Thoughts about Jankowski?

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Most people weren't too happy about the Flames taking Mark in the first round in last years draft. I like the selection and think he will ready to play in the NHL after his sophomore season (but knowing the Flames they will let him stay at Providence for 4 years and then have him play in Abby (or Utica) for a few years, have him lose confidence, and then won't re-sign. Saw him play a few times this year and am going to the Hockey East finals where I hope the Friars will be playing. 16 points in 30 games, for next year I'm guessing 25-30 points and will be first line. He has tremendous potential but I'm not sure the Flames will use him correctly. Thoughts about Jankowski?

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
I still think Calgary should have kept the 14th. I don't think Jankowski will ever make an impact in the AHL, let alone the NHL.

It's certainly a long shot and just another questionable draft pick. What is the deal with the Flames and loving college players? Gaudreau, Gillies, Jankowski DeBlouw

TylerSVT*

I dont think he turns into anything special for us. He will probably become a bust. I never liked that pick.

Why we didnt draft Teravainen is beyond me.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
He was rated around the 40 mark last year as the youngest player in the draft. I think theres a pretty good chance he would go in the first round this year. He was labelled as a project when we drafted him, I don't think some people know what that means.. You can't expect him to go in and tear it up in comparison to guy's like Teravainen, but he very well could surpass him in a couple years so please have some patience before you start calling an 18 year old kid a bust.

TylerSVT*

He was rated around the 40 mark last year as the youngest player in the draft. I think theres a pretty good chance he would go in the first round this year. He was labelled as a project when we drafted him, I don't think some people know what that means.. You can't expect him to go in and tear it up in comparison to guy's like Teravainen, but he very well could surpass him in a couple years so please have some patience before you start calling an 18 year old kid a bust.

When your team is as crappy as the Flames, with basically one decent prospect in the pipes (the rest are all pipe dreams). You dont take big risks on players IMO. Especially when you have a guy like TT just waiting to be drafted.

It was a stupid mistake and i still dont understand it. This whole "He could be the best player in the draft in 5 years" nonsense is exactly what got us into this wasteland of non-prospects to begin with.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Still not happy with the pick, but he's 18. TylerSVT must have a crystal ball implanted into his brain if he thinks he knows this kids future ceiling.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
What a whiny self serving thread from start to finish. Flames lose some games and all of a sudden we have no prospects and everyone sucks. So much melodrama on this board.

Jankowski is an interesting prospect in that he unlike Gaudreau and Baertschi is already a physically strong player at such a young age. We can't really tell yet how much of his skill is going to translate through to higher tier leagues. So far he has been as expected in the NCAA, hovering around .5PPG, anyone with a reasonable expectation hoped he would play around that mark.

The bigger test comes next year. He will need to step his game up and be a top scorer on his club, he needs to finish around 1ppg next year, while playing sound hockey in both ends. Janko's ceiling is still quite high but he is still very much a project prospect in every sense and his chance to bust is high for a first rounder. He has a great set of tools though so I think he was worth the risk. Time will tell.

Zoombie

Oct 28, 2011
Jankowski is a tall guy with great hands. If he can fill out, become a physical presence and play half decently defensively he'll be able to make the NHL. He has the skillset. Plus we picked up a 2nd trading down for him so I'd say it was a good pick.
Of course we won't know for 3-5 more years.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
What a whiny self serving thread from start to finish. Flames lose some games and all of a sudden we have no prospects and everyone sucks. So much melodrama on this board.

Jankowski is an interesting prospect in that he unlike Gaudreau and Baertschi is already a physically strong player at such a young age. We can't really tell yet how much of his skill is going to translate through to higher tier leagues. So far he has been as expected in the NCAA, hovering around .5PPG, anyone with a reasonable expectation hoped he would play around that mark.

The bigger test comes next year. He will need to step his game up and be a top scorer on his club, he needs to finish around 1ppg next year, while playing sound hockey in both ends. Janko's ceiling is still quite high but he is still very much a project prospect in every sense and his chance to bust is high for a first rounder. He has a great set of tools though so I think he was worth the risk. Time will tell.

Whiny? I like the the guy! He's a Freshman and is one of the reasons the Friars were one win away from a Hockey East title. Flames also don't have prospects whether they're on a 5 game skid or winning streak. Just asking thoughts about him.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
When your team is as crappy as the Flames, with basically one decent prospect in the pipes (the rest are all pipe dreams). You dont take big risks on players IMO. Especially when you have a guy like TT just waiting to be drafted.

It was a stupid mistake and i still dont understand it. This whole "He could be the best player in the draft in 5 years" nonsense is exactly what got us into this wasteland of non-prospects to begin with.

Hmm.. I thought we all agreed that it was Sutter that got us into this mess? I guess a change in management doesn't change the way we draft because of our history :huh: . At the end of the day it is Weisbrod who makes the big decisions on who we draft and so far it looks like he knows what he's doing. You look at Jankowski from a fan point of view and think you can make a better decision then an NHL scout. Did Nikita Filatov not look good his draft year? Where is he now. My point is you gota wait atleast a couple more years before you can label Jankowski as a "bad pick".

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
From my extremely limited viewings it's obvious that he's really tall, skinny and can dangle. I expect him to spend the full four years in college and join the Flames in 2016. Statswise he seems to be doing OK. I didn't hate the pick at all, if there's a position where we need to go for the homeruns it's big centermen (likewise if we have a top 5 pick this year I want to see Barkov).

TylerSVT*

Too early to tell but I think we should be traded up for Grigorenko.

Would have been ideal, but i dont think we have the assets to trade up. No 2nd in the 2012/2013 drafts and what exactly are you going to add to move up a few spots?

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Outside the first round for sure.

Probably mid 2nd round.

Not a good pick by the Flames.

If he was eligible this year rather than last he'd have been in the USHL rather than the NCAA. His point totals would likely be substantially different (they'd look better).

He was a risk, but it's a relatively good risk. His frame projects well, and he's already a good skater despite being a big kid (and physically awkward as hell). Ryan Lambert compared him to a giraffe on skates in terms of how tall/thin he is, so the fact that he's even producing at his current pace in a league against physically mature men is impressive. I think next season will be the better indicator of what we've got in Jankowski.

To this point I like the pick. I'd have enjoyed Teravainen, Ceci, or Mattaa as well, but I don't think they're currently projecting to be better players at the moment. They may be considered safer picks, but I don't think any of them has the same potential ceiling.

Last edited:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Whiny? I like the the guy! He's a Freshman and is one of the reasons the Friars were one win away from a Hockey East title. Flames also don't have prospects whether they're on a 5 game skid or winning streak. Just asking thoughts about him.

Well you seemed thoroughly unimpressed with the pick in the OP. I didn't mean just you so sorry if it came across that way, I was responding to several of the first few replies as well.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Bingo - there were still good prospects available at fourteen and the Flames should have looked at guys like Ceci.

Do you know how many draft eligible players play in the NCAA after highschool? Over the last few years practically none there have been Toews (39 points in 42 games) who is clearly a better player but was also on one of the most stacked teams of all time. And that is about it.

To say that he isn't a good prospect is pretty bad point when we simply don't know what he will be.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
I'd say about 95% don't even watch him on a regular basis (or get the chance to). He's doing fine as an 18 year old in the NCAA.

The problem is the team hasn't been in a spot to draft top line talent. Jankowski, though years away, has the potential to do so.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell

No it's not. Sutter never took a chance, in fact he always took the safest picks which led us to draft guys like Nemisz, Pelech, etc.

Some of us seem to forget how the draft mentality used to be a few years ago.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Do you know how many draft eligible players play in the NCAA after highschool? Over the last few years practically none there have been Toews (39 points in 42 games) who is clearly a better player but was also on one of the most stacked teams of all time. And that is about it.

To say that he isn't a good prospect is pretty bad point when we simply don't know what he will be.

He may not have gone from high school directly (He played for the US development team in the USHL for one season) but Quentin Shore is an example of someone who wasn't even drafted and went to the NCAA (Denver) as an 18 year old. He's also had a good rookie season. Lots of guys have great NCAA careers and don't go anywhere near the NHL

And I didn't say he wasn't a good prospect - I agree that he would have made a decent 2nd round pick for the Flames. But first round? Sorry - I think there were better players available.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad