Thomas Vanek

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Minnesota has no reason to make that trade. They know they'll sign him anyway. Why trade someone to try to improve another team? Maybe if Montreal threw in a draft pick...

They would do the trade for sure...

Why would they want to take a chance and wait to sign him in July when they can do it before other teams can talk to him?

Also, they would help Moulson sign in the other conferance.

I see no reason for them NOT to make the trade if they don't want to keep Moulson.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I think there's almost a zero chance of him resigning here. Maybe he falls in love with Montreal, but why would he even consider dragging his family into Quebec?

According to Pierre McGuire it's the worst kept secret in the NHL that he's going to Minny. Played junior and college in the area and his wife is from there.

Just because he goes there in the summer doesn't mean he'll...

A-take a huge discount to go there

or

B-Minnesota will screw up their cap situation to add him.

It's a marriage that makes little sense for either party. Vanek can surely get a better deal somewhere else from a team with a better cap situation. Minnesota is finally getting free of the Heatley contract and has holes on defense and young players to sign in the next 2 off seasons. Unless they are dumping Parise, I don't see them investing 7.5-8.5 mil/year long term in a guy like Vanek.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

or

It's a marriage that makes little sense for either party. Vanek can surely get a better deal somewhere else from a team with a better cap situation. Minnesota is finally getting free of the Heatley contract and has holes on defense and young players to sign in the next 2 off seasons. Unless they are dumping Parise, I don't see them investing 7.5-8.5 mil/year long term in a guy like Vanek.

Minny have more cap space than us and nobody to re-sign like Subban/Markov.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Today is the first day he had a real practice with the team.

People are panicking to change lines, let's give these lines a chance to work.

I don't want to stick Vanek with Eller on the 3rd line for obvious reasons(ice time plus Eller is playing like crap).

I don't like Galchenyuk and Vanek with Plekanec, considering that line usually faces opposing top lines, Galchenyuk is not very good defensively.

having vanek and Pacioretty on the same line makes no sense, both are best on LW and both are shooters, not enough pucks to go around.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Minnesota has no reason to make that trade. They know they'll sign him anyway. Why trade someone to try to improve another team? Maybe if Montreal threw in a draft pick...

Since both are UFA's and lets say the Wild had no intention of re-signing Moulson what difference would it really make? If Moulson didn't re-sign with the Habs after having his rights swapped for Vanek's rights he's still gonna sign somewhere and improve another team regardless.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Minny have more cap space than us and nobody to re-sign like Subban/Markov.

They have 49 mil committed next year and the Habs 46 mil, both have 15 players signed.

Minny has to get guys like Gandlund, Coyle, Scandella, Zucker, Niederreiter Brodin and Fontaine all signed in 2014 or 2015. Plus they have pretty big holes on defense, makes little sense for them to spend 7.5-8 mil on another winger.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I hope we can re-sign this guy but what's the cost going to be? He's already turned down a ridiculous offer from the Isles. Not sure I want to be offering eight year deals to a guy who's 30 at 7 or 8 mil per.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
They have 49 mil committed next year and the Habs 46 mil, both have 15 players signed.

Minny has to get guys like Gandlund, Coyle, Scandella, Zucker, Niederreiter Brodin and Fontaine all signed in 2014 or 2015. Plus they have pretty big holes on defense, makes little sense for them to spend 7.5-8 mil on another winger.

Conveniently enough the cap is going to rise by 6-7 million every year going forward. 2015 contracts don't matter that much. Half of the guys you listed are barely NHLers/bottom 6 guys and all of them are likely going to get bridge deals. You don't turn down a Vanek caliber player for the sake of a guy like Niederreiter or Zucker or Coyle. He's instantly the most talented player on that team. Especially when you consider how all in they went on Parise/Suter. Vanek is in their core age group.

I'm fairly certain they bit on Moulson to test drive him knowing they're going nowhere in the playoffs with their goaltending situation. They know Vanek wants to be there and could afford to get both.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Conveniently enough the cap is going to rise by 6-7 million every year going forward. 2015 contracts don't matter that much. Half of the guys you listed are barely NHLers/bottom 6 guys and all of them are likely going to get bridge deals. You don't turn down a Vanek caliber player for the sake of a guy like Niederreiter or Zucker or Coyle. He's instantly the most talented player on that team. Especially when you consider how all in they went on Parise/Suter. Vanek is in their core age group.

I'm fairly certain they bit on Moulson to test drive him knowing they're going nowhere in the playoffs with their goaltending situation. They know Vanek wants to be there and could afford to get both.

You think the Wild are gonna sign both Moulson and Vanek? I think it will be one or the other but not both. Even though Vanek wants to sign there apparently maybe his contract demands will be too high for the Wild and they decide to try and re-sign Moulson who should come cheaper.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013

They had the deepest prospect pool a couple seasons ago, along with a nice core of veterans. They were in a similar position as the Blues were before they became contenders.

The Parise-Suter contracts were slightly over the top, but Suter is a very good defenseman and Parise is a great forward. They should have complemented those signings with the acquisition of value players like Regher, Leopold, Gilbert, Kennedy, etc. Instead, they sign Cooke to a ridiculous contract and give up 5 tangible assets (including picks in the deepest draft in a decade, a top goaltending prospect, and a great roleplayer prospect) for an ageing Pominville who is nothing more than a 2nd line winger at this point.

Now they give up two 2nd round picks for Moulson, who they probably won't sign. Odds are they sign Vanek to a 7 year $50m contract. That means about half their salary cap will be tied up in a handful of players over the age of 30.

They'll still have a very weak bottom6, very weak defense outside of Suter, Brodin, and Scandella, and no legitimate starting goaltender.

In other words, they had the chance to catch up to the Kings, Sharks, Blues, Hawks, but failed miserably and will continue to be a fringe playoff team.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

or

If his wife is pining to go home to Minny, its simple, Happy Wife, Happy Life, a million a year be damned.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I hope we can re-sign this guy but what's the cost going to be? He's already turned down a ridiculous offer from the Isles. Not sure I want to be offering eight year deals to a guy who's 30 at 7 or 8 mil per.

6-7 years at 7-8 mil, make it front loaded a bit, in case you have to trade him down the road. He turned down 7 years at 7 mil from NYI, but it's NYI!

HatTricK09

Jun 23, 2012
If his wife is pining to go home to Minny, its simple, Happy Wife, Happy Life, a million a year be damned.

We found the solution.
Find his wife, make his wife fall in love with Montreal

GET ON IT HABS FANS

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
I think MB took a gamble on Vanek for the playoffs and that's it.
Don't think he will be here next year.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Maybe after she lives 3 months in Montreal she changes her mind. I'm pretty sure she'll follow the millions unless she owns half the state of Minnesota.

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Maybe after she lives 3 months in Montreal she changes her mind. I'm pretty sure she'll follow the millions unless she owns half the state of Minnesota.

There is one month left to the calendar and most likely two weeks of playoffs.

They have three kids. If it's my wife, I tell her to stay behind until school is done.

She may never set foot in Montreal for all we know.

Analyzer*

They have three kids. If it's my wife, I tell her to stay behind until school is done.

I believe today in the interview after practice Vanek said his wife and kids are there with him right now.

That being said, I say if we can sign Vanek we jump forward from a team that will make the playoffs, to a team that will make the playoffs and be dangerous. He'd definitely help put us on the fast track to becoming contenders. Wouldn't get there with him now, or signed, but we'd be getting close.

SAKS AVENUE

Oct 12, 2008
I say he ****ing hates the Montreal media scrum already.

I have to agree. After practice today, he looked very disinterested and annoyed in the hoopla. I hope I'm wrong. His answers all began with " again ........ Bla bla bla, and again, bla bla bla" a very I could take it or leave it kind of attitude about being a hab.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
I have to agree. After practice today, he looked very disinterested and annoyed in the hoopla. I hope I'm wrong. His answers all began with " again ........ Bla bla bla, and again, bla bla bla" a very I could take it or leave it kind of attitude about being a hab.

Hey guys google some of Vaneks interviews.

habitue*

Their kids are very young. Dunno if ever one is going to schooll yet.

Yes, his wife is in Montreal with the three kids right now.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
People are panicking to change lines, let's give these lines a chance to work.

I don't want to stick Vanek with Eller on the 3rd line for obvious reasons(ice time plus Eller is playing like crap).

I don't like Galchenyuk and Vanek with Plekanec, considering that line usually faces opposing top lines, Galchenyuk is not very good defensively.

having vanek and Pacioretty on the same line makes no sense, both are best on LW and both are shooters, not enough pucks to go around.

huh... you want Vanek to play on the 4th or something ? :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad