Movies: Thor: Ragnarok

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Was amazing, I loved it and friends who went with me also. Good mix of comedy and action. Won't say more not to ruin it for others but well worth seeing.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Saw it tonite. Really enjoyed it. Just the right mix of action, comedy and the sarcastic responses.
In guessing the first credit scene is a infinity war teaser

It is, that was a
Chitari vessel who work for Thanos so possibly even Thanos' vessel

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Now everybody who thought this was funny (and it was), go watch Waititi's What We Do In The Shadows again if you haven't already. Or even if you have.

As the hype for this film built, when I checked out Waititis previous films, I saw that listed and still can't get excited to go back and watch it, despite the praise. I think both the mockumentary and vampire formats seem stale to me, but, I've added it to my Netflix list.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
If you're not going to connect with the comedy then you won't like this film. I'm surprised it's generally liked, but also not surprised I guess. I personally liked it but as a movie it lacks emotionality or ingenuity. Sure it's got interesting action set pieces and visual style, but it never truly does anything I haven't seen before.

Pros:
-Great action
-very funny

cons:
-very few emotional scenes, and even then those felt rushed through
-not a great villian. While Blanchett is great in the role of Hela and very beautiful, the character lacks any depth and her relationship with other characters in the film are either glossed over or underdeveloped.
-pretty standard plot; a somewhat surprising plot device reveal at the end but had very little emotional impact for me.

It's fun time at the movies. If your not going there to just laugh and just have a good time then you might as well not go at all because the movie doesn't offer much else. But I certainly enjoyed what it did offer though.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Nice movie. Super funny, you just feel the strength of both Thor and Hulk there and theyre pretty much matched, which is just right.

Ruffalo was meh, could bring a lot more, but he wasn't given anything to work with either.

Some really cheesy lines, but hey. Kinda liked it. I love movies that are over the top, fully aware of what they are. Kinda reminded me of the new King Kong. Super sketchy but so good.

Once again the big bad is too weak though, way too easily dispatched and so is Fenrir. Come on, Fenrir is on the screen, he looks absolutely bonkers and all he gets is a few tug of the tail and a mouth grab by the hulk ? Sad.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Hunt for the Wilderpeople is better than Shadows, though the humour in Shadows is more transferable to other cultures/audiences whereas more of Wilderpeople might get lost on people not from or familiar with NZ.

In fact I prefer Boy and Eagle vs Shark to Shadows also. But the above probably holds true for those two as well.

To have this mega big Marvel movie riddled with Kiwi humour and Easter eggs is so awesome.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Saw it the other night.

It was good, but didn't quite reach my expectations unfortunately. Partially my own fault as I had pretty high expectations for it after the trailers and with how well it was doing in reviews.

I mean it was still a fun and enjoyable film, but it just felt like from start to finish it was missing something. After reflecting on it the day after I kind of decided that it felt a bit rushed to me. It was one thing I wondered about before seeing it, that they seemed to have a tonne of stuff going on to be trying to fit into a ~2 hour movie. And I think they ended up rushing a few scenes or parts because of that. If it had been 20-30 minutes longer I think it would have been much better for me. Though I understand completely why they wanted to keep it in that 2 hour zone instead of letting it become 2.5 hour movie.

Anyway, still easily the best Thor movie and a fun enjoyable movie to watch regardless. Korg is probably in my Top 5 Marvel characters now. I dunno what they have planned for him going forward but the more screen time he gets the better as far as I'm concerned. Miek as well for that matter.

8/10 if I were to give it a numerical rating. Super excited for Infinity Wars now.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Saw it over the weekend. Very good. It's not Winter Soldier but it's a fun movie. Definitely the best Thor movies.

Also Korg GOAT.
He has been such a success, Kevin Feige has stated a movie of him and his buddy Miek is possible down the road.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I just saw this movie. Thought it was great. Solid laughs all the way through.

If Korg isn't featured in many, many more movies after this they'll have missed a massive opportunity.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
I liked it. Really enjoyable. I wish they would tone down the comedy a notch, especially for Infinity War.

One other gripe is the plot is too similar to the first Thor and The Dark Knight Rises.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Just got back from seeing it and I loved it. It's the best Marvel movie that I've seen in some time. Spiderman Homecoming and Dr. Strange paled in comparison. Much, much better than CA Civil War was and AOU IMO. If this one let me down I was going to start getting down on the MCU. Luckily it lived up to the hype IMO which was great.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I saw it yesterday and I loved it. 9/10. I agree with above poster that it was better than Homecoming and Dr. Strange, which is understandable since it's the 3rd solo movie for the character. Really funny, unexpected humor and also unexpected plot developments like
Odin dying, Asgrad being destroyded by Surtur, Loki making an actual face turn. Btw, great work by Hiddlestone, expressing his suprise at Thor's love/admiration for him despite past history with mere facial expressions.
. Korg was hilarious, Goldblum being himself is funny as it is.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I just saw this movie. Thought it was great. Solid laughs all the way through.

If Korg isn't featured in many, many more movies after this they'll have missed a massive opportunity.
If Korg and Miek get a solo film like Feige has been hinting, it would be cool if they used it for the arrival of Beta Ray Bill.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

theotis77

Jul 25, 2005
I could swear that one of the giant busts on that tower, when they were carving the Hulk into it, was of Beta Ray Bill.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I could swear that one of the giant busts on that tower, when they were carving the Hulk into it, was of Beta Ray Bill.
Yep along with a few other tough ass Marvel characters. The tower confirmed a few characters being in the MCU somewhere. There is Man Thing, Ares (the Roman version of Thor in the comics I guess you could say), the Bi-Beast (dude with two faces on on top of the other), and some think another one of the faces is Fin Fang Foon.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Finally got around to seeing it. I thought it was really funny and really good.

PLEASE give us a Hulk movie! That one line where Hulk was hating Banner was awesome and Hulk actually has a lot of cool stories that would totally work for an independent movie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad