Movies: Thor: Ragnarok

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Saw it on Tuesday and was really disappointed. It was funny for about 20-30 minutes, then it was just the same basic jokes over and over and over again, and from every single character trying to be the same kind of funny. It also killed the ability for the dramatic scenes to be properly dramatic.

I also don't get the love for Korg. He was a stupid, one-note joke character.

This is the first of the Marvel movies that I've wholly disliked. I've had a few that I didn't like parts of or elements from, but this is the first time I've ended up disliking the movie as a whole.

Linda Bacon

Canada fan
Nov 7, 2017
I cant believe Cate Blanchett is 48, man was she sexy as hell. Overall a very entertaining movie, I was not disappointed at all.

Reactions: Pilky01

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Finally got around to seeing it. I thought it was really funny and really good.

PLEASE give us a Hulk movie! That one line where Hulk was hating Banner was awesome and Hulk actually has a lot of cool stories that would totally work for an independent movie

Marvel doesn't have the solo rights to produce a Hulk movie, if they do they have to pay royalties to Sony. Marvel used the "Team-Up" approach to avoid this royalty fee, hence why he appears in Thor.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Saw this on the weekend. It was a great popcorn film. Humour worked for me, and was engaging throughout (where previous Thor movies failed).

Stakes were never high, and one thing that does bother me is the idea that everyone in Asgard is able to fit onto a single ship. It makes the world seem small.

I'm just glad that Thor at least has an identity as a character going into Infinity Wars. I also think this is a film that I'll have no issue rewatching if it's on. As good as Marvel has been, I can't say many have inspired rewatches from me, and this one might.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I liked that they barely defeated (if that - probably not) Cate Blanchett. It's nice having villains worth fearing.
It could be argued that they didn't even defeat her. They had to use Surtur and in the process lost their home while Hela is still alive and will likely be back in the future.

Reactions: Baby Punisher

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
k10/10 tbh.

Geeked out when Thor hit the ground with the umbrella to change to his Asgardian self, very old comicbook like, when D. Blake did the same with his walking stick.

Blanchett was also great as reverse Galadriel

Reactions: PrinceSexyHenrik

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I liked that they barely defeated (if that - probably not) Cate Blanchett. It's nice having villains worth fearing.
Marvel's big problem since essentially the beginning has been a lack of interesting villains in their films.

With Blanchett here and previously Mikkelsen in Dr. Strange, maybe they're finally starting to get that part right.

Reactions: Neutrinos

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Saw it yesterday and liked it very much. I thought the length was fine. Sure it could have been longer but, I think they touched all the areas they needed to address. The humor was ok it could have had less and I wouldn't have been bothered by it. I thought Tessa Thompson was really great. The Hulk storyline was well done too. Banner finally feels what the Hulk feels when he is kept inside as long as he used to keep the Hulk inside. I thought Banner's revelation that he and the Hulk are not one person and the Hulk is becoming his own person was great theater. That is one aspect of the film they could have dove deeper into. That mental side of Banner and Hulk could be some heavy stuff. Hulk is still childlike and his arc between now and the next two films will show him "growing up" to a certain extent.

Hella was great. I love how she pulled the cover off of the benevolent Odin and showed him for the Tyrant he once was. All around a great fun movie. One question I have about Hella was who was her Mother? Was it Fridda? Loki was Loki. He may have finally grown up a bit too. All in all the theme of this movie was about growing up, growth and dealing with your family and past, present and future.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Marvel's big problem since essentially the beginning has been a lack of interesting villains in their films.

With Blanchett here and previously Mikkelsen in Dr. Strange, maybe they're finally starting to get that part right.

Don't forget Keaton's Vulture. I know he isn't on the same scale as Hela, but he was a tremendous movie villain.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Saw it yesterday and liked it very much. I thought the length was fine. Sure it could have been longer but, I think they touched all the areas they needed to address. The humor was ok it could have had less and I wouldn't have been bothered by it. I thought Tessa Thompson was really great. The Hulk storyline was well done too. Banner finally feels what the Hulk feels when he is kept inside as long as he used to keep the Hulk inside. I thought Banner's revelation that he and the Hulk are not one person and the Hulk is becoming his own person was great theater. That is one aspect of the film they could have dove deeper into. That mental side of Banner and Hulk could be some heavy stuff. Hulk is still childlike and his arc between now and the next two films will show him "growing up" to a certain extent.

Hella was great. I love how she pulled the cover off of the benevolent Odin and showed him for the Tyrant he once was. All around a great fun movie. One question I have about Hella was who was her Mother? Was it Fridda? Loki was Loki. He may have finally grown up a bit too. All in all the theme of this movie was about growing up, growth and dealing with your family and past, present and future.

Hard to say who her mother would be as in the comics it's Loki that supposedly father her with a giantess/witch names Angerboda and Odin is us more of a foster-uncle. The MCU has also not talked about Thor's many brothers. Heck in the comics Fridda is not Thor's blood mother, that title goes to Gaea one of the elder gods from Midgard. Odin wanted an offspring that had powers from both Asgard and Midgard. Who knows if the MCU will ever include any of this.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008

I think that it makes sense though (maybe unintentionally). Thanos, Hella, etc. now seem unstoppable with how "weak" the previous villains have been.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Hard to say who her mother would be as in the comics it's Loki that supposedly father her with a giantess/witch names Angerboda and Odin is us more of a foster-uncle. The MCU has also not talked about Thor's many brothers. Heck in the comics Fridda is not Thor's blood mother, that title goes to Gaea one of the elder gods from Midgard. Odin wanted an offspring that had powers from both Asgard and Midgard. Who knows if the MCU will ever include any of this.

The comics tend to follow Norse mythology fairly closely when it comes to the parentage of various people. Loki is the father of Hela, the wolf Fenrir, and the Midgard Serpent. He can also take female form and is the "mother" of Odin's eight-legged horse. Those crazy Vikings.

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I didn't know any of that.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i saw this. I'm not sure how I exactly feel about it.
i did like the music they kept doing the one in the trailer.

there was just a lot of "why" that kinda bugged me. but the Hulk bits i enjoyed.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
"Piss off ghost!" ... "he's frikin' gone"

"Oh, Miek’s dead. Yeah, I accidentally stomped on him on the bridge. I just felt so guilty I've been carrying him around all day. Oh, Miek, you're alive! He's alive, guys."

Those two lines had me dying.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
If not for Jeff Goldblum's appearance, this may have been a perfect superhero movie

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I wouldn't be completely shocked if Cate received a supporting actress nomination

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Can't wait to watch this again on Blu Ray tomorrow.

Crazy how split the reactions are to this movie and yet this thread still hasn't been moved to the politics board. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Voight

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Overall I liked it- very entertaining. I do think they went a little too far with the comic angle, although the actors pulled if off nicely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad