Thoughts on the Edmonton Oilers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Chiarelli gave a vaguely mysterious statement a week or two ago saying that there was something behind Klefboms terrible play and they were trying to deal with it. Could be an injury or something more personal, either way, if he can get past it, there's no reason to think he can't rebound.

Come on Drasaitl! Stop sleeping with everyone's sister! :sarcasm:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I liked what I saw from them in Sat's game against Calgary. It may kickstart them back into the playoff race. NY and Montreal have done it, I don't see why the Oilers can't follow suit.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
injuries to Talbot, Larsson and still Sekera will hurt immensely

It's only a game, but it has to start somewhere. But they resembled more of the Oilers of last year in that game. I think the Russell rallying point may have galvanized them. For the 1st time this year, I saw some swagger in the Oilers. The main thing is goaltending. Game was a lot closer than it should have been. They need Talbot back soon.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
When the team is missing their number 1 goalieand 1-2 dmen pair..... This could get ugly or rally the troops. They looked great against the flames.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yeah missing Larsson but perhaps more they miss Sekera even more. It's been a huge loss. The good thing is Klefbom looked like a stud Saturday. Played more like himself. Now they just need the Goalie to step up in Talbot's absence. This is the main worry. But its nice to see the Oilers play with their swagger again. They are too talented to be this bad.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
When the team is missing their number 1 goalieand 1-2 dmen pair..... This could get ugly or rally the troops. They looked great against the flames.

They didn't really look that great at all against the Flames. They were slightly better but that had a lot to do with how awful the Flames were.

I also think that while Broissoit was terrible it helped make excuses for some pretty crappy play by the Oilers in the 3rd period.

I am not really sure that game showed that they are getting back or playing better.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
They didn't really look that great at all against the Flames. They were slightly better but that had a lot to do with how awful the Flames were.

I also think that while Broissoit was terrible it helped make excuses for some pretty crappy play by the Oilers in the 3rd period.

I am not really sure that game showed that they are getting back or playing better.

The Oilers took their foot off the gas, sure, but one of Bennett's goals and the Gaudreau goal were Buzzes girlfriend woof.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Peter Chiarelli gave coal to Oiler fans for Christmas and stuffed their stockings with L’s.

How he still has has a job is crazy. The grinch who stole Christmas aka the GM who stole W’s

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Chia not getting some goalie depth in the offseason is killing the oilers right now.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Definitely need more depth on wing. The goalie situation is nuts you can't expect great results if you have to play Talbot 70 games every season.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Chiarelli is not only the worst GM in Oilers history, he's the worst GM league-wide since Milbury. It's a disgrace what's he's done to this team.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Chia not getting some goalie depth in the offseason is killing the oilers right now.
This is the second year in a row that he deserves to be RIPPED to shreds for this.

Last year, he signed Jhonas Gustavsson to back up Talbot. Gustavsson was literally the worst goaltender in the league, and shouldn't have even been signed to an NHL contract last year. And now, he's finally washed out of the league, probably a year or two, maybe three later than he should have....

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
This makes me wonder how they're going to ruin McDavid. Since he's already an amazing player, maybe he gets involved in the seedy underbelly of downtown Edmonton and murders a prostitute or something.
I can see the headline now "Innocent awkward hockey star turns into prostitutes' worst nightmare"

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Did you just start watching hockey last season The Flames were 10-1-1 in 12 games as the Saturday broadcast showed before the 16-17 season. The Flames owned the Oilers for nearly their entire rebuild. The Oilers have certainly turned the tables recently, but they’ve got a long way to go to match what the Flames did to them for the better part of a decade.

I was referring to these past couple of seasons since Edmonton emerged as no longer a punching bag (well, I guess unless you count this disappointing season as such).

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
People love to harp over and over on Chia, but he is not the only problem. This team is still dominant 5 v 5.

The problem is special teams. We have failed epically all year on both the PP and the PK. What makes it worse is the fact that there has been very little change in terms of systems or individuals involved in both units. We see the same failure game in and game out with no change. It has effectively killed this team.

greengoblin

Jan 20, 2017
Mark Spector is a joke along with the rest of paid shills in Edmonton.

Article December 24th headline- "Winning streak bodes well for Oilers as they eye playoff contention"

Basically he is planning the parade.

Article Jan 2nd - "Another dreadful performance sees Oilers’ season swirling the bowl"

And let's not forgot this gem from beginning of the year.

West Champion:
Mark Spector: Edmonton Oilers

Stanley Cup winner:

Team likely to disappoint:
Mark Spector: Calgary Flames

Canadian team with highest point total:

Hart winner:
Mark Spector: Connor McDavid

Art Ross winner:
Mark Spector: Connor McDavid