Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
:flames

Thoughts on them?

Now that we have Hamonic and Stone for the next 3 years as the #4 and #5, we'll be a lot better. I know, I know we've said that we had a solid d core previously but honesty there was a big difference between the talent of #1-3 defenseman and the #4-6. It was bad.

Smith is old, but he won't let in terrible goals at the wrong time. He's a stopgap.

Bennett should have a better year, no matter how many think he's a bust.
Jankowski should be getting a look this year. Yes, the 2012 1st rounder.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Overrated D

Probably 3rd in the Pacfic or a wildcard spot

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Underrated defense, overrated offense. There defense this year looks incredible. They have 5 top 4 dmen(stone is borderline but still) and three top pairing guys. The defense should be very effective in preventing high end chances for Smith to deal with and with most of the defense+Smith being pretty good to great transition passers, they should be able to quickly push pace against their oppents. I think there offense besides gaudreau is somewhat overrated. Monahan is a good player but for the flames to a true contender they will require one of bennett(who I still think can be a 30 and 30 guy if he is positioned correctly), Monahan, or jankowski (long shot compared to the other two) to become a true number one center. I think they end up 2nd in the 3rd in the Pacific, a few pts behind the oilers and we get a great 1st round series. I think that the flames have the prospects needed to acquire a talented number one center or number one winger.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Good defensive group but not as good as everyone makes them out to be,

if Mark G plays to that Norris-caliber he did a couple of years ago before going down,

I could see them chasing the Oilers and Ducks for the pacific title.

Not a single player on that roster that I expect to regress for next season,

so I can only see improvements on that team from a good year last year barring playoff performance.

Battle of Alberta is alive and healthy, see you season opener.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
The lack of a true franchise talent will hold them back.

Pastor Of Muppets

Jan 19, 2017
The D looks incredible...theyr'e going to need it..McD really exposed them in some games last season...They have to keep up with their neighbours to the north.

I'm not holding my breath on Smith and Lack in goal either (probably one of the weaker duos in the division)

I'm not really sold on Johnny Hockey or Monahan ..both go for prolonged stretches of being invisible (as a Canucks fan,I see a fair bit of the Flames),there are other players on the Flames who are worthy of more praise.

I do see the overall team improving from last season ...Everyone is familiar with what coach Gulatzan expects,and I expect that to crossover into this season ..The Flames got off to a horrible start last year,but i don't see that this season..

A definite lock for a playoff team,that possibly will get through to the 2nd round..but thats as far as I see it..Not a SC contender yet.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
What about Johnny G?

He's definitely an elite talent but not a franchise changing talent IMO. He's not a player you could build a franchise around and there are many, many players you'd take before him to start one.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don't think Calgary's issue last year was the blueline, but the style or team D the entire team plays. I also question whether they have the forward depth needed to do anything in the playoffs.

I didn't have any issues with their blueline last year, and it's only gotten better this year.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
The Flames could go either way, in my mind. If Smith plays well, then they'll be a top-2 Pacific team. If he plays poorly, they'll probably miss the playoffs unless Lack or Gillies comes through.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Solid D. Still missing that game breaker on offence. Hopefully Gaudreau will adjust and be able to pull a new rabbit out of his bag of tricks this year to break the 80 pt barrier. Goal tending is iffy. Hope to be pleasantly surprised but am pessimistic about our goal tending tandem. Look forward to a breakout season from Bennett. Expect Tkachuk to get 50+ pts the year and continue to be a PIA to pay against.
Won't contend for the cup but will make the playoffs and finish ahead of the Oilers

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Overrated Defense, Overrated Offense, mediocre goal tending. I think they will have a mediocre showing this season.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Hamilton is getting there. Sorry we didn't pick 1st OA.

He's not a franchise dman, nor will he ever be.

I agree, picking 1OA in some years would have helped, unfortunately for your team it never happened at the other team in Alberta will show you why it is important in the long run any team you guys meet when it matters.

Los Patos de Anaheim

Nov 19, 2016
Idaho, USA
As much **** as I give them and their fans I think they're a really good team. Probably still 3rd in the pacific, but their goaltending prospects Gillies and Parsons should be good goalies, one of them likely an above average starter. I think within 2-3 years they should be legitimate cup contenders.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
They're ok. I don't think their d is anything special. Forwards are ok, tkchuk is a good player. I'm skeptical of their goaltending until proven otherwise, because I can't imagine a team getting such bad goaltending for so long without the team in front playing a big role.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
He's not a franchise dman, nor will he ever be.

I agree, picking 1OA in some years would have helped, unfortunately for your team it never happened at the other team in Alberta will show you why it is important in the long run any team you guys meet when it matters.

Ha ha cute that you think Hamilton is getting there.

Name me reasons why he can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad