Thoughts about Jankowski?

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
We could be seeing a Bergeron effect with Janko though. Bergeron is a 55-60 point forward playing 2C for the B's. If he played for a coach like Hartley, I'd wager Patrice would score close to 80. He's actually an unbelievably skilled player and Janko seems to have similar natural ability. If his focus is defence, it explains a lot.

I wouldn't expect that much.

Bergeron came in as an 18 year old and already was pretty good. I wouldn't hold Janko to that same standard.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I wouldn't expect that much.

Bergeron came in as an 18 year old and already was pretty good. I wouldn't hold Janko to that same standard.

In college though I think the comparison is valid given the situation. In the NHL, Bergeron is a legit star and I don't necessarily have those expectations for Janko.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
A bigger, more durable version of Backlund with a better face off percentage sounds pretty good too! A big, 3C that can defend and put up 40 points would be amazing.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Which is why if you called him a bust at any point, you were 100% wrong.

I agree with you, it's just looked like it because he wasn't producing as people thought he would. As long as he becomes a consistent NHL player it shouldn't matter.

It takes longer for some players to find their groove.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
People are quick to call him a bust not because of where he is at progression wise, but where he was picked in the first round with the players that were still left on the board.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Let's not forget the jury is still out, one promising prospect camp does guarantee a successful NHL career. None of us know what was going on behind the scenes with the organization, at the time but it still seems like they were position targeting. Given the state of the franchise, at the time, BPA still seems like a solid move. Janko may become a great centre, but it's still hard not imagine our defense, right now, with Maatta or Ceci. Time will tell if the gamble pays off but there's still no denying it was a huge risk.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
it's still hard not imagine our defense, right now, with Maatta or Ceci. Time will tell if the gamble pays off but there's still no denying it was a huge risk.

Maybe having Maatta/Ceci means we never bring in Russell and don't make the playoffs last year because Maatta can't bring that leadership and poise and health.

Maybe having Maatta means we never give Brodie a chance on the top pairing, he stays paired with Smid, underperforms, and gets traded for pennies on the dolllar.

Maybe having Maatta takes away Brad Treliving's urgency to bring in another possession-driving Dman, and we don't go after Dougie Hamilton.

Maybe Maatta is still toiling away in Stockton along with the other Dmen we drafted in 2012 and hasn't even made his NHL debut yet like with Culkin.

Maybe Maatta being there pushing in Stockton takes away Brad Treliving's urgency to trade up for Oliver Kylington.

It's fair to fixate on hypotheticals if you're drafting in the top 5 or so. We were drafting 14th, and ultimately 21st/42nd. Every player in that range has question marks and unpredictable development curves. And just as David Pastrnak wasn't necessarily a better draft pick than Dylan Larkin, Travis Sanheim, or Alex Tuch, Olli Maatta winning the 50 meter sprint doesn't mean he's already won the marathon.

Last edited:
May 27, 2012
Earth
Maybe having Maatta/Ceci means we never bring in Russell and don't make the playoffs last year because Maatta can't bring that leadership and poise and health.

Maybe having Maatta means we never give Brodie a chance on the top pairing, he stays paired with Smid, underperforms, and gets traded for pennies on the dolllar.

Maybe having Maatta takes away Brad Treliving's urgency to bring in another possession-driving Dman, and we don't go after Dougie Hamilton.

Maybe Maatta is still toiling away in Stockton along with the other Dmen we drafted in 2012 and hasn't even made his NHL debut yet like with Culkin.

Maybe Maatta being there pushing in Stockton takes away Brad Treliving's urgency to trade up for Oliver Kylington.

It's fair to fixate on hypotheticals if you're drafting in the top 5 or so. We were drafting 14th, and ultimately 21st/42nd. Every player in that range has question marks and unpredictable development curves. And just as David Pastrnak wasn't necessarily a better draft pick than Dylan Larkin, Travis Sanheim, or Alex Tuch, Olli Maatta winning the 50 meter sprint doesn't mean he's already won the marathon.

Those are two different events.

If you meant they were a single event, then who would sprint right off the bat in a marathon?

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Those are two different events.

If you meant they were a single event, then who would sprint right off the bat in a marathon?

That's my point. The winner of the marathon hasn't been determined yet -what matters is who has the better career for the team that drafted him, not who makes it to the NHL first and has some early success.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
That's my point. The winner of the marathon hasn't been determined yet -what matters is who has the better career for the team that drafted him, not who makes it to the NHL first and has some early success.

I hate hockey players that treat it like marathons. They are lazy and don't put effort in, instead tending to "save energy".

Well hockey is a burst sport so by gods, you better be sprinting!

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Not sure if this has been posted already in another thread.

Glad to see they're vocal about how much they value him

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I really think 100TG is right in that Bennett will likely play wing for us, providing that Janko pans out. He's got everything you could ask for in a center and would be so deadly setting Bennett up, imagine Klimmer playing RW with those 2.

Of course he's not there yet, and may never be, but I really think his bust factor is quite low.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I love how nobody's considered the possibility that Monahan someday becomes a winger, the Marian Hossa or Patrick Sharp to Bennett's Toews.

There're so many ways to skin this center logjam cat. Great problem to have.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
I love how nobody's considered the possibility that Monahan someday becomes a winger, the Marian Hossa or Patrick Sharp to Bennett's Toews.

There're so many ways to skin this center logjam cat. Great problem to have.

Monahan has already proved himself to be a future Toews/Bergeron, I think if anyone sticks at C for sure it's him. Bennett is just entering the NHL so there is still some room to develop him as a LW/C, like I mentioned before similar to Matt Duchene

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Why would we consider that?

Because we're talking about two twenty year-olds and a just-turned 19 year old here, all of whom are centers and all of whom look best when playing center. But it's a foregone conclusion that Monahan will be a 1C because he spent half a year playing as one. Don't forget, even Eric Staal plays wing despite being an elite natural center.

Monahan has already proved himself to be a future Toews/Bergeron

He has done nothing of the sort. You can't "prove" yourself to be something in the future and both those guys were much better at things like faceoffs and defense at the same age.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad