matt Read.

As far as the system right now, i think the team is focused on Defense first hockey rather then getting scored on and wind up with 6 goals against like last year, Im personally fine with that but the shots have to hit the net.

Get guys out there with a Shooter Tutor during practice. Pucks aren't hitting the net and you cant go out and put up 20 shots in an nhl game and expect to score.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
G shunning those scrub hacks was his best move of the year :handclap:

It is ok to scratch guys to send a message from time to time, but when the replacements are 2 of the worst players at their position ( and for multiple games) that is insane. As crazy as it sounds, it isn't far off of scratching G and Vinny and replacing them with Rosehill and Jody Shelly !

Legion of Gloom

The Holy Ghost
Jun 20, 2013
Lake Titicaca
What kind of idiot wants to trade Claude Giroux? Listen i get how mad everyone is but you cant just go around trading your captain who is 25 and has already had a 90+ point season, because the entire organization sucks right now.

Same with anyone who wants to get rid of Matt Read.

As far as the system right now, i think the team is focused on Defense first hockey rather then getting scored on and wind up with 6 goals against like last year, Im personally fine with that but the shots have to hit the net.

Get guys out there with a Shooter Tutor during practice. Pucks aren't hitting the net and you cant go out and put up 20 shots in an nhl game and expect to score.

Thee same ones who want to strip him of his C

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
All I'm going to say is that I'm perfectly fine with Gill in the lineup, and I don't give a rat's ass on whether I get flack for this. Meszaros, on the other hand, is too unpredictable. He goes from very good to terrible, so throw him out and put Schenn back in.

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
Schenn Bros are going to be a staple of this franchise for the next 10 years if they aren't traded before then. We would be stupid to do so. Brayden is going to be a beast of a forward in the next year or 2. Everyone would be perfectly happy with the year he's having so far if the rest of the team wasn't sucking as bad as they were. And no one knows why Luke is being scratched.

We need to look for deals like the Clutterbuck+3rd for Nino Niederreiter kind of deal. Except we have a Hartnell and a Timonen and a Coburn. Just need to find the right kind of faltering former top draft pick who had a whole bunch of hype and isn't living up to it on the team he's on.

I think the term staple might be a little too much but in general I agree. Every game I watched him playing center this season, Brayden has been our best forward. It's ridiculous how much difference there is between him as a winger compared to him as a center. Flyers have to find a way to give him 17-18min per game in the middle of the ice and there quickly won't be a lot of people talking about trading him around here.

As for the 1-4 system:
The Flyers don't have enough good skaters to play a puck-pressure orientated defensive system, so they have to sit back more.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
personally I think Gus and Schenn should be playing over Gill and Mez. Gus has performed better then Mez and Gill.
To me, it seems it's hard to compare due to the fact that they're different kind of defenders. Gus definitely outperforms Gill in some areas, but then there are others where Gill wins over. I thought he made a couple of really good plays against the Devils, though it is true he's not going to bring much to the offense, and will possibly be exploited for his speed. He does, however, sometimes know how to make up for that, and even though, say, Gus would be faster in a particular situation, it's not necessarily true the final outcome would be better. In any case, I think it depends on what Berube wants out of that fifth or sixth guy. If he wants added offensive spark, go with Gustafsson, for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad