Thoughts on the Calgary Flames?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I actually really like their forward mix, a little bit of everything. If Bennett stops sucking then they will have a top forward group.
Defense is very overrated, yes even with he additions of Hamonic and Stone. Top3 on paper, not so much in real-life
Goaltending is average, which should be enough for the Flames to get into the playoffs. I dont expect much from there, cant see them winning a round.

1. ANA
2. EDM
3. CGY
4. SJS

I don't know why people suggest the Flames' top defencemen don't deliver. Giordano Hamilton last year was an absolute beast of a top pairing. By Travis Yost's analysis, the best pairing in the league.

Meanwhile, Brodie and Giordano used to be similarly elite in possession stats, but with Brodie having major off-ice issues (his fiancée was diagnosed with MS) and being saddled with a weak partner most of the year, it was a rough campaign for him.

You keep the best pairing in the league together (I don't actually believe that, but they are great and the numbers back it up), and you put Brodie with a clean slate with a now-healthy defenceman who is an absolute rock, and I think it's perfectly justified to expect tremendous results from the Flames' top 4.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Well if we were expecting Hamonic to be our #1D, yeah it's probably an overrated trade. But, he'll be our #4, he's happy to be close to home, and he's that defensive defenseman we haven't had since Regehr.

Regehr would be a pylon in today's league. Seeing Hamonic try to shut down McDavid and his speed would be interesting to see.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I don't know why people suggest the Flames' top defencemen don't deliver. Giordano Hamilton last year was an absolute beast of a top pairing. By Travis Yost's analysis, the best pairing in the league.

Meanwhile, Brodie and Giordano used to be similarly elite in possession stats, but with Brodie having major off-ice issues (his fiancée was diagnosed with MS) and being saddled with a weak partner most of the year, it was a rough campaign for him.

You keep the best pairing in the league together (I don't actually believe that, but they are great and the numbers back it up), and you put Brodie with a clean slate with a now-healthy defenceman who is an absolute rock, and I think it's perfectly justified to expect tremendous results from the Flames' top 4.

From my dozens of games of viewing over the past few seasons I find them underwhelming. Hamilton is the only guy who impresses me from time to time.
Makes sense, on paper they are scary and they should be top3 in the league, I just dont think they will be.

Last edited:

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

I think Brodie' wife was diagnosed with MS like two years ago.

Brodie and Hamilton both look great with Giordano and ordinary apart.

Instead of those three being top 15 defencemen in the league like some Flames fans might believe, I think it's Giordano which is a top 15 guy, and the other two are high end second pairing guys.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think Brodie' wife was diagnosed with MS like two years ago.

Brodie and Hamilton both look great with Giordano and ordinary apart.

Instead of those three being top 15 defencemen in the league like some Flames fans might believe, I think it's Giordano which is a top 15 guy, and the other two are high end second pairing guys.

Actually, Brodie was amazing even with Engelland in the 2015 playoffs when Gio was out.

Meanwhile, Hamilton didn't really spend any time apart from Gio last year. And the previous season he was bad with every partner, including Giordano. So there isn't really any basis to say what you're saying.

That said, it's possible what you're saying. But in the end, it doesn't matter what they're labeled as if the results are there.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Flames are a very interesting team for me this season. I forgot to put them as a sleeper team for me. But I can see many of their young players having big years this season. Got a lot of players that I like on this team. Monahan, Bennett, Tkachuk, Hamilton, Giordano, Gaudreau, Harmonic, probably missing some. But it would not shock me they will be a handful for a western team this year, perhaps Edmonton. A rising power out west?

Dump Itch

Sep 9, 2017
Unless Bennett improves, they'll forever be a non-stanley cup winning team.

And they'll also need better goaltending and defense. and coach.

Reactions: Devonator

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
We don't have a team set up for failure. Calling the roles reversed after one season is laughable.

I won't comment on whether the roles are reversed but it definitely looks like Calgary will be medicore for the next few seasons whereas Edmonton is slowly but surely building a McDavid led dynasty. McDavid + Drai + Nurse + Klef + 1st rounder this year is practically a dynasty in the making.

Reactions: Devonator

Bando

Jun 24, 2016
I won't comment on whether the roles are reversed but it definitely looks like Calgary will be medicore for the next few seasons whereas Edmonton is slowly but surely building a McDavid led dynasty. McDavid + Drai + Nurse + Klef + 1st rounder this is practically a dynasty in the making.
This has been said in edmonton for the last 10 years... and yet nothing changes. Nurse and Klefbom are both playing like at most #3 defensemen, there is no dynasty in the making when your BEST defenders would barely make most teams top 4.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You sure you aren't talking about your team?

At least we'll make the playoffs.

Yikes, this didn't age well, considering Kane just unleashed the rooster in your team's building and got them boo'ed off the ice!

This has been said in edmonton for the last 10 years... and yet nothing changes. Nurse and Klefbom are both playing like at most #3 defensemen, there is no dynasty in the making when your BEST defenders would barely make most teams top 4.

Every team is built differently. I don't think Brian Dumolin would crack the top 4 of the Sharks or Flames, but he was the ice time leader on the Cup winner last year.

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017

They didn't have McDavid 10 years ago.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
I won't comment on whether the roles are reversed but it definitely looks like Calgary will be medicore for the next few seasons whereas Edmonton is slowly but surely building a McDavid led dynasty. McDavid + Drai + Nurse + Klef + 1st rounder this year is practically a dynasty in the making.

Just like Nuge, Hall, Yakupov, Eberle, Schultz right?

Dynasty baby.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
*sips tea*

Pretty bold statement of me to say. I feel like our team is perfectly capable of making the playoffs, but we under-performed and lost Smith at the wrong time of the season. Props to you guys, I always think you're out of it but you always manage to make the playoffs.

Reactions: Bizz

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
down 4-0 to Vegas after 2. They've essentially thrown in the towel at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad