OT: Thread about Nothing Part 195: Baby it's cold outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Who would have thought the NHL Finals would actually be more competitive than the NBA Finals?

(and yes I know both series were 4-1, but three straight blowouts compared to three OT games?!)

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Who would have thought the NHL Finals would actually be more competitive than the NBA Finals?

(and yes I know both series were 4-1, but three straight blowouts compared to three OT games?!)

The play by play guys were mentioning how 5 years ago people were saying the window was closing for the Spurs. They have been contenders or won in those 5 years. Tim Duncan said people seem to overate age.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
I can't remember the last time I've seen a superstar player completely fall of the earth like Dwyane Wade has. Dude is 32 and looked like he was 65 out there. It really was hilarious to see how this unfolded after Game 1. Miami was no different than Cleveland circa 2006-2010. There going to go hard after Carmelo now. As crazy as that sounds, they can make it work money wise if the big three opt out and then opt back in with new deals and then they jettison the old farts on the roster.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
I can't remember the last time I've seen a superstar player completely fall of the earth like Dwyane Wade has. Dude is 32 and looked like he was 65 out there. It really was hilarious to see how this unfolded after Game 1. Miami was no different than Cleveland circa 2006-2010. There going to go hard after Carmelo now. As crazy as that sounds, they can make it work money wise if the big three opt out and then opt back in with new deals and then they jettison the old farts on the roster.

That's a little harsh. The Heat made it to the finals 4 years in a row. Won the Championship 2 of those years. The Spurs were the better team in the regular season and the playoffs. Just like in the NHL the road was tougher in the west.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I was just at a bar having a drink and there were these people kicking a round ball on TV...and then all of a sudden everyone starting cheering....very strange

I think we invaded some country :dunno:

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I was just at a bar having a drink and there were these people kicking a round ball on TV...and then all of a sudden everyone starting cheering....very strange

I think we invaded some country :dunno:

did you almost see a goal?

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Through 5 days this World Cup has been about as exciting as possible; if you dont like what you've seen so far, I'd hazard a guess you'll never like soccer.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The Forbes list of highest paid athletes.

1. Floyd Mayweather: $105 million
2. Cristiano Ronaldo: $80 million
3. LeBron James: $72.3 million
4. Messi: $64.7 million
5. Kobe Bryant: $61.5 million
6. Tiger Woods: $61.2 million
7. Roger Federer: $56.2 million
8. Phil Mickelson: $53.2 million
9. Rafael Nadal: $44.5 million
10. Matt Ryan: $43.8 million*

There are no hockey players (in the top-100) for a third straight year. Sidney Crosby came closest at $16.5 million.

http://www.forbes.com/athletes/

*What?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Through 5 days this World Cup has been about as exciting as possible; if you dont like what you've seen so far, I'd hazard a guess you'll never like soccer.

the highlights have been entertaining...but to sit through an entire match? sweet jesus. I got bored PLAYING soccer as a kid. but to each their own I suppose

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
I hardly watch soccer outside of the WC. Watched the whole game yesterday. Anything that gets me rooting for the USA will catch my interest.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
A foot of snow fell at Alta yesterday and people went powder skiing.......in June. :amazed:

I might have to check out Utah. Awesome skiing, low taxes, one of the most affordable states in America, great trout fishing, and plenty of jobs.

http://blog.skiutah.com/matt/how-to-properly-end-a-ski-season

One of my best friends is from Utah, some of the laws are a bit bizarre...I've heard it said Utah is the closest thing to a religious state in the US.

I've spent more than a little time and I've never noticed it...I was told I didn't notice it because A. I didn't live there and B. I didn't work there and C. I only hung out on rivers and Park City...

Apparently the Mormon culture is dominate and a bit scary to some. Don't bother me though.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Apparently the Mormon culture is dominate and a bit scary to some. Don't bother me though.

I cant imagine that would bother me in the least. The Mormons I've known have been some of the nicest, most super-polite people I've ever met in my life.

I really want to check out Utah, Montana, and Wyoming in the next 5 years, and give serious consideration to one of the Carolinas as well. In a former life I was paid to predict the future, and I don't forecast good things for New Jersey in the next 20 years. And as a finance person, buying a house here is incomprehensible to me. Growing up I thought I'd live here forever, now I think that's likely not possible. It makes me very sad.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
A basket of puppies will always cheer me up though.

pups-in-basket-4.jpg

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
*And as a finance person, buying a house here is incomprehensible to me. Growing up I thought I'd live here forever, now I think that's likely not possible. It makes me very sad.

This describes my feelings to a T.
I fell in love with the West at 18 years old. Even then I could never imagine myself living any other place than NJ. I wish I made the move then.

I went to visit my girlfriends (now my wife) father in Aspen in 1988 and I didn't want to leave. So much so I stayed there for 7 months and wanted to go to U of Colorado in Boulder...I was accepted but I was convinced to go to school in Boston instead I wish I didn't make that decision. 18 year olds are too stupid to make life long decisions.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I always said I would never buy a house in Jersey unless I won the lottery. I always wanted to move down here anyway, so I came down here. Was able to buy in cash with saved money, and an inheritance from my grandparents from the 90s. This money would have been a 30 percent down payment up home. :shakehead

Of course I don't make nearly as much, but I don't need to. I have a place to live forever, and all I have to pay is taxes (about 25 percent of what it is in jersey) and homeowners insurance. Bought this place in 2010, moved here in September of 2011 and plan to die here someday in many many years from now. I have so many friends up in Jersey who complain about money problems. I tell them to simply get the **** out of Jersey man. I do miss the food and devils games though. :(

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
This describes my feelings to a T.
I fell in love with the West at 18 years old. Even then I could never imagine myself living any other place than NJ. I wish I made the move then.

I went to visit my girlfriends (now my wife) father in Aspen in 1988 and I didn't want to leave. So much so I stayed there for 7 months and wanted to go to U of Colorado in Boulder...I was accepted but I was convinced to go to school in Boston instead I wish I didn't make that decision. 18 year olds are too stupid to make life long decisions.

The average age of Children staying with parents has risen here by a lot. It is now 26 years old and climbing lol. Mortgages are so expensive here on the west coast and Asian investors are inflating prices here. A friend of mine is in the real estate market and he says that a lot of houses have no one living inside. Imagine buying houses or condos for over a million dollars and they are not owned by citizens of the country. Hopefully in the U.S. certain regulations have been already established.

In general prices will be going up everywhere. Austin Texas to my surprise has the fastest population growth yet the unemployment rate is at only 4.5%!

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Here are the top 20 most expensive real estate cities in North America.

http://business.financialpost.com/2014/03/05/north-americas-top-20-housing-markets-vancouver-the-most-expensive-on-continent-while-toronto-calgary-beat-new-york-city/

10 most expensive cities
1.VANCOUVER Average home price: US$733,335
2.SAN FRANCISCO Average home price: US$682,410
3.SAN DIEGO Average home price: US$476,790
4.TORONTO Average home price: US$475,206
5.LOS ANGELES Average home price: US$423,900
6.CALGARY Average home price: US$400,000
7.NEW YORK CITY Average home price: US$386,300
8.BOSTON Average home price: US$371,300
9WASHINGTON DC Average home price: US$368,000
10.SEATTLE Average home price: US$344,400

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The average age of Children staying with parents has risen here by a lot. It is now 26 years old and climbing .

Unemployment is worst among the young, significantly higher than the national average.

This will have a negative forward impact on US housing prices as the generation of 20-somethings earning power is delayed or in some sad worst-case scenarios, permanently impaired; but what is not delayed is their now record high student loan debt.

This negatively impacts their buying ability and credit worthiness, and access to mortgages isn't "wild west easy" as it once was. With this key "first-time homebuyer" segment impaired, you're now hurting the "moving on up" second home sales as well. It's like a real estate food chain and by harming the lower rung, you're eventually over time going to see this feed all the way to the higher rungs of the real estate ladder (this last bit will take some years though). Not to mention, interest rates only have one possible direction to go, and inflation will eventually rear its' ugly head as a consequence of the US government printing USDs like monopoly money the last few years.

It could get ugly.....

Mortgages are so expensive here on the west coast and Asian investors are inflating prices here. A friend of mine is in the real estate market and he says that a lot of houses have no one living inside. Imagine buying houses or condos for over a million dollars and they are not owned by citizens of the country.

When the Chinese economy implodes, and it will, that issue will be "resolved" so to speak.

They will have liquidity problems at home in China, partially due to the economic crash, partially due to a lack of domestic asset diversification due to the fact that real estate is one of the few things Chinese can invest in, and partially due to the Communist government's heavy regulations itself. When that time comes, they will sell their California and Vancouver homes en masse, which will send the prices in those areas lower.

NorwegianDevil

Jul 13, 2012
Trondheim, Norway
Kinda OT but I guess that this is the thread for it!

My hometown club just got denied their license to play in the Norwegian top tier this year. The reason? Poor economics, paychecks that should have been out 5 months ago and so on!:P

They have now started a rescue mission to save the club and also give me a reason to live :) Lets face it, the Devils wont be competing for the Stanley Cup next year!:D

Right now, they are about 100k Norwegian kr short of their target which is 250k Kr, which gotta be in before Tuesday!:P

Just wondering if you got any ideas on how we can raise some cash?

If I dont get to see hockey live this year, ill do something reaaaaaally crazy!

Lous Special Sauce

Aug 16, 2013
One of my best friends is from Utah, some of the laws are a bit bizarre...I've heard it said Utah is the closest thing to a religious state in the US.

I've spent more than a little time and I've never noticed it...I was told I didn't notice it because A. I didn't live there and B. I didn't work there and C. I only hung out on rivers and Park City...

Business sent me to Utah(salt lake) for 2-3 months a couple of years ago, the place is pretty laid back and beautiful. The outdoor activities are endless and hiking/wildlife etc is great (even got within 10 feet or so of a moose 100% by mistake). They have extremely strange laws especially involving alcohol. Never buy beer in a supermarket there, it has less alcohol due to their strange laws.

However as nice as every mormon that I encountered was (even made a few friends) the religion does dominate the whole city, the longer your there the more you realize how much impact they have on the city. It does get annoying, even the road signs/ city layout/ state bird all tie back to the religion and stories of how they came to be. First month I was pretty oblivious to it, by the time I left i was kinda tired of it (didn't impact me or effect me) just all the stories and constantly being around it was enough to know I could only ever live there short term (under 2 years is what I'm guessing).

I did have a great time while I was there though (even saw some grizzlies echl games). Just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad