Thoughts on the Edmonton Oilers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Its the 2000s Oilers all over again.

1 player team, Pronger and now Mcjesus.
Over paid prospects in Hemsky and lesser extent Gagner with 1 good season. Now with Draisaitl and Hopkins.
Overpaid vet in Horcoff. Now with Lucic.
Penner=Maroon
Bunch of subpar "depth."

Declining D-man in an overrated Sekera with a bad contract. Souray 2.0.
3rd pairing D-man that is over paid dung in Klefbom. Smid 2.0.
Undersized 3rd paring D-man on the decline with absurd contract in Russell. Worse than Visnovsky

Overrated and overpaid "starting" goaltender in Talbot. Not quite as bad as Khabibulin.

Reactions: greengoblin

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Chiarelli is not only the worst GM in Oilers history, he's the worst GM league-wide since Milbury. It's a disgrace what's he's done to this team.
Jim Benning has something to say about that, can't believe that these clowns worked together and won a cup, one of the most baffling things ever really.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Overrated as hell team. Not sure why everyone thinks they're already legit contenders and the favorites to come out of the West when they were the laughing stock of the league just a year ago after a decade of no playoffs and 4 first overall picks.
And the winner of best post in thread is.....

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
My thought is that although they have improved I didn’t consider them a Stanley cup contender coming into the season. They shouldn’t be this bad, but I’m not that impressed with them other than Connor and Leon.

Reactions: libertarian

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Hall, 1st, 2nd, Eberle, , traded for:

Larsson, Griffin Reinhart, Strome

That is just abysmal. You fail at GM if that happens. So much value lost.
And then the 1st and 2nd turn into Barzal and Beauvillier :laugh: Chia, the only GM to trade a franchise winger and centre who respectively went 1 and 2 in the same draft for scraps, unbelievable....

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Its the 2000s Oilers all over again.

1 player team, Pronger and now Mcjesus.
Over paid prospects in Hemsky and lesser extent Gagner with 1 good season. Now with Draisaitl and Hopkins.
Overpaid vet in Horcoff. Now with Lucic.
Penner=Maroon
Bunch of subpar "depth."

Declining D-man in an overrated Sekera with a bad contract. Souray 2.0.
3rd pairing D-man that is over paid dung in Klefbom. Smid 2.0.
Undersized 3rd paring D-man on the decline with absurd contract in Russell. Worse than Visnovsky

Overrated and overpaid "starting" goaltender in Talbot. Not quite as bad as Khabibulin.

This is a weird post. The comparables you made didn't exist on the Oilers in the 2000's (late 2000's more accurately) at any one time.

When we had Pronger, Horcoff was coming into his prime with a 70 point season.
When we had Pronger, Hemsky was establishing himself as a highly effective 70 point winger on a steal of a contract
When we had Pronger we didn't have Gagner or Penner or Souray or Visnovsky or Smid.
When we had Pronger we were 1 goal away from the Stanley Cup.

I'm not sure what point you are even making. I would submit that you don't have a logical point to make at all with your post.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
This is a weird post. The comparables you made didn't exist on the Oilers in the 2000's (late 2000's more accurately) at any one time.

When we had Pronger, Horcoff was coming into his prime with a 70 point season.
When we had Pronger, Hemsky was establishing himself as a highly effective 70 point winger on a steal of a contract
When we had Pronger we didn't have Gagner or Penner or Souray or Visnovsky or Smid.
When we had Pronger we were 1 goal away from the Stanley Cup.

I'm not sure what point you are even making. I would submit that you don't have a logical point to make at all with your post.
Just look at his username.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
It seems a great deal of the fanbase had them in the playoffs and contenders so it's strange of you to say this.
I misread that guys question. I thought he was referring to this season being bad and only Leon and Connor being good.

Yea, they way we played last year, there was no reason to think we would regress this bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad