Thoughts on the Calgary Flames?

Status
Not open for further replies.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I think they will be around as good as they were last year. Hamonic is a good add but he's not a game changer in any sense. The Smith deal is still a head stratcher for me. I'm not sure why they didn't pursue a more long-term fix in net. I think missing their 1st next year and their 2nd rounders in the next 2 years will hurt them.

Overall, I think they will finish in a wildcard spot behind Edmonton, Anaheim, and San Jose.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I don't I have never seen a guy lose the net as much as he did. I guess they could have tried to fix that but I think that at his age/experience it is hard to see him changing his style at this point. I think people gave him way to much benefit of the doubt because he made some spectacular saves recovering from his horrible positioning.

I may not be a fan of Smith but I am glad we are done with the Ramo days.

In the 2014-2015 season if you needed a big stop or your goalie not giving up a deflating bad goal go with Ramo. If you want your goalie to make routine saves? Go with Hiller.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I think they will be around as good as they were last year. Hamonic is a good add but he's not a game changer in any sense. The Smith deal is still a head stratcher for me. I'm not sure why they didn't pursue a more long-term fix in net. I think missing their 1st next year and their 2nd rounders in the next 2 years will hurt them.

Overall, I think they will finish in a wildcard spot behind Edmonton, Anaheim, and San Jose.

The Flames core is old enough now that adding players who can contribute now vs having more prospects makes sense.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I hear it all the time.

Their logic is that if they are beating Edmonton then they are always in the playoffs for football and most likely in hockey. Flames and Stamps fans on here can say what they want concerning Van or whoever but that fan base really needs to beat Edmonton and as long as they do they are content.

No you don't......

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He was also our best puck mover since Kipper, didn't have Kipper's speed and puck freezing abilities though.

Also couldn't stop high shots, and had a systematic flaw in his technique that was exacerbated by his short stature. He was very sound positionally, though. Shame we couldn't have that combined with Ramo's puck-stopping and frame.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
There is one driving force in Calgary that applies to hockey, football, etc. Smith was signed for this very reason.

Beat Edmonton. The rest really doesn't matter much to them.

How does this make sense when the Oilers were one of the worst teams on the planet for a decade? The Flames were already dominating them. The Oilers literally just made the playoffs for the first time last April, so the majority of this current Flames team that has been assembled couldn't possibly have been built to just beat the Oilers.

The core pieces of the Flames have been around since the mid 2000s or early 2010s. Their identity was forged after Iginla/Bouwmeester left in 2013 and they've been concentrating on building the team from the back end and up the middle first and foremost. Your post is way out to lunch.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
How does this make sense when the Oilers were one of the worst teams on the planet for a decade? The Flames were already dominating them. The Oilers literally just made the playoffs for the first time last April, so the majority of this current Flames team that has been assembled couldn't possibly have been built to just beat the Oilers.

The core pieces of the Flames have been around since the mid 2000s or early 2010s. Their identity was forged after Iginla/Bouwmeester left in 2013 and they've been concentrating on building the team from the back end and up the middle first and foremost. Your post is way out to lunch.

Flames teams sure weren't built to win. One playoff round in a decade or more? They beat the Oilers though. That made the fans I know happy and some of them a little more wealthy. The Flames teams were not built to win, just be better than the Oilers.

The fact they have mortgaged their future now to try and stop the Oiler bleeding is obvious. When do they get another draft pick?

It's called a rivalry that Calgary takes personal because of Edmonton's glorious past and Calgary's rather shabby one. I guess it doesn't count, according to some flame fans, now that the roles from the last decade have been reversed.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Flames teams sure weren't built to win. One playoff round in a decade or more? They beat the Oilers though. That made the fans I know happy and some of them a little more wealthy. The Flames teams were not built to win, just be better than the Oilers.

The fact they have mortgaged their future now to try and stop the Oiler bleeding is obvious. When do they get another draft pick?

It's called a rivalry that Calgary takes personal because of Edmonton's glorious past and Calgary's rather shabby one. I guess it doesn't count, according to some flame fans, now that the roles from the last decade have been reversed.

We don't have a team set up for failure. Calling the roles reversed after one season is laughable.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
We don't have a team set up for failure. Calling the roles reversed after one season is laughable.

Never said you did. Everyone fails but one team every year. Flames would have been good enough to beat the Oilers, and therefore be a very solid playoff team (switch the points around), but then this guy came along, then this other guy, and then another...

Now Treliving is scrambling to try and catch up. Hence why you don't have draft picks. Who knows, he might succeed. I, and others, believe if the Oilers didn't improve then the flames would have been content to rebuild for another season or two.

They chose to go all-in instead.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary

Winning a Stanley Cup along with President's Trophies, multiple Hall of Famers and listed on the top 10 greatest teams of all time isn't shabby at all.

The Flames have done really well relative to the rest of the league. Not every team can be gifted the type of luck the Oilers have had with Gretzky and McDavid. The Flames have at the very least been competitive the last decade which has made for good hockey until April, better than being done in November and looking forward to the draft in June for so long.

Mortgaging the future wouldn't be a term I'd use either as the Flames can afford to give up the picks now. They have a lot of younger players signed to value contracts or under team control in almost every position. They have a plethora of prospects in the cupboard which means they can trade picks to try to win now. It was pretty quick rebuild unlike a certain other team.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Winning a Stanley Cup along with President's Trophies, multiple Hall of Famers and listed on the top 10 greatest teams of all time isn't shabby at all.

The Flames have done really well relative to the rest of the league. Not every team can be gifted the type of luck the Oilers have had with Gretzky and McDavid. The Flames have at the very least been competitive the last decade which has made for good hockey until April, better than being done in November and looking forward to the draft in June for so long.

Mortgaging the future wouldn't be a term I'd use either as the Flames can afford to give up the picks now. They have a lot of younger players signed to value contracts or under team control in almost every position. They have a plethora of prospects in the cupboard which means they can trade picks to try to win now. It was pretty quick rebuild unlike a certain other team.

Flames have not done really well relative to the rest of the league.

They have 4 playoff round wins since their last Stanley Cup. 4. In 27 years. That's gotta be bottom 5 in the league.

Even the hapless Oilers have like 10 playoff round victories since their last Stanley.

And despite missing the playoffs for a decade, they have the same number of playoff round victories in the past ten years as the Flames.

Oilers were terriblly run. Flames well below average. Neither team has much to hang their hat on in the last couple of decades.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Never said you did. Everyone fails but one team every year. Flames would have been good enough to beat the Oilers, and therefore be a very solid playoff team (switch the points around), but then this guy came along, then this other guy, and then another...

Now Treliving is scrambling to try and catch up. Hence why you don't have draft picks. Who knows, he might succeed. I, and others, believe if the Oilers didn't improve then the flames would have been content to rebuild for another season or two.

They chose to go all-in instead.

Trading a 2018 1st round pick is hardly an "all-in" move. We traded magic beans for a proven top 4 defenseman.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Those two second rounders are not even worthy of mention. They must be super magic beans! ;)

I consider all in trading prospects/futures for a player with a year left on their contract and usually are old, needing to "put us over the top." Hamonic on a cheap contract for 3 more years is hardly an all-in move. We've done fine in past drafts in the late rounds that we were able to sacrifice 3 picks in the top 62.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I actually really like their forward mix, a little bit of everything. If Bennett stops sucking then they will have a top forward group.
Defense is very overrated, yes even with he additions of Hamonic and Stone. Top3 on paper, not so much in real-life
Goaltending is average, which should be enough for the Flames to get into the playoffs. I dont expect much from there, cant see them winning a round.

1. ANA
2. EDM
3. CGY
4. SJS

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Lol such selective facts picking.

Career years on the Oilers:

Talbot, Maroon...and....
McDavid
Draisaitl
Klefbom
Letetsu

McDavid did not have a career year lol this was very expected.
Draisaitl just had his second full season.. but alright sure count that. He did exceed expectations.
Klefbom has played the exact same for 2-3 seasons now. He finally was healthy and had a steady partner in Larsson. Not a career year.
Test is a #4C who was given prime PP time. But fine count him

Alright, thats Tabot, Maroon, Draisaitl and Test who had career years. Now lets count those who had down years (using your logic)...

RNH
Lucic (5v5)
Russell (offensively)
Eberle --> Strome
Pouliot --> Jokinen
Gustavsson --> Broissoit

Also lets count young guys who should improve with expirience

Caggiula
Slepyshev
Benning
Puljujarvi
Brossoit
Nurse

Stop making excuses. Every team has players who have good, bad or average seasons. The Flams are not alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad