OT: Thread About Nothing 212….wishing it was 2112

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
@njdevils1982

One other fly tyers and video I think you'd get a kick out of. The video is really long because Kelly is doing a true tutorial here but can watch the first minute to get his or so to get him. He is awesome and really nice guy....Many companies have told that won't carry his flies unless he changes the names...not a chance.

will give this a proper view tonight….something to look forward to

Reactions: JimEIV

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
will give this a proper view tonight….something to look forward to
It is long with a lot of details...You might not want to watch the whole thing. It is an "articulated steamer" pattern.

Streamers are baitfish patterns and "articulated" in fly tying is joining two(or more) hooks to impart movement in the fly. So these patterns are essentially tying two flies and joining them together.

This guy is the master of large streamer patterns.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Just got a call from my old man. Going to see the mother fkn Stones in October!!
Parsons%20Jagger%20&%20Keef%20Cartoon

Reactions: LeedsMonster

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I usually don't like things that I am told I am supposed to. Especially when it comes to music. I remember being 14 years old and in a car with my cousin and 3 of his friends who were all 17/18 years old.

Bob Dylan Like a Rolling Stone came on the radio and I said "what the hell is this Appalachian hillbilly shit". I'm telling you it was like cartoons when the record needle screech across the record and everything got quiet....they stared at me and then went off..."great writer" blah, blah blah "you don't know what you are talking about" blah, blah blah...and I said...this dude sounds like he should be on Hee-Haw with straw hat and corn cob pipe dacing around a moonshine jug.

They threatened to kick me out of the car but then let me put my Judas Priest Screaming for Vengeance cassette in the radio.

That scenario with these guys happen at least a half dozen times with music gods that I am supposed to admire no questions asked.

Reactions: JK3 and RangerDoggo

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I usually don't like things that I am told I am supposed to. Especially when it comes to music. I remember being 14 years old and in a car with my cousin and 3 of his friends who were all 17/18 years old.

Bob Dylan Like a Rolling Stone came on the radio and I said "what the hell is this Appalachian hillbilly shit". I'm telling you it was like cartoons when the record needle screech across the record and everything got quiet....they stared at me and then went off..."great writer" blah, blah blah "you don't know what you are talking about" blah, blah blah...and I said...this dude sounds like he should be on Hee-Haw with straw hat and corn cob pipe dacing around a moonshine jug.

They threatened to kick me out of the car but then let me put my Judas Priest Screaming for Vengeance cassette in the radio.

That scenario with these guys happen at least a half dozen times with music gods that I am supposed to admire no questions asked.
Dylan made one of the worst Christmas albums of all time. It’s not clear whether he was in on the joke or not.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.

according to "other" people I hang with I like some of the worst music ever made, and some of the best music ever made! There is no right and wrong, I'm in my 50's and people look at me "funny" when I tell them I still listen to Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Sex Pistols etc!, I like what I like and thats all I give a shit about, but I never tell them they "should" listen to this or that, but they tell me what I should listen to for some reason. These people are supposedly smarter than me but are 300k in debt while I don't owe anyone a nickel, so who's really more "mature" lol. F' em

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Speaking of 2112, going to see Primus Tribute to Kings at the Pony in September. So hyped.

I have never seen a show at the Stone Pony and feel like less of a New Jerseyan because of it

Same. Really looking forward to it. Plus the Sword is opening and I dig them. Sure they're a Sabbath/ Zeppelin rip off, but they're a really good rip off. Think Wolfmother is on the bill too

It's a great venue even without the history factor, been going there as soon as I started driving. The area around it has gotten much better since I first started going. You use to be able to park anywhere cause the meters never worked lol now you can pay through an app with your license plate lol

There's a pinball place down the street in walking distance on the boardwalk that has a huge assortment of machines and you can pay like $10 to play them all if you wanna kill some time before the show.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
according to "other" people I hang with I like some of the worst music ever made, and some of the best music ever made! There is no right and wrong, I'm in my 50's and people look at me "funny" when I tell them I still listen to Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Sex Pistols etc!, I like what I like and thats all I give a shit about, but I never tell them they "should" listen to this or that, but they tell me what I should listen to for some reason. These people are supposedly smarter than me but are 300k in debt while I don't owe anyone a nickel, so who's really more "mature" lol. F' em
Exactly. I listen to exactly the same stuff and have zero debt...maybe something to it :laugh:

I do like a lot of the early 90's Seattle stuff (I loath the term grunge and never use it). But old metal and some punk is what I like most. I never turn off a Zeppelin song and love most of their stuff through all of their facets. Rush is the first band I followed, AC/DC Dirty Deeds was the first Album I bought (from Pathmark in Fairlawn NJ)

But that's me and I don't care if someone else doesn't like it.

Last edited:

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Exactly. I listen to exactly the same stuff and have zero debt...maybe something to it :laugh:

I do like a lot of the early 90's Seattle stuff (I loath the term grunge and never use it). But old metal and some punk is what I like most. I never turn off a Zeppelin song and love most of there stuff through all of their facets. Rush is the first band I followed, AC/DC Dirty Deeds was the first Album I bought (from Pathmark in Fairlawn NJ)

But that's me and I don't care if someone else doesn't like it.
almost exactly the same here, Zepplin, as good as it gets, Rush was huge when I was in high school and I still love hearing them, AC/DC ... nothing more needs to be said (although I like their earlier stuff the most) and when the Seattle scene became popular I was a Born again..musician! It was rock and roll the way its supposed to be, guitar, bass, drums and vocals. Just wondering why you hate the term "Grunge"?, and do you hate all labels? Metal, Thrash,Punk etc???

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
almost exactly the same here, Zepplin, as good as it gets, Rush was huge when I was in high school and I still love hearing them, AC/DC ... nothing more needs to be said (although I like their earlier stuff the most) and when the Seattle scene became popular I was a Born again..musician! It was rock and roll the way its supposed to be, guitar, bass, drums and vocals. Just wondering why you hate the term "Grunge"?, and do you hate all labels? Metal, Thrash,Punk etc???

Your post mirrors my experience to a "T"

The term "Grunge" seemed like a negative term to me...I know it's not, but I always felt like it was a bit dismissive of the music...I think the term made people think of flannel shirts, depressed teenagers and opioid addiction more than the music...So I always called it Seattle Sound.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
You're post mirrors my experience to a "T"

The term "Grunge" seemed like a negative term to me...I know it's not, but I always felt like it was a bit dismissive of the music...I think the term made people think of flannel shirts, depressed teenagers and opioid addiction more than the music...So I always called it Seattle Sound.
I agree, but I also think it was the exact opposite of "Hair" bands, a kind of "in your face" term, superficial vs real., because the Seattle "Grunge" scene sort of kicked out the Hair bands
Just how I looked at it, not offended, but OK with being down and dirty!

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Your post mirrors my experience to a "T"

I think you can recognize the talent even if you don’t enjoy it that much. I recognize that Jimi Hendrix was incredible even if I don’t enjoy listening to his stuff except in small doses. Same with SRV. I’ve never loved Dylan but I acknowledge he was a very gifted lyrical storyteller. It’s just a perspective thing. I’m guessing when I was younger I would have said the same thing you did about him. I sort of felt that way about Springsteen until a buddy dragged me to a concert of his where we sat in the third row. Wow. That was an experience.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
I always enjoy when famous acts do covers of other acts I like. I also loved when Green Day covered the Ramones for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction.
Some of the biggest hits by famous bands were "covers" look at Clapton, a whole bunch of "his" hits were covers, Santana, Black Magic Woman, still waiting for a good cover of Helter Skelter though!, you know, real heavy with distortion and feedback and strong vocals, oh we can do this all day long! I'll leave with a heavy cover of Summertime Blues by Blue Cheer covering the Who, or Eddie Cochran, take your pick, this is one of those, "its so bad its good" !!

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
It's a great venue even without the history factor, been going there as soon as I started driving. The area around it has gotten much better since I first started going. You use to be able to park anywhere cause the meters never worked lol now you can pay through an app with your license plate lol

There's a pinball place down the street in walking distance on the boardwalk that has a huge assortment of machines and you can pay like $10 to play them all if you wanna kill some time before the show.
Awesome. Thanks for the tip man.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
One thing though...no matter the genre, I'll always enjoy a live performance.

A real one. not a computer generated one...not tracked vocals or music...just a person or group of people on a stage playing their instruments naturally...I will always admire that no matter what type of music it is

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think you can recognize the talent even if you don’t enjoy it that much. I recognize that Jimi Hendrix was incredible even if I don’t enjoy listening to his stuff except in small doses. Same with SRV. I’ve never loved Dylan but I acknowledge he was a very gifted lyrical storyteller. It’s just a perspective thing. I’m guessing when I was younger I would have said the same thing you did about him. I sort of felt that way about Springsteen until a buddy dragged me to a concert of his where we sat in the third row. Wow. That was an experience.
I feel that way about Springsteen too but don't tell anybody because I still have to live here :laugh:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I always enjoy when famous acts do covers of other acts I like. I also loved when Green Day covered the Ramones for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction.
Me too...but I find I like it because it's usually live.

Reactions: My3Sons

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Musician related story time!

My dad was married to Lou Reed’s cousin for a few years before ending up with my mom (they met in college). My sister crunched some numbers after Lou died, and there was overlap with the marriage and the time when he moved back in with his parents on Long Island after Velvet Underground broke up. They encountered each other a couple of times.

My sister once asked my dad if he had any cool stories to share, so he told her of a time when he went over to the family house in Long Island. My dad and Lou were in the car together on the way to Thanksgiving. Dad’s more of a folk music fan (particularly Phil Ochs) than a rock fan, but he listened to some Velvet Underground before the ride.

My dad told Lou that his music reminded him of Steve Miller Band. That pissed him off, and to this day my dad isn’t exactly sure why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad