Thoughts on the rebuild? PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Again, a third round pick has about a 30% of ever making the NHL.
No big loss.

The Money saved, by not paying the bonus money, pays for Ron Hainsey.

So it could be seen as a third round pick for Hainsey ..............who could very well be traded at the TDL, for another pick, perhaps even a 3rd.

Why so many tears have been shed for this 3rd round pick is mind boggling. NHL GMs trade picks for similar and other reasons ................. but for some people, its almost like the end world, as we know it.

Again, we are supposed to be relying upon the draft to find our star players because we are a rebuilding budget team. We don't have the luxury of signing Tavares to huge money.

Not to mention, your proposition relies upon an "IF" we can trade Hainsey for a 3rd round pick, and that's a big if due to performance, health, and trade market. We could have still signed Hainsey and kept the 3rd round pick that we traded and then IF Hainsey was traded we could have had two 3rd round picks. Then we could have used those two 3rd's to trade up in the 2020 draft or use them to get players that will actually improve the team, or just kept them and had two 3rd's aka two 30% chances at an NHL player.

Reactions: Alex1234

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I keep trying to decide which team is a bigger shit show in professional sports: the New York Knicks or the Ottawa Senators.

On one hand you have James Dolan, on the other Eugene Melnyk.

The Knicks basically gave away their young superstar with the hope to woo Durant and Irving to sign in the offseason and they completely struck out, even in the draft lottery. No Zion, no Kyrie, no KD, no KP. The free agent duo lands at their Rival's in Brooklyn.

Absolute f***ing gong show and then owner has completely poisoned the well to the point no one wants to play for one of the most important franchises in the world.

Then we have the Sens and Eugene. Unlike Dolan, he can't afford to go big game hunting. Because of his finances, we bleed talent and have become the league's farm team. Our GM is a human punching bag that seemingly every GM is getting to take advantage of.

No one wants to play for either guy but Eugene souldnt afford to pay them even if they did want to be here (like Karlsson or Stone).

We're the biggest shit show. There is no rebuild until Melnyk is gone, one way or another. We will continue to lose our stars every year. Dorion will continue to bleed picks away to avoid spending. We will be the worst team in hockey forever until a big change is made at the top. No sane person would have kept such a proven failure in place like Dorion. We're only at the tip of the iceberg here. There is still more pain to be had. Chabot will likely leave either next year or when his next contract expires. Tkachuk will play hardball in negotiating his 2nd contract. He will be traded. Melnyk will threaten to relocate again, and it will be a real threat this time. Houston and KC are calling. And guess what? We won't care. Melnyk is seeding apathy within the fanbase. I grew up with this team and I'd honestly prefer to see them fold than carry on like this. Its painful and embarrassing.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I struggle to find a reason outside of injury as to why a guy like Chabot would sign here this season as oppose to signing off on one of what I assume will be numerous offer sheets next off season. I assume the same for Tkachuk etc... as well. As stated previously, there's no rebuild occurring here as far as is understood and accepted commonly amongst sports fans, this is an owner unwilling or unable to provide a competitive product with the league's current constraints/financial climate now and moving forward.

Reactions: Alex1234 and Cosmix

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Again, a third round pick has about a 30% of ever making the NHL.
No big loss.

The Money saved, by not paying the bonus money, pays for Ron Hainsey.

So it could be seen as a third round pick for Hainsey ..............who could very well be traded at the TDL, for another pick, perhaps even a 3rd.

Why so many tears have been shed for this 3rd round pick is mind boggling. NHL GMs trade picks for similar and other reasons ................. but for some people, its almost like the end world, as we know it.
The cap floor exists to ensure owners and management are icing a competitive hockey team for the fans.

Providing other teams with assets to help us pay less money than the cap and icing a team of bums goes against the point of owning a team.

If our actual salary expense was at the cap floor, I'd be annoyed but could understand it. If we're throwing away assets so our spend is as low as possible even below the floor, that's not okay. In our situation our two options shouldn't be: 1) Hainsey at 3.5 and no 3rd pick (because Zaitsev bonus is paid) or 2) No Hainsey, we keep our pick, and we pay the Zaitsev/Brown bonus. There's a 3rd option....
As fans of this team, we should expect our owner to at least legitimately spend up the cap floor without having to trade our 30% chance of a player.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I thought that PD would not re-sign any of his UFAs from last season & that turns out to be correct with the exception of Goloubef. This yr should be no different & I suspect that PD acquired some of these players in order to turn them over during the course of next season leading up to the deadline for probably more picks.

- Ennis - 1 yr deal, UFA should move him by the deadline.
- Hainsey - 1 yr deal, UFA should move him by the deadline.
- Pageau - UFA this yr, could be moved by the deadline but could also be re-signed.
- Boedker - UFA should be traded by the deadline, if someone will take him.
- Boro - UFA should be able to move him by the deadline, but could get a 1 yr deal.
- DeMello - UFA should be moved by the deadline.
- Condon - UFA should be traded by the deadline, if someone will take him.
- Anderson - UFA could be moved by deadline but could also be re-signed for a yr.
- MacArthur - in his last yr of his contract, his $4.650 will be off the books at yr end.
- Swartz - UFA - should be moved by the trade deadline.
- Goloubef - signed a 1 yr deal, UFA should be moved by the deadline.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Need to add some high, high impact guys in the draft this year, we are severely, severely lacking in that department compared to other teams around the league.

We have tons of depth, tons. That only gets us so far. They need to hit a homerun top 5 pick like Byfield/Lafreniere, and then pick a guy like Pasternak/Chabot/Barzel out in the later part of the 1st. We can't bet on a high floor type, we need an absolute homerun.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I keep trying to decide which team is a bigger **** show in professional sports: the New York Knicks or the Ottawa Senators.

On one hand you have James Dolan, on the other Eugene Melnyk.

The Knicks basically gave away their young superstar with the hope to woo Durant and Irving to sign in the offseason and they completely struck out, even in the draft lottery. No Zion, no Kyrie, no KD, no KP. The free agent duo lands at their Rival's in Brooklyn.

Absolute ****ing gong show and then owner has completely poisoned the well to the point no one wants to play for one of the most important franchises in the world.

Then we have the Sens and Eugene. Unlike Dolan, he can't afford to go big game hunting. Because of his finances, we bleed talent and have become the league's farm team. Our GM is a human punching bag that seemingly every GM is getting to take advantage of.

No one wants to play for either guy but Eugene souldnt afford to pay them even if they did want to be here (like Karlsson or Stone).

We're the biggest **** show. There is no rebuild until Melnyk is gone, one way or another. We will continue to lose our stars every year. Dorion will continue to bleed picks away to avoid spending. We will be the worst team in hockey forever until a big change is made at the top. No sane person would have kept such a proven failure in place like Dorion. We're only at the tip of the iceberg here. There is still more pain to be had. Chabot will likely leave either next year or when his next contract expires. Tkachuk will play hardball in negotiating his 2nd contract. He will be traded. Melnyk will threaten to relocate again, and it will be a real threat this time. Houston and KC are calling. And guess what? We won't care. Melnyk is seeding apathy within the fanbase. I grew up with this team and I'd honestly prefer to see them fold than carry on like this. Its painful and embarrassing.

Its getting to the point.. of What's the point of being a fan of this team. I feel sorry for the players drafted here and trying to break in here and the guys on the team that have to go to war every night and put their hearts and souls into being NHL players to just keep running into the brick wall on the ice and off the ice. Melnyk is a dipshit but Dorion could only work as a GM on a team with this kind of dysfunction. A good GM .. would take a budget and work within it.. Dorion the lap dog wants a pat on the back for every nickel he saves Melnyk. He is horribly, absolutely atrociously incompetent. He's too dumb to have an inkling of just how dumb he is.

I don't get how people defend him or the team. Everyone , the most cynical of us, are looking for something good to happen. Something above board and good without smelling like rotten fish . What was last year .. playing Lajoie with Ceci as a shut down pair? Not getting a goalie for like 2 months when Condon was sent down. Johnny Oduya , Boro, and Phaneuf as your 3 LD the year before. Dysfunctonal is too nice a word. It seems the only moves he makes to bring in NHL players are with players suggested by the coach. Don't count the players that came in at the TDL... Melnyk can be blamed ... but an owner doesn't know how to run a hockey team and the specific kind of people you need to make things work somewhat. Like I said before... Bryan Murray was a funny guy who liked a good joke... He gave us all one when he made Dorion GM.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
A lineup
Tkachuk White Duclair
Ryan Tierney Batherson
Ennis Pageau Brown
Balcers Smith Boedker

Chabot Demelo
Hainsey Zaitsev
Wolanin Jaros
Boro

ZERO really fresh faces ... and no one with under 10 games... Fresh faces are mostly vets
Change of plans I guess... Likely not a bad thing. ... These guys are stumbling in the dark... They have plans , they have lots of plans . All cooked up by idiots that don't know what a plan is.

Last edited:

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I'll take that bet.

Ottawa should never allow an offer sheet scenario ........... but if they did, just like the overwhelming majority of offer sheets, it would be matched.

we're not talking about a pancake lover here.

lol, the Ottawa Senators are not matching a front loaded entirely bonus based offer sheet if Menynk is the owner.
$10.4 million/year 5 yrs
$12,$12,$10,$8 with 90% in signing bonuses.

There is ZERO CHANCE Melnyk is pulling his wallet out to pay $22 million in a 12 month period.

There isn’t a weaker team in the NHL to withstand an offer sheet than the Sens & every team in the league knows it.
We won’t match and we are no threat of a revenge offer.
Chabot has ZERO reason to sign before next summer and next summer he is going to get offer sheeted and the scenario above will play out.
Also because it’s likely a competitive team who isn’t worried about the picks the 2 firsts will be later round firsts, a late 2nd and a late third.

That’s the reality.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
lol, the Ottawa Senators are not matching a front loaded entirely bonus based offer sheet if Menynk is the owner.
$10.4 million/year 5 yrs

There is ZERO CHANCE Melnyk is pulling his wallet out to pay $22 million in a 12 month period.

There isn’t a weaker team in the NHL to withstand an offer sheet than the Sens & every team in the league knows it.
Chabot has ZERO reason to sign before next summer and next summer he is going to get offer sheeted and the scenario above will play out.
Also because it’s likely a competitive team who isn’t worried about the picks the 2 firsts will be later round firsts, a late 2nd and a late third.

That’s the reality.
I agree . The next thing we'll hear about Chabot is that he does not want to negotiate a contract after training camp starts. We will hear from Dorion on how talks are progressing and that there is one thing for sure Thomas Chabot is going to play for the Ottawa Senators this season.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Pffft, everyone knows that Chabot doesn’t want to play in Ottawa. He’s also bad in the locker room. And I heard he once shoved a kid off a swing set. Not the kind of character player Dorion wants for this team. People just have to accept that we’re better off without him.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Pffft, everyone knows that Chabot doesn’t want to play in Ottawa. He’s also bad in the locker room. And I heard he once shoved a kid off a swing set. Not the kind of character player Dorion wants for this team. People just have to accept that we’re better off without him.
More of a team.. He is just too good. We want a bunch of plumbers who accept they are plumbers. No need to have one guy who thinks he's better than a plumber.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Yup and cap space is an asset

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
$10.4 million/year 5 yrs

That’s the reality.

I would also add that EM will be first in line at the “please give small markets more money” signup sheet going into the next CBA.

Does losing Chabot to a big market with fancy bonus money help his case?

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Offer sheets don’t really work

Most teams will match unless u offer like 14mill per year and well no one is giving up 4 firsts

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Next year, we'll actually be in a decent spot to offer sheet someone. Lots more money off the books next year, and we have multiple 2nd rounders in 2021. Might as well combine those two and try to squeeze some divisional teams. Dorion doesn't have the balls to actually do it though

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Offer sheets don’t really work

Most teams will match unless u offer like 14mill per year and well no one is giving up 4 firsts
Habs offered 21 million in one calendar year lol. Real money matters more than the cap hit for us.

All that would cost is a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd. Pretty much a steal for a young star.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Habs offered 21 million in one calendar year lol. Real money matters more than the cap hit for us.

All that would cost is a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd. Pretty much a steal for a young star.
And Habs weren’t close to getting Aho

Like literally not even close

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
And Habs weren’t close to getting Aho

Like literally not even close
Melnyk doesn’t own the Carolina Hurricanes.

We’re literally selling draft picks for money and we’re under the cap salary-wise. I don’t see how you go from this to being able to pay one player 21 million in one year.

Reactions: Bileur and Sens
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad