OT: Thread about Nothing Part 195: Baby it's cold outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

Now imagine the near misses in all the nations that would never make their "nuclear near misses" public information (aka everyone else with nukes).

And the fact that Pakistan.....friggin' Pakistan....has nuclear arms, which is honestly the scariest thing I can conceive.

Yeah, the world is due for a major nuclear mass-killing. Just imagine 25 or 35 years from now when another 5 or 7, smaller, looser, countries also have nuclear weapons. Move to Montana.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Move to Montana.
Wyoming has a much, much better tax rate and a wonderful view of the Tetons.

IMG_20130709_123841_856_zps0785d42b.jpg

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Civil war in Iraq. Oil prices are expected to go up like crazy.

Yeah; it's tough to believe that a cadre of US 3-star and 4-star generals with a lifetime of military experience in multiple wars were right, and Obama with his community organizing experience was wrong.

As for the oil, it really shouldn't go up that much based on supply/demand and Iraq's output, but sadly you're likely correct that it will. Oil tends to trade on the projection of worst-case scenarios rather than the reality of what the current effect of a negative incident is to supply.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
why dont you go over and fight tough guy

Didn't sound like he was being a "tough guy" to me?

Sounded like he was saying the politicians should listen to the Generals and not make political decisions when it comes to these matters....

Seems more than reasonable to me....

I on the other hand am a tough guy. All I would need to do is drop my pants and I could take over the entire middle-east with my wmd.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.

Sounded like he was saying the politicians should listen to the Generals and not make political decisions when it comes to these matters....

I on the other hand am a tough guy. All I would need to do is drop my pants and I could take over the entire middle east with my wmd's

until you lose a member of your family fighting a meaningless war you will be an armchair quarterback living it easy

spending 2 trillion dollars and losing 175k lives is nothing to joke about

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
until you lose a member of your family fighting a meaningless war you will be an armchair quarterback living it easy

spending 2 trillion dollars and losing 175k lives is nothing to joke about

I take this to mean you've lost a family member in Iraq? If so I'm sorry for your loss and my attempt at humor.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007

I on the other hand am a tough guy. All I would need to do is drop my pants and I could take over the entire middle-east with my wmd.

The politicians should listen to the people first. Look at public opinion polls. People were against that war. It was different than Afganistan.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
I take this to mean you've lost a family member in Iraq? If so I'm sorry for your loss and my attempt at humor.

people dont realize that our kids were over there trying to "Americanize" a country that will never be a little America, the same with Afghanistan or any of those places.
Nevermind how much it costs a country thats in debt like we are
Even the great Chris Christe said it's time to stop making the rest of the world "little America's" they don't wanna be like us. Whether we stayed in Iraq another year or ten years, they'll just go back to the way they were.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The politicians should listen to the people first. Look at public opinion polls. People were against that war. It was different than Afganistan.
Public opinion polls? In matters of security, let's face it, we're all too ignorant to have knowledgeable opinions.

I'd rather our leaders do what's right than what is most popular. That is the definition of leadership.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Public opinion polls? In matters of security, let's face it, we're all too ignorant to have knowledgeable opinions.

I'd rather our leaders do what's right than what is most popular. That is the definition of leadership.

I may agree with you but when you had a guy like Cheyney in office and see that he himself made 5 draft deferments during the Vietnam war. It truly makes you shake your head.:shakehead

Last edited:

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.

didnt our leaders say they were building WMD's in Iraq....thats why we went over there?
Our leaders arent always right..then and now

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
No matter what you try to do in Iraq, it nothing more than 2 sects fighting a civil war. A civil war they've been fighting since 632 AD from Pakistan to Morocco. Saddam Hussein kept the country stable because they feared the living heck out of him. Singing kumbaya for a few years and saying to them, arguing in some chamber is better than shooting each other, is not going to change their hatred for each other. Change comes from within.

Getting involved again only rallies both sides to fight a common enemy, the USA. Now that we're out of there, they can go back to hating each other. If the Chinese decided to land 30 million soldiers in San Francisco, do you think we'd invite them over for tea?

Our involvement has been nothing more than a way to secure cheap oil and to placate the Saudis (the real enemies whom finance the fundamentalists) who supply it. We don't need them anymore. Ban crude exports, frack the living hell out of the US, cozy up to Canada and Mexico, and let the rest of the world figure it out.

Everytime we try to place a leader in charge of a place that wasn't seeking to transition to a democracy, blows up in our face.

The link below is a fascinating lecture on the Banana republics and how this same strategy of putting puppets in charge played out 100 YEARS ago.

http://www.c-span.org/video/?311490-1/us-marines-banana-wars

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I may agree with you but when you had a guy like Cheyney in office and see that he himself made 5 draft deferments during the Vietnam war. It truly makes you shake your head.:shakehead

You are going to fault someone for taking a student deferment during Vietnam?

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
You are going to fault someone for taking a student deferment during Vietnam?

One of his deferments was being a new father. You are right that I can not fault him for abiding within the laws. It's when you start digging deeper in to his history that it becomes messy. I am not a fan of his as you can tell. Just want a a peaceful coexistence with the worldwide community with out additional motives.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

Sounded like he was saying the politicians should listen to the Generals and not make political decisions when it comes to these matters.... Seems more than reasonable to me....

Exactly. This was a sad and predictable outcome. The Iraq war may have been a mistake in the first place, but people are being slaughtered now, which is exactly what our military leaders said would happen unless the US stayed a few more years and trained them better / got them more "on their feet" so to speak. It's now a monumental **** up that both political parties can share blame for. Very sad and horrendous situation.

didnt our leaders say they were building WMD's in Iraq....thats why we went over there?
Our leaders arent always right..then and now

While your second point is correct, the jury is still (and forever may be) out on the first point. Before the US invasion in 2003, satellites picked up unusual fleets of 18-wheelers entering Syria via Iraq, and we now sadly know with 100% certainty that Syria has WMD. It's possible Saddam had them moved ahead of the war, which politically makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad