OT: Thread about Nothing Part 195: Baby it's cold outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Kind of like the pixels argument. Many people say they cannot see a difference after 1080p tv's. Probably the same reasons that 4k tv's wont really sell that much. Some still love watching grainy movies from the past and do not like remastered movies. It is a issue of taste. Heck movie theaters in my area were disappointed they could not show movies on film anymore. Now with movies changing frame rate to 48 fps like the hobbit, the feel is different and also the speed. Everyone has a different opinion on how music should sound and how movies should e played. Can't please everyone.

Well when it comes to different TVs playing the same resolution does depend on the type of TV because other factors come into play. A lot of it goes into the chorma and color. For example regular LCD TVs can't actually show true black. The nature of how they project an image prevent it, where as Plasma and I think OLCD can as well. So you could definitely see a difference between TVs.

That said there is a point where your eye just can't tell the difference anymore. I believe 4K is that point, but I might be wrong. I know some are already playing with 8K, but I know it gets to a point where it stops mattering. Especially because at the moment you can't increase immersion in the home so you can't trick the brain into thinking you are actually there in the image (the omnitheater in the Liberty Science Theater is a great example of a screen that can trick the brain).

I doubt we will see 4K broadcasting anytime soon. Hell they still don't broadcast 1080P...I think depending on the network its still 720P or 1080i. Digital Distribution might see it for movies (not sure a hard medium will step in at this point), but broadband coverage in this country is pretty sad so I don't know how long it could take to catch on.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The thing that people are liking about vinyl is that it actually sounds better.

That certainly wasnt my real-life experience, unless the record technology has improved as well in the last 25 years. When CDs came out, they were substantially better than records.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Yea, the rail to the Meadowlands is about 5 years old. The reason the Super Bowl was a mess was the fact that they extremely limited the parking. If Metlife really wanted to they have ample parking for a 250,000 person event. I want to think the NFL had good intentions with the Super Bowl but they failed miserably.

Lol. I would imagine that a guy who works for the red bulls, is a giants and devils fan, and lives not too far from the place would have better insight and/or perception.

The meadowlands is an absolute disaster. Always have been and always will be.

Not many people on this board would know, but edc last weekend is a perfect example of the clusterfuc* that entire area is.

Getting out of Shea, the rock, the Bronx, and the painted turd (msg), are exponentially more pleasant than escaping that swamp.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Lol. I would imagine that a guy who works for the red bulls, is a giants and devils fan, and lives not too far from the place would have better insight and/or perception.

Not many people on this board would know, but edc last weekend is a perfect example of the clusterfuc* that entire area is.

Getting out of Shea, the rock, the Bronx, and the painted turd (msg), are exponentially more pleasant than escaping that swamp.

While I agree leaving the swamp complex is a bad chore, the worst experience I ever had was the stadium game this year in the Bronx.

Due to that I will not attend any Yankees games this season.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
While I agree leaving the swamp complex is a bad chore, the worst experience I ever had was the stadium game this year in the Bronx.

Yeah the Bronx is definitely the worst. I get out of Giants games with less than 5 minutes of
traffic because I know where to park.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Yankee Stadium is usually fine, unless it's a playoff game - then the side streets immediately around the stadium are backed up but once you hit the outer skirts of the Bronx or highways/bridges depending on where you are headed, you've fine there isn't anybody on the road at 11pm except for people who were at the game

As I explained in January, the hockey game was a unique event and it is a completely different fan base and sport than baseball - you literally had 50K people leaving at once, what did you expect? Factor in also that a handful of businesses were open and that most were freezing their ***** off so everybody was in a hurry to get out of that game rather than just hang around

For baseball games, especially regular season, people start leaving within the last few innings so there is far more flow to it, I go to anywhere from 5-10 games a year, park literally across the street from the stadium and have hardly had any issues since the new stadium opened

Regarding the meadowlands, that station is always a mess, it had little to do with the parking situation at the Super Bowl, the parking made it even worse than it already was, there are 2 tracks - aside from it being self explanatory, regular season games are a mess - since this was revolving around a potential Olympic event being held here, many people would be from out of the area and with the trains all over to the different venues in the NYC area, many would likely be taking mass transit as tourists, you'd see more of a local crowd driving in to a meadowlands event

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

The mistake was driving; all the way at least.

Drive to the UWS and park there for free (allow anywhere from 5 minutes to 35 minutes to find a spot). Take the subway right to the stadium for the game. Simple.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Anybody hear about facebooks new microphone? You have to turn it off. Any time you login it is automatically on. Make sure to check your settings. I haven't used facebook for over two years since im ok with email, talk and text but my friend had problems with it. Facebook started mentioning what music he should share with friends based on what music he played in the house:laugh:. Just letting you know.

I was reading some sources that the microphone is not up yet. He must have downloaded some beta or something. Strange.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The mistake was driving; all the way at least.

Drive to the UWS and park there for free (allow anywhere from 5 minutes to 35 minutes to find a spot). Take the subway right to the stadium for the game. Simple.

Just driving into and out of NY is too much of an issue itself. I guess it depends on where you come in from but I pretty much vowed never to drive there unless my life depended on it...which is part of the reason why I only go to two Met games a year at most, the subway's a hassle and time-consuming but at least it's not driving :P

Last edited:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Just driving into and out of NY is too much of an issue itself. I guess it depends on where you come in from but I pretty much vowed never to drive there unless my life depended on it :P

I also value my wheels, parking on some random nyc street is asking for problems.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I assumed he meant a lot or something, but yeah parking on the street provides its own issues depending on where it is.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Settled in to watch History Channel's new "World War II" series, which I was somewhat excited about, and simultaneously somewhat leery about given History Channel's general disregard for history.

I got through about the first 3 1/2 minutes of Episode 1, before the first glaring, BS, highly-speculative, and almost certainly incorrect inaccuracy done solely for viewer drama.......doubtful I'll watch more than just this first episode. :(

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Spurs or Heat in the NBA finals? Make your pick! I will go with the Spurs. Although this will be Miamis fourth year in the finals in a row I think the vets can do this. Duncan is a beast. But Miami wants to create a dynasty. A very interesting series to come. Meh, sticking with the Spurs but it's a coin toss.

Flushing Roots

Jan 18, 2014
Spurs or Heat in the NBA finals? Make your pick! I will go with the Spurs. Although this will be Miamis fourth year in the finals in a row I think the vets can do this. Duncan is a beast. But Miami wants to create a dynasty. A very interesting series to come. Meh, sticking with the Spurs but it's a coin toss.
Spurs. Only because I can't stand to look at LeBron with another ***** eating grin.

Flushing Roots

Jan 18, 2014

+1. I have all of the venues figured out where I can park on the street for free except of course, MetLife.
They have you by the short hairs there. Even at MSG for the Knicks, after 7PM it is free just a few blocks away. No problems in the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, Newark. Just became a Devils STH and one of the added perks for me is that it is 25 minutes from my home with no tolls and I park on the street.
Used to go to CitiField for the Mets and between the tolls and parking (if I chose to park in the lot), it was $50 before I entered the turnstile. And that's not even counting gas.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Settled in to watch History Channel's new "World War II" series, which I was somewhat excited about, and simultaneously somewhat leery about given History Channel's general disregard for history.

I got through about the first 3 1/2 minutes of Episode 1, before the first glaring, BS, highly-speculative, and almost certainly incorrect inaccuracy done solely for viewer drama.......doubtful I'll watch more than just this first episode. :(

Watch the Nova episode about D-day they just aired. 2 hours of info and personal stories I had never heard of. Lots of engineering talk too. Old man who was a medic visiting the grave to find his commander after not even being able to talk about it for 20 years will absolutely crush you inside if you have an ounce of a soul. It was like the opening and ending of Saving Private Ryan but real.

Henry Killinger

Sep 25, 2006
Roanoke, VA
Any recommendations on a turntable? So many price brackets. Honestly I like having physical copies of history. I haven't bought a cd for over 5 years and I only buy blu-rays in the Bargain bin for under $5:laugh:. But Vinyl gets to me. Maybe it is all the effort on the cover and lining? Maybe it is the same reason I buy comics such as the Walking dead and Batman over downloading them. Who knows. I just don't want to buy a garbage turntable with many reviews being different across the internet. Now their are even more turntable makers than before:laugh:.

I started off with a cheap Sony turntable. Wasn't that good, but worked for the time. Then I got an Audio-Technica (http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technic...3883&sr=8-1&keywords=audio-techinca+turntable) and upgraded the cartridge to a Shure M97xE. This setup served me well for the last 5 years. I wanted to get away from a DJ table, so this year I upgraded to the Orbit Plus from U-Turn Audio (http://store.uturnaudio.com/products/orbit-plus-turntable). The biggest selling points for me being the acrylic platter and the Grado cartridge, all for a price comparable or better than a Rega, Pro-ject or Music Hall table.
This is just the beginning though LOL! You will spend lots of money to get the setup you think sounds great, then you will hear someone play a record for you thru a tube amplifier and you quest will begin anew and you wallet will be empty again. Still love it though.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Watch the Nova episode about D-day they just aired. 2 hours of info and personal stories I had never heard of.

Cool, hadnt heard of that.

Anyone going to the Belmont Saturday?

Would have had I bought tickets after the KD when they were $60 for the cheapest third-level seats. After the Preakness they went to $175. I wanted to go, but I rolled the dice knowing I could get cheap seats had there been split winners in the first 2 races.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad