Thoughts on a postseason run?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
What’s your basis?

My basis is we are top 5 in xGF% for the third season in a row, this time with more potent finishers and an improved defence....Resulting in the best 5v5 differential in the division (in the league for that matter but this has less value this year)

Agree with this basis or not, it’s still a pretty good basis.
My basis is called history. You bring up the Bruins as if KK and Suzuki are the equivalent of Krejci/Bergeron...I mean..thats a laughable assertion.

We need a lot to go our way to even have a chance and we also need the kids to take a nice step forward in their development.

Reactions: Et le But and Andy

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
What about the 'loser point'? There's no such thing – teams have always earned a point for finishing in a tie after 60 minutes. Always. Losing in a 3-on-3 OT isn't a loss, it's a failure to earn the extra gimmick point. That's not semantics; it's how hockey has worked from day-one. Tied after 60 minutes, get a point.
:clap:

Reactions: salbutera

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Not saying I disagree w sentiment, but a couple of data points to keep in mind;

- 2011 era Bergeron was a 50-55 point C....very Danault-esque

- Chara turned 34 during that regular season

- Seidenberg & Ference were the only Dman to be considered PMD category, are Kulak & Romanov really that inferior in comparison?

Bergeron already had a couple 70 point seasons under his belt prior to that season, and he was good enough to be selected to the team canada olympic roster in 2010. He also scored 20 points in 23 games in that playoff.

Danault plays a similar role, but Bergeron was and is better at it.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
My basis is called history. You bring up the Bruins as if KK and Suzuki are the equivalent of Krejci/Bergeron...I mean..thats a laughable assertion.

We need a lot to go our way to even have a chance and we also need the kids to take a nice step forward in their development.

Didn’t even mention KK or Suzuki but OK.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
i disagree about Bergevin being fired if we make the POs .we finished 24th last season and if we make a round or two, it's a big progression. I think that Molson doesn't look at the season the way fans do; he looks more at the progression, the players that will come soon , and at the long run
Progression lol.

Look at it from the time he got control of the team, he crashed it and is only now slowly fixing it.
Too little too late, if the team doesn't get to the conference finals he should resign.

Reactions: Habs13

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
does it matter? they'll be eliminated by the leafs. and if by some miracle they get past them, the lightning will take care of them.

my thoughts: im just enjoying habs hockey while i still can

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
In terms of the D, I think that first of all, MB does gravitate to players in his own image. The "solid " lunch pail guys who play D first and foremost , and play a physical style. So he does not put as much value on the PMDs. You know, the players with skill.

Secondly, MB is just a garage sale junkie. He can't help but try to find the gems for cheap. I think in part this feeds his ego, people applauding him for finding the Petry, Byron, Danault players. I mean its great the he has done that, terrific job, and you can do that if you are slotting the guy low in the line up. But if you need a no.2 D , you don't trade 4th round picks or equivalents in the hope the guy is that.
He did get Anderson and Toffoli, Petry though. Garbage type deals are his bread and butter. He's done decent at it.

Bergs made the big mistake of counting on Price instead of trading him when value was high. Going to ruin team for next 5 years.

Reactions: Et le But

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
He did get Anderson and Toffoli, Petry though. Garbage type deals are his bread and butter. He's done decent at it.

Bergs made the big mistake of counting on Price instead of trading him when value was high. Going to ruin team for next 5 years.

I point out some of his home runs. He has certainly killed it a number of times. I'm just saying its one thing to do a buy low deal on a player that you are just hoping sticks with tje team, because if he doesn't its fine , expectations were low. Its another thing needing to fill a need in the top of the line up and thinking you can find a guy like that with a 3rd round pick. Sometimes you need to pay up.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I take it you never seen a winning team? To be satisfied with that effort
This also isn’t the 90s, 80s, 70s, 60s or 50s NHL - league parity has never been as strong. Leafs lost what 7-straight regulation games recently?

Yes the team had a bad game ...putrid game in fact but NHL is a points collection league and as such this is only the 4th time under Dom Dom they failed to collect a point....that’s very impressive.

There’s no reason to believe that trend shouldn’t continue

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2021-4-19_21-16-25.png

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Nothing to do now but hope for the best. The odds are still in the Habs favour to make the playoffs I believe. If they can make it hopefully they can play well. After the season will be the time for me to reflect on the team but now I'm just hoping they find their game.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
If the Habs accumulate 15 points in their last 12 games, it's over for Calgary and Vancouver.
For Calgary, you'd think they need to sweep the next three games to have a chance.

15 points might be optimistic but yes, it's over if they get that many. Even 12 makes it tough unless Calgary sweeps. It's unlikely Vancouver can play over .600 hockey with their schedule but you never know.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
Can the Habs beat the Leafs in the first round? Maybe - odds at 25% perhaps?

Price would have to be great - it's possible.
They would have to minimize Mathews and Marner - it's possible only if they limit PP opportunities.
They would have to be healthy - Gally needs to be the Gally he was a few weeks ago.
Struggling players need to find their game quickly.
Young guns must play like they did in the bubble last year.

Their odds might be worse against Winnipeg but close to 50% against the Oilers.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Even if we make the playoffs, I can't even be excited about it because the team has basically no chance of winning the Cup.

This team is average at best, far from being a contender. Man it's hard to keep interest in the Habs after so many years of boring and uninspired hockey as well as not being contenders.

f*** Bergevin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad