Thoughts about Jankowski?

HAKAN LOOB

Oct 5, 2013
Picking the consensus BPA is also how you arrive at a guy like Trevor Kidd over Martin Brodeur. So it's not like going with the flow is always the best idea. You pay your scouts because you trust their judgement, so if they say that Player B is going to be better than Player A, then you should either listen or fire them.

Well, we didn't really trust our scouts judgement, we went with who the then-assistant GM wanted, on the bright side, since the Flames didn't trust his judgement, they did fire him.

Hopefully he helps Vancouver make the choice to draft a high school student, when they should really start a rebuild, and hopefully he manages to do it 4-5 times in a row!

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Well, we didn't really trust our scouts judgement, we went with who the then-assistant GM wanted, on the bright side, since the Flames didn't trust his judgement, they did fire him.

Hopefully he helps Vancouver make the choice to draft a high school student, when they should really start a rebuild, and hopefully he manages to do it 4-5 times in a row!

How are we supposed to know what the scouting staff thought of Janko? We know one Button thought very highly of him- who's to say the other one didn't too? But regardless, that's what I'm saying: the second you lose trust in people advising you, they should be fired. But so long as you are employing them, you should listen to them.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
How are we supposed to know what the scouting staff thought of Janko? We know one Button thought very highly of him- who's to say the other one didn't too? But regardless, that's what I'm saying: the second you lose trust in people advising you, they should be fired. But so long as you are employing them, you should listen to them.

Nah, TSN knows better. We shoulda taken Shinkaruk over Poirier too. :sarcasm:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

That is simply not true at all. Weisbrod went to see him because he was suggested by Button. All Weisbrod did is tell Feaster not to trade the pick because he and the scouts loved what they saw in Janko.

robbie111

Nov 10, 2013
Jankowski dominated scrimmage today. Looked better than Poirier who was also very good and much better than Klimchuk.

Jankowski makes a lot of very smart little plays like holding on to the puck to get a change and is extremely hard to move off the puck. I think Providences defensive style has really helped him.

He was over 59% in faceoffs last year and that's something Flames fans can look forward to in a couple of years when he makes the Flames.

Wished Bennett would have played today just to see how Jankowski matches up with him as he was head and shoulders above all competition.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Jankowski dominated scrimmage today. Looked better than Poirier who was also very good and much better than Klimchuk.

Jankowski makes a lot of very smart little plays like holding on to the puck to get a change and is extremely hard to move off the puck. I think Providences defensive style has really helped him.

He was over 59% in faceoffs last year and that's something Flames fans can look forward to in a couple of years when he makes the Flames.

Wished Bennett would have played today just to see how Jankowski matches up with him as he was head and shoulders above all competition.

That's exciting to hear, especially because he's so close in age to Poirier and Klimchuk.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Honestly, Jankowski turning heads at dev. camp has me kind of nervous. I started being nervous at the end of the season when it was clear that we weren't going to sign him. That's only heightened now. We have extreme depth down the middle right now. Is Janko going to want to sign here? The members of management who brought him in and supported him as a pick are all gone, and the current management has, at times, seemed to avoid talking about him

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Honestly, Jankowski turning heads at dev. camp has me kind of nervous. I started being nervous at the end of the season when it was clear that we weren't going to sign him. That's only heightened now. We have extreme depth down the middle right now. Is Janko going to want to sign here? The members of management who brought him in and supported him as a pick are all gone, and the current management has, at times, seemed to avoid talking about him

Question: If Jankowski doesn't sign with us, do we get compensated because he was a 1st round pick?

(I'd rather him sign, though)

Trae

Calgary

Mentioned a bit in Darren Haynes' recent article, I am not personally concerned at all, his character seems to be pretty evident.

http://flamesfrom80feet.blogspot.ca/2015/07/yakking-with-jankowski-pro-wannabe.html

As the 6-foot-3, 190 pounder prepares to embark on his final season of college hockey, much like what the scenario was for Bill Arnold, who played his full four years of school, there is no flight risk concerns at all with Jankowski.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Question: If Jankowski doesn't sign with us, do we get compensated because he was a 1st round pick?

Indeed. The Flames would get the 51st pick in the 2017 draft if Jankowski doesn't sign.
Mentioned a bit in Darren Haynes' recent article, I am not personally concerned at all, his character seems to be pretty evident.

http://flamesfrom80feet.blogspot.ca/2015/07/yakking-with-jankowski-pro-wannabe.html
From the article:
"After the season, we had a few conversations about how the year went, how I felt I progressed as the season went on, what did I want to do for next year and what they think would be best," Jankowski said.

The discussions involved Calgary GM Brad Treliving and his management team as well as Jankowski's adviser and his family.

"We had good talks and in the end, they thought it was best for me to come back for my senior year, get my degree and just try and have that full year where we've got the target on our back," Jankowski said. "I think it's going to be a good challenge for us and for me personally and I'm really looking forward to it."

While it isn't necessarily what he wanted, Jankowski is on-board with the decision and sees the benefits.

"It's every kid's dream to sign an NHL contract and play in the NHL but you have to be level-headed and you've got to know what is best for you," said the personable native of St. Catherines, Ontario. "You don't want to jump the gun too quick. No one gets hurt by taking a little bit longer or spending another year. It can only help you so that's a big reason why I'm going back for my senior year.​
Interesting that the Flames wanted him to go back for his senior year. Still think he might have been better off in the AHL in a more offensive system.

But it does read as though he wants to sign here.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Granted its been a few years(one year after we took him in the draft), but last time I spoke with him at the development camp he was beyond thrilled to be a Flame. I think us picking him where we did is a big thing for him. Similar with Mason MacDonald. It gives guys a huge boost of confidence when you get picked earlier than expected by the "consensus" or in MacDonalds case, the first goalie in his draft year taken.

I'm really hoping Jankowski signs with us. I've been saying it for several years, he thinks the game incredibly well, has a huge frame, and has become an excellent defensive player. Even if his offense never fully evolves to an NHL level he's got all the tools to still be an effective NHL player.

Edit: Not to toot my own horn or anything but its highly amusing to re-read my post from the camp several years ago and see how well I did on some players.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=69283499#post69283499

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Maybe he'll be our version of Martin Hanzal.

But then again I've always believed he would turn out to be a Colborne like career projection. I'm on track!

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Maybe he'll be our version of Martin Hanzal.

But then again I've always believed he would turn out to be a Colborne like career projection. I'm on track!

Biggest difference between the two is that instead of just shootout ability to go with some offense we get faceoffs and defensive play. I would swap a Colborne that does those two for the version we have now lol.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Biggest difference between the two is that instead of just shootout ability to go with some offense we get faceoffs and defensive play. I would swap a Colborne that does those two for the version we have now lol.

Well I meant Colborne career trajectory, not playing style. His abilities are more aligned with a Martin Hanzal type at this point.

I meant along the lines of slow and steady progress, probably won't become a full time player till around 23/24. Probably will spend 2 seasons in the AHL type.

Caged Great

Jan 1, 2007
Calgary
Interesting that the Flames wanted him to go back for his senior year. Still think he might have been better off in the AHL in a more offensive system.

But it does read as though he wants to sign here.

The Flames likely want him to put on some weight. I spoke with him yesterday as well and he still could add 15 pounds, although he is bulkier than the last two times I saw him.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Yeah you did a pretty good job looking back at this! Except regarding Hanowski. :laugh:

Yeah.... can't bat 100% unfortunately. I still stand by that I thought based on that camp, but its a perfect example of why you can't take what happens in a camp as gospel.

This was also right after we got to see him for a game or two at the NHL level to end the season.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I was curious about whether he was sent back to College for training in "intangibles". Sure, the Flames could sign him this year, but then he would miss out on possibly being a Captain on the team, more defensive responsibility, being more a go to guy for scoring or whatever (due to talent in Stockton burying him or taking away focus from him as well as lots of the guys on the team graduating), and learning how to play with a target on your back. Great learning experience really.

Aug 21, 2014
I was curious about whether he was sent back to College for training in "intangibles". Sure, the Flames could sign him this year, but then he would miss out on possibly being a Captain on the team, more defensive responsibility, being more a go to guy for scoring or whatever (due to talent in Stockton burying him or taking away focus from him as well as lots of the guys on the team graduating), and learning how to play with a target on your back. Great learning experience really.

You make a good point about finishing his College career. Those intangibles are what separate the winners from the losers.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm happy that he showed well during this prospect camp. To be fair though, if he didn't that'd be displeasing considering he's suppose to have the highest pedigree and be further along his development than anyone in camp.

He needs a big season. It's one thing to be a stud against 18, 19 and low end 20 year olds; but he needs to dominate the NCAA this year; and move into a good professional setting next year. There's some possible upside there, I have no idea what it is, but he has the size and the mitts to do some good in this league.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm happy that he showed well during this prospect camp. To be fair though, if he didn't that'd be displeasing considering he's suppose to have the highest pedigree and be further along his development than anyone in camp.

He needs a big season. It's one thing to be a stud against 18, 19 and low end 20 year olds; but he needs to dominate the NCAA this year; and move into a good professional setting next year. There's some possible upside there, I have no idea what it is, but he has the size and the mitts to do some good in this league.

We could be seeing a Bergeron effect with Janko though. Bergeron is a 55-60 point forward playing 2C for the B's. If he played for a coach like Hartley, I'd wager Patrice would score close to 80. He's actually an unbelievably skilled player and Janko seems to have similar natural ability. If his focus is defence, it explains a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad