Thoughts about Jankowski?

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
Doesn't the team have to offer a contract to the player and have it refused in order to receive compensation? I don't think the Flames can just say "not interested" and they'll get a pick out of it.

In the event a Club loses its draft rights to an Unsigned Draft Choice drafted in
the first round of the Entry Draft (except as a result of failing to tender a required Bona Fide
Offer
(as defined below)), who (i) is again eligible for the Entry Draft, (ii) becomes an
Unrestricted Free Agent, or (iii) dies, a Compensatory Draft Selection shall automatically be
granted to that Club, which Compensatory Draft Selection shall be the same numerical choice in
the second round in the Entry Draft immediately following the date the Club loses such rights.
By way of example, if a Club cannot sign the third pick in the first round, it will receive the third
pick in the second round as compensation.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
It's strange, we've started to stock up on Centre Depth over the last while and if we take a centre in round 1/2 this year with 4 picks that makes it a bit tough for Janko to see himself as a Centre for Calgary (long way to go for that as it is), that makes him tough to sign after 4 years.

So we may feel a bit more pressured to sign him if he looks like he'll turn out.

Right now, he has 2 big red flags in having very few points, 6th in scoring for a team with just Mauermann (undrafted) as a real offensive threat over Janko, and he's still not a strong player as a guy who really was expected to fill out a lot more at this point.

That said watching the 2 final games, he looks like a guy that was picked in the 2012 1st round. And I think the Flames absolutely shouldn't forget about this guy as a potential top 6 player (Centre might still be a great option if they like having Bennett on wing).

So one thought might be they are still waiting to see if they sign him this summer, and that could go through Rookie Camp in the summer. As lame a sample size as that is, they could look at it as an evaluation to whether pro hockey will be a boost to his growth or if he really needs that 4th year in the NCAA as the go-to player. And it shouldn't be surprising based on the lack of talk surrounding him.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
It doesn't seem to me like he is even close to NHL ready. I do hope he works out but if he doesn't its a harsh reminder when you have a weak prospect pool don't take such a high risk high reward prospect in the first round. At least we've gotten our pool deeper since then.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I really want to see Janko come to Stockton next year. And really just because he didn't sign when Gillies did, that does not mean that it's not going to happen. IMO, it was a no brainer to make Gillies sign a pro contract, whereas with Jankowski it's not as simple.

I've said this for a long time, when he was drafted he was selected because he's an offensive player. He was sent to Providence because his largest area of weakness was his defensive game. Well he's worked on that for 3 seasons now and it's not as if Huska doesn't play a defensive system either, it's just pretty up tempo. I'd like to see him play with some players that are more skilled and have him focus on creating more offence, I think it's pretty important.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
I really want to see Janko come to Stockton next year. And really just because he didn't sign when Gillies did, that does not mean that it's not going to happen. IMO, it was a no brainer to make Gillies sign a pro contract, whereas with Jankowski it's not as simple.

I've said this for a long time, when he was drafted he was selected because he's an offensive player. He was sent to Providence because his largest area of weakness was his defensive game. Well he's worked on that for 3 seasons now and it's not as if Huska doesn't play a defensive system either, it's just pretty up tempo. I'd like to see him play with some players that are more skilled and have him focus on creating more offence, I think it's pretty important.

Yeah, this.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I've said this for a long time, when he was drafted he was selected because he's an offensive player. He was sent to Providence because his largest area of weakness was his defensive game.

I don't buy this at all. If he was already a good offensive player, he wouldn't have thoroughly mediocre numbers in his third year of college, regardless of who he's playing with. I think he was a completely raw player in every sense of the word; physically, mentally, offensively, and defensively. He might've been an "offensive player" compared to the other kids in the D-level league he was playing in, but compared to other NHL prospects or NCAA Division 1 players?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
/\ We won't really know how good his offensive ability is until he's out of Providence's defense-first system.

Keep in mind that, at 20 years old, Jankowski is still very young as a college junior. Another year in Providence will not hurt his development, and he would only be 21/22 if he finishes college and starts as a pro in 2016/17.

The only part I could see helping would be the training/gym time if he went pro next season, allowing him to bulk up a bit.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
To be clear, he wasn't sent to Providence, he chose it.

But I agree that Stockton would be a better place to develop his offensive skills given Nate Leaman uses him primarily as a shutdown centre and who knows whether that will actually change next year.

A little weird how there's no official story about what the organizations plans are regarding Jankowski or what his intentions are, i.e. eager to play a 4th year or even hasn't made a decision yet.

Only thing I can find on google is a scouting report from a week ago by Treliving:
Treliving’s take: “He continues to mature physically. A big, long body. Really long reach. A really good skill-set. He has some offensive ability and I think he’s learning to play away from the puck and play in all three zones. Not necessarily learning to play, but he’s really taken a step forward in that regard. What we’ve seen is he’s continuing to have, even as this season has gone along, more and more of an impact on the game. I think it was noted at the time that he was drafted that it’s a work in progress with Mark. There’s some really attractive attributes to this player — size, centreman, he has the ability to make plays. For him, it’s just continuing to mature and develop, physically more than anything else.”

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
The only part I could see helping would be the training/gym time if he went pro next season, allowing him to bulk up a bit.

I agree with this. I think the AHL would be perfect for him for at least one season. and the time is now.

Reason being, he needs to play a heavier schedule, have better trainers, and play with better players. I think this will help us determine if he is a AHLer or if he has the potential to play in the NHL.

Just because some prospects put up insane numbers in JR or Collage doesn't mean it translates at the NHL level. In saying that, some players put up mediocre numbers in lower levels, then with the proper development coaches, turn into clutch scoring machines at the NHL level.

Way to early to give up on him. Way to early to even see where he lands on the depth chart.

I remember putting Jooris in my top 5 prospects, and this board was like, seriously? Are you joking? I saw in him a willingness to grow, do what was asked, and basically took his opportunity and ran with it.

Here he is a main stay in the lineup. He didn't put up Gaudreau numbers either in lower level play. And today he is very effective and adjusted his role.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
To be clear, he wasn't sent to Providence, he chose it.

But I agree that Stockton would be a better place to develop his offensive skills given Nate Leaman uses him primarily as a shutdown centre and who knows whether that will actually change next year.

A little weird how there's no official story about what the organizations plans are regarding Jankowski or what his intentions are, i.e. eager to play a 4th year or even hasn't made a decision yet.

Only thing I can find on google is a scouting report from a week ago by Treliving:

I've found that relative silence kind of odd as well. My tin-foil hat theory is that Burke is prejudiced against him because he sees Jankowski as a poster-boy for Feaster's questionable decisions.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm not claiming to have watched Janko a ton over the last 2 seasons, but I have been able to watch him 5-6 times over that span. I think it's pretty clear to anyone really that just by watching him that you can be able to say he's an offensive player. I mean, he's an excellent skater, he's very good at carrying the puck, has good hands, and he's an above average stick handler. He quite reminds me of Jason Spezza. So I mean, style wise, yeah I think he's an offensive player.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I've found that relative silence kind of odd as well. My tin-foil hat theory is that Burke is prejudiced against him because he sees Jankowski as a poster-boy for Feaster's questionable decisions.

Burke did say last year that all the good players only spend three years in the NCAA . . .

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This is going to be a big year for Janko. If he doesn't go pro (which it appears he won't) he'll be given a bigger top 6 role at Providence.

That being said, without Gillies holding down the fort, their heart and soul forward and one of their top 3 scoring forwards leaving this year; it may not be a great year for the defensive first crew in Providence. This'll be a big one for Janko. If he can fill in the production from those two big loses on their forward depth; it'll go a long way to proving his draft pedigree.

It's no secret I didn't like this pick, and with the emergence of 3 players we directly could have picked into the NHL, it's tough to keep your chin up. Janko is what he is, he's looked good recently (Frozen Four) and I hope that's his trajectory moving forward. I always have to remind myself that he'll only be 21 years old in his last NCAA season; which does make it a bit better when he's not lighting the world on fire quite yet.

I thought it had more benefit moving him to the AHL; to have professional trainers, not have to worry about school and to be around guys who are actual hockey professionals (the Big Erns of this world). But hey, if we delay him one more year it's not a terrible thing. Only 6 years to go before he's the best player out of this draft.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I'm not going to be upset if he chooses to finish out college. He isn't even a guaranteed NHL regular for sure 100%, and if he wants to get his schooling done or mostly done before going for the pros all the power to him

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't buy this at all. If he was already a good offensive player, he wouldn't have thoroughly mediocre numbers in his third year of college, regardless of who he's playing with. I think he was a completely raw player in every sense of the word; physically, mentally, offensively, and defensively. He might've been an "offensive player" compared to the other kids in the D-level league he was playing in, but compared to other NHL prospects or NCAA Division 1 players?
I didn't like how this was starting but I agree completely, he was very raw in every aspect. It was just assumed he'd be an offensive player because of his vision, hands and skating

Yeah, but on the other hand you could argue that Jankowski is the same age as a lot of sophomores.
its a valid argument too,in his sophomore season he was still the youngest on his team IIRC. Jankowski wasn't projected to go pro for 5 years when drafted as talk was a year in the USHL and then 4 of college. The fact we're even discussing the idea of him going pro after year #3 is proof of his growth as a player.

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010
Just wondering but for centers to transition to another position LW/RW how hard is it really? I know for wingers to try C its quite difficult.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Just wondering but for centers to transition to another position LW/RW how hard is it really? I know for wingers to try C its quite difficult.
Janko played LW as a freshman so it'd be pretty easy for him.

Honestly tho if he grows offensively as a pro it might be prudent to have him as a center and Bennett as a LW as I believe their games would compliment each other exceptionally well.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012

Much harder to move into center from the wing. Also depends on the coaches system.

Centers are usually aware and conscious of where the wingers have to be....so moving to wing, it's easier to be in position. Also, centers have a defensive responsibility that usually places them in the neutral zone once you've lost possession.

That's why they rarely see centers deep on the forecheck.

My opinion.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Jankowski has the best of both worlds for us.

Either he signs with us and plays in Stockton, or he plays top 6 minutes in Providence. I'm fine with either.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Mark Jankowski has really rounded out his game over the past three seasons, and although he does have a handful of standout offensive traits (hands, skating, size) I don't believe he will ever be a dominant offensive force. It's just not in his nature to take over a game in that regard. He simply does not play with enough assertiveness in the offensive zone (although that may change with a greater opportunity) to become a dynamic offensive threat at the NHL level...and that is absolutely fine. If he can carve out a career as a strong middle of the lineup forward who can chip in and help the team in all facets of the game then he will become a successful draft selection and asset. At this point it does not seem unrealistic at all to project him to become such a player based on everything we have seen do date either.

I don't know if he is currently better served playing out his senior year in Providence or turning pro, but I would certainly like to see more of an emphasis put on developing his offensive game where ever he may end up. He may not yet know just how good he can become with all of the tools he does have. I do see an NHL future in some capacity, however I still remain unsure of his absolute upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00