Thoughts on the Edmonton Oilers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bando

Jun 24, 2016
I misread that guys question. I thought he was referring to this season being bad and only Leon and Connor being good.

Yea, they way we played last year, there was no reason to think we would regress this bad.

Oh, apologies that makes more sense! :)

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Hall, 1st, 2nd, Eberle, , traded for:

Larsson, Griffin Reinhart, Strome

That is just abysmal. You fail at GM if that happens. So much value lost.

unbelievable. This is some sick joke. This bald headed, mumbling, douche still justifies these trades as positives for the Oilers. Hall-Larsson is understandable, but the other two. Lets get real.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
unbelievable. This is some sick joke. This bald headed, mumbling, *****e still justifies these trades as positives for the Oilers. Hall-Larsson is understandable, but the other two. Lets get real.
Well these are selective deals that had other factors that needed to be considered. (MacT\Scout pressure in Reinhart deal, Eberle's crappy play and contract, need for a RD)
On the flip side he got Maroon+Talbot for literally nothing via trade and landed some highly regarded college graduates in Benning\Caggiula.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
The thing about Hall and Eberle is that they were traded after two pretty solid seasons as well. I know Eberle had a really bad playoffs but they got way worse value for him and he's fit in really well with the Islanders this year.

The Griffin trade was just an epic disaster though, how do you trade a top 20 pick in that draft of all drafts?

Oil Spill

Net Detective
Jan 21, 2013
sure lets go with that :laugh:
Yeah my first instinct was a different trade, probably should have trusted that :D. I'm still happy and I would not undo Hall for Larsson. Larsson is not the issue with this team and I think we would be in worse shape with Hall still here.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Yeah my first instinct was a different trade, probably should have trusted that :D. I'm still happy and I would not undo Hall for Larsson. Larsson is not the issue with this team and I think we would be in worse shape with Hall still here.

i mean hallsy had a 1g-2a night last night in a 4-3 loss so it's all relative.

he's our most important player ainec right now

Reactions: Calypso

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
The thing about Hall and Eberle is that they were traded after two pretty solid seasons as well. I know Eberle had a really bad playoffs but they got way worse value for him and he's fit in really well with the Islanders this year.

The Griffin trade was just an epic disaster though, how do you trade a top 20 pick in that draft of all drafts?
We screwed up in 2003, we can do it again.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada

Jealousy of the Flames getting Hamilton

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
Chia is starting to get some heat here in Edmonton, could lead to some change. Don't know who would replace him though? Pretty embarrassing season though, I'm pretty checked out

Oil Spill

Net Detective
Jan 21, 2013
i mean hallsy had a 1g-2a night last night in a 4-3 loss so it's all relative.

he's our most important player ainec right now
Don't get me wrong i'm not bashing Hall he's still one of the favourite players, i'm glad he's having success with NJ if anyone deserves it it's him and I hope he wins a cup there. I just feel that for the Oilers Larsson was a bigger need than Hall at the time and even with the way this season has gone I don't regret the trade. Wish we could have convinced you to take Eberle for Larsson instead but sadly Chia is our GM not your's.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
That 16th pick could have been Boeser or Barzal !

Can you imagine !!

Not ever going to defend that trade... I hated it then and hated it even more today... but it's been stated that the Oilers would have taken Eriksson-Ek.

It ironic that LA never gets heat on this forum for trading away Colin Miller, Martin Jones and Matt Barzal (could have been right?) for 1 season of Milan Lucic.

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
Poor Montoya. Its bad enough he had to play for the GARBAGE canadiens. I feel bad. Hopefully he has a good support system because his mental health will suffer in Edmonton.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
i wouldn't say every other team but there are definitely a few that would leverage the league into a different treatment of mcdavid by the officials. the officiating has done shit for mcdavid since he arrived in edmonton. and mcdavid is just the canary there.

Reactions: Future GOAT

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
First - I think the Oilers turn it around and make the playoffs this year.

Second - If they don't (and maybe even if they do) - does this change the narrative about tanking as the only way rebuild? Oilers, Coyotes, Sabres, Panthers - all teams who have been in the cellar for seemingly a very long time. Meanwhile, teams like the Blues, Sharks and Kings continue to make the playoffs. Pittsburgh and Chicago turned it around by drafting top 5 but that was a long time ago, now.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
Don't get me wrong i'm not bashing Hall he's still one of the favourite players, i'm glad he's having success with NJ if anyone deserves it it's him and I hope he wins a cup there. I just feel that for the Oilers Larsson was a bigger need than Hall at the time and even with the way this season has gone I don't regret the trade. Wish we could have convinced you to take Eberle for Larsson instead but sadly Chia is our GM not your's.

I agree with a lot of this. Last season it seemed like the trade worked for Edmonton. I thought it was a case where they should have got more for the player (Hall), yet they improved the team by filling a large hole with Larsson. In other words, they got better despite not getting full value. Obviously right now things aren't going as well. They could use Hall's offence for sure, but they need Larsson too. The problems are much bigger than that one move, although I personally wouldn't have done the deal.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
chiarellishrug.jpg

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
The real questions are;

Do the Oilers get 80 points?

Could a Yotes hot run put the Oilers back home at the bottom of the division?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad