OT: Thread About Nothing 212….wishing it was 2112

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Musician related story time!

My dad was married to Lou Reed’s cousin for a few years before ending up with my mom (they met in college). My sister crunched some numbers after Lou died, and there was overlap with the marriage and the time when he moved back in with his parents on Long Island after Velvet Underground broke up. They encountered each other a couple of times.

My sister once asked my dad if he had any cool stories to share, so he told her of a time when he went over to the family house in Long Island. My dad and Lou were in the car together on the way to Thanksgiving. Dad’s more of a folk music fan (particularly Phil Ochs) than a rock fan, but he listened to some Velvet Underground before the ride.

My dad told Lou that his music reminded him of Steve Miller Band. That pissed him off, and to this day my dad isn’t exactly sure why.

I knew Reed’s manager from his RCA days. It sounds like Reed was an unhappy person

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Musician related story time!

My dad was married to Lou Reed’s cousin for a few years before ending up with my mom (they met in college). My sister crunched some numbers after Lou died, and there was overlap with the marriage and the time when he moved back in with his parents on Long Island after Velvet Underground broke up. They encountered each other a couple of times.

My sister once asked my dad if he had any cool stories to share, so he told her of a time when he went over to the family house in Long Island. My dad and Lou were in the car together on the way to Thanksgiving. Dad’s more of a folk music fan (particularly Phil Ochs) than a rock fan, but he listened to some Velvet Underground before the ride.

My dad told Lou that his music reminded him of Steve Miller Band. That pissed him off, and to this day my dad isn’t exactly sure why.

I knew Reed’s manager from his RCA days. It sounds like Reed was an unhappy person

and with that its time to revisit the pizza underground! (yes, thats macaulay culkin)

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
damn….missed this from a few days a go…..dusty hill dead at 72

I had seen that. ZZ Top hasn’t been in the public eye for some time even if Gibbons is still a public figure of some note. They certainly had their run in the MTV era. Hopefully he accomplished all that he wanted to.

Reactions: njdevils1982

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
damn….missed this from a few days a go…..dusty hill dead at 72
Wow I love ZZ, and didn't hear this since I don't listen to regular radio much anymore. Jimmy Fink a local NY DJ wrote he interviewed ZZ Top and all they did was fart during the interview! Peak DJs

this is from Wiki, (they're not sure of the exact day or reason for his death)
Hill cited Cream bassist Jack Bruce and jazz bassists Stanley Clarke and Charles Mingus as early influences.[3] He said he used to play more complicated bass parts, but came to prioritize composition over complexity
Texas Governor Greg Abbott wrote on Twitter: "Today we lost a great friend and a remarkable Texan."[13] Several rock musicians and contemporaries paid condolences through social media, including Paul Stanley, Ozzy Osbourne, John Fogerty, Flea, Zakk Wylde, Tony Iommi, David Coverdale, Scorpions and the Allman Brothers Band.

Gillette offered Dusty Hill and Billy Gibbons a million dollars each to shave their beards off, and they said "no we're too ugly without them"!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Wow I love ZZ, and didn't hear this since I don't listen to regular radio much anymore. Jimmy Fink a local NY DJ wrote he interviewed ZZ Top and all they did was fart during the interview! Peak DJs

this is from Wiki, (they're not sure of the exact day or reason for his death)
Hill cited Cream bassist Jack Bruce and jazz bassists Stanley Clarke and Charles Mingus as early influences.[3] He said he used to play more complicated bass parts, but came to prioritize composition over complexity
Texas Governor Greg Abbott wrote on Twitter: "Today we lost a great friend and a remarkable Texan."[13] Several rock musicians and contemporaries paid condolences through social media, including Paul Stanley, Ozzy Osbourne, John Fogerty, Flea, Zakk Wylde, Tony Iommi, David Coverdale, Scorpions and the Allman Brothers Band.

Gillette offered Dusty Hill and Billy Gibbons a million dollars each to shave their beards off, and they said "no we're too ugly without them"!!!

…..but did they offer the million to frank beard to change his name? :sarcasm:

anyway…..dusty rippin' this one out…..f***in' love this tune

Reactions: The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
…..but did they offer the million to frank beard to change his name? :sarcasm:

anyway…..dusty rippin' this one out…..f***in' love this tune

also one of my faves, (nice version here thanks) we used to light bonfires in the woods near me back in the 80's and get a keg, turn up the boom-box and we'd all sign along to heard it on the X, I heard it, I heard it, I heard it on the X !!!!!!

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Saw ZZ Top at MSG in the early 90's really went to see the the Black Crows who opened for them. Very good show by the Crows.

Pretty sure ZZ Top wasn't playing and it was a total lip sync stage show

Reactions: My3Sons

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
Yeah, sad day when Hill passed away. Eliminator is one of my favorite rock albums of all time.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Saw ZZ Top at MSG in the early 90's really went to see the the Black Crows who opened for them. Very good show by the Crows.

Pretty sure ZZ Top wasn't playing and it was a total lip sync stage show

Seriously? did they have a reputation for doin that?
I went to see Black Sabbath with Billy Milano at the Meadowlands and WASP opened for Sabbath, and Billy told me there was a guitarist back stage playing for Blackie Lawless, I couldnt tell tho, I think Billy just hated him (and every other musician not named Milano)

Reactions: JimEIV

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Seriously? did they have a reputation for doin that?
I went to see Black Sabbath with Billy Milano at the Meadowlands and WASP opened for Sabbath, and Billy told me there was a guitarist back stage playing for Blackie Lawless, I couldnt tell tho, I think Billy just hated him (and every other musician not named Milano)
I don't know if they had a reputation for doing it or not. The show was a lot of theater. It was the "Recycler" tour and the stage was setup like a junkyard... at one point the guys get vacuumed up a giant tube and go through a trash compactor and got spit out as cubes...all while the song and vocals are still going ..it was a bit ridiculous. Especially after seeing the Black Crows who were so raw, pure good rock music, ZZ Top looked like Disney

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
I don't know if they had a reputation for doing it or not. The show was a lot of theater. It was the "Recycler" tour and the stage was setup like a junkyard... at one point the guys get vacuumed up a giant tube and go through a trash compactor and got spit out as cubes...all while the song and vocals are still going ..it was a bit ridiculous. Especially after seeing the Black Crows who were so raw, pure good rock music, ZZ Top looked like Disney
I cant believe ZZ Top would do that, but they sold out with the Eliminator album and quickly went down hill, that sounds kinda nutty having the stage setup like that, people get "funny' when they get old! Maybe they were in some serious debt and their manager tried to jack up their popularity to sell some big gigs?

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Parsons%20Jagger%20&%20Keef%20Cartoon

thats quite the wyman sound on bass……im thinking flat wound strings

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I cant believe ZZ Top would do that, but they sold out with the Eliminator album and quickly went down hill, that sounds kinda nutty having the stage setup like that, people get "funny' when they get old! Maybe they were in some serious debt and their manager tried to jack up their popularity to sell some big gigs?
I believe it was a formulated tour drummed up...Budweiser was the sponsor of the event and Chris Robinson went on rant about how corporate was ruining concerts...they got kicked off the tour. I don't know the details.

But the tour definitely felt like a franchise event to generate revenue. ...like Jaws 3 in 3D

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
thats quite the wyman sound on bass……im thinking flat wound strings
dont know what type strings he used, but how about that twangy guitar Brian Jones was playing! and Kieth Richards doing his best Beatle imitation! John and Paul wrote that song and said "hey mates, we've got a song for ya" when they shared a cab in London one day, or so the story goes!

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
I believe it was a formulated tour drummed up...Budweiser was the sponsor of the event and Chris Robinson went on rant about how corporate was ruining concerts...they got kicked off the tour. I don't know the details.

But the tour definitely felt like a franchise event to generate revenue. ...like Jaws 3 in 3D
things (concerts) got crazy in the 80's with the "big production" yeah definitely less about the music and more about the "show"

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
fender's on it…..october

Fender to reissue the Kurt Cobain-designed Jag-Stang guitar to mark the 30th anniversary of Nirvana’s Nevermind

(personally i prefer playing my goldtop with P90s over fender guitars)
I see that article isn't from the U.S. ? because the price is in Lira?
possible the album was released over there later?
maybe we should ask Siri !!!
from Wiki
ReleasedSeptember 24, 1991
RecordedApril 1990; May 2–19, June 1991[1]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
anyhoot
I play a one of a kind guitar that as far as I know its the only one in the world
its me air-guitar !

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I see that article isn't from the U.S. ? because the price is in Lira?
possible the album was released over there later?
maybe we should ask Siri !!!
from Wiki
ReleasedSeptember 24, 1991
RecordedApril 1990; May 2–19, June 1991[1]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
anyhoot
I play a one of a kind guitar that as far as I know its the only one in the world
its me air-guitar !

funny thing….i play real guitar right handed but air guitar left on purpose just to mess with people when they ask "oh you play left handed?"

to which i reply, 'just when i play air guitar'

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
fender's on it…..october

Fender to reissue the Kurt Cobain-designed Jag-Stang guitar to mark the 30th anniversary of Nirvana’s Nevermind

(personally i prefer playing my goldtop with P90s over fender guitars)
funny thing….i play real guitar right handed but air guitar left on purpose just to mess with people when they ask "oh you play left handed?"

to which i reply, 'just when i play air guitar'
I play lefty and the one thing that irks me is I couldn't get my Gretsch with a Bigsby tail. The only lefties with the Bigsby are the White Falcon and the Nashville Player. Really sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->