Thomas Vanek

Darkstorm

I Am Awesome
Jul 30, 2012
Montreal
When I heard that MB traded for Vanek, I was happy and excited to see him play in his new team. We all know that he might just be a rental or MB will try and re-sign him. So the question is since Vanek is a free agent come July 1st, why doesn't MB signs him as of now and lock him down, I mean is he hesitating? Any thoughts?

Geecko

Aug 21, 2012
It isn't entirely up to MB whether Vanek, who has been with the day for just a few days, resigns or not. There have been rumors of him wanting to go to Minnesota to join his friends and wife.

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
When I heard that MB traded for Vanek, I was happy and excited to see him play in his new team. We all know that he might just be a rental or MB will try and re-sign him. So the question is since Vanek is a free agent come July 1st, why doesn't MB signs him as of now and lock him down, I mean is he hesitating? Any thoughts?

Vanek wants to test the market

MB wants to know how he fits with the team

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Other than Galcheynuk, there is no one skilled enough up front to compliment Vanek. Vanek will not become the second coming of Guy Lafleur playing with two third liners.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

He may not be good fit here. Been issues with Vanek before. This gives us opportunity for good read on him before offering big contract.

HeShootsHeScores

Mar 17, 2009
According to habsolumentfan, pominville wants to play in MTL next year and he'd try to convince Vanek to resign here. That would be part of MB's masterplan.

My opinion : That might explain the briere signing, former teammates.

Substract Gionta, replace with Pominville...I'd be okay with that.

Last edited by a moderator:

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
According to habsolumentfan, pominville wants to play in MTL next year and he'd try to convince Vanek to resign here. That would be part of MB's masterplan.

That might explain the briere signing, former teammates.

According to who?

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013

That might explain the briere signing, former teammates.

Did you see what the Wild gave up to acquire Pominville? I'd love him on our team but not willing to give up 4-5 assets like the Wild did to get him.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal

My opinion : That might explain the briere signing, former teammates.

Pominville just re-signed in Minny this year. Why the eff would he ask or want to be traded to Montreal after doing that...

HeShootsHeScores

Mar 17, 2009
Pominville just re-signed in Minny this year. Why the eff would he ask or want to be traded to Montreal after doing that...

Don't know, that Vanek trade was a bomb and Pominville just might get in the habs wagon as there is an opportunity for him to win the cup in the team he's always dreamed of playing for. We can dream. As I think of it, building through the draft also means having lots of picks to be able to trade them at the right time. We might just start to see what MB is capable of.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Vanek's connection to Wild exceed his strong relationship with Pominville, as he also played his junior in Minnesota.

IMO we shouldnt get our high hopes he's just a rental and he will sign with the Wild July 1st.

HeShootsHeScores

Mar 17, 2009
Of course the wild option seems more probable, but still, never hurts to hope. The Vanek trade was a good example. Nobody expected it, it was a joke just to think of the possibility.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
The OP is mixed up... MB jumped on the opportunity to get a good linemate for Gionta. Yes, I believe Vanek is going to help Gionta re-sign in Montreal.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

come on now, the guy has been a Habs for a whole 2 days...

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
From what I see in 1 game, Vanek hasn't shown alot. Needs time and if the money is here, then Vanek's agent will tell him to stay. Vanek doesn't want to single himself to let his agent do the talking.

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary
He'll go to July 1, but it's possible (however unlikely IMO) that he can re-sign after testing the market.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

Leaf fan coming in peace. It may not even be up to MB. He could've been traded 10 times for all he cared but Vanek from Day 1 of this season has shown no intention of re-signing with anyone until he at least tests free agency. Everyone knew it then and nothing has changed. I could be totally shocked..but I don't expect him to re-sign before the free agency period starts, but then you have all 30 teams after his services. He's probably going to get a 7X7 type of deal.

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB
Don't know, that Vanek trade was a bomb and Pominville just might get in the habs wagon as there is an opportunity for him to win the cup in the team he's always dreamed of playing for. We can dream. As I think of it, building through the draft also means having lots of picks to be able to trade them at the right time. We might just start to see what MB is capable of.

And that's just what it is - a dream. With Pominville resigned by Minnesota this makes absolutely no sense and has zero chance of happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad