Thomas Vanek

HabsRockBruinsChoke

Jul 30, 2013
Both Miller and Vanek wants to sign with Minnesota if I'm not mistaken...

Imagine that happening, the wild would have:

Parise - Desharnais - Vanek
Moulson - Granlund - Koivu
Heatley - Coyle - Neiderreiter
Haula - Brodziak - Cooke
McCormick

Suter - Spurgeon
Scandella - Brodin
Ballard - Stoner

Miller
Kuemper/Harding

woooooooooow (P.S., they get DD because it looks like they need some legit centers and we could use another pick in 2014 draft)

jlawrence

Jul 1, 2012
If I'm MB I do whatever I can to keep Vanek, I'm a huge Vanek fan and I think he offers something to the team that none of our forwards do. I realize he likely jumps ship but imagine Vanek and Chucky playing together

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Vanek's as good as gone already. Doubt he plays with any passion for the rest of the year after two games with Gionta.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

Haula - Brodziak - Cooke
McCormick

Suter - Spurgeon
Scandella - Brodin
Ballard - Stoner

Miller
Kuemper/Harding

woooooooooow (P.S., they get DD because it looks like they need some legit centers and we could use another pick in 2014 draft)

No team in the league would give up assets to make DD their 1st line center.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
The only way we have a chance to keep Vanek is;

1) We go deep in the playoffs. Eastern finals or Stanley Cup.
2) Moulson clicks so well with the Wild that they opt to give him a big contact instead.
3) Bergevin offers him significantly more money than anywhere else (and he may still decline).

We might need all three conditions to go right to sign him.

PricerStopDaPuck

Jun 30, 2012
The only way we get Vanek is if the Wild decide to resign Moulson instead. I have my doubts Vanek is going to come back, his wife is from Minny,he went to school there, he said to others he wants to go there.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
First step is for Vanek to start developing chemistry on the team. Next is to have a sensational playoff run. Hopefully, with success, adulation from the crowds, and with a personal affinity for Montreal in the Spring and early Summer, he will decide the Montreal is a very attractive place to live for a few years. That way we will be in the running with Minnesota, and if MTL offers an attractive contract, then we may have a good player re-sign with us. The rest is all speculation.

habitue*

The only way we get Vanek is if the Wild decide to resign Moulson instead. I have my doubts Vanek is going to come back, his wife is from Minny,he went to school there, he said to others he wants to go there.

Minny can short changed him then if he wants to go there so badly...

habitue*

He seems like a good player but not someone that's gonna dominate the play. So if he's on a ****** team, he's not gonna affect things much.

The guy can score, for sure. But he needs some good centers to set him up.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

Haula - Brodziak - Cooke
McCormick

Suter - Spurgeon
Scandella - Brodin
Ballard - Stoner

Miller
Kuemper/Harding

Where did Pominville go? And DD to them? :laugh: Also, Koivu is their #1 centre.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Vanek

Could be one of the best lines in the league in 2 years

Agreed.

But Therrien (if miraculously still here in two years) would never do something like that.

Can't believe Galchenyuk was taken off the Pleks line in favour of Gionta. Vanek was brought in because we need more scoring. Don't tell me that a Galchenyuk-Pleks-Vanek line wouldn't be more productive offensively than one with Gionta. Incompetent coaching at it's finest.

Guy Germaine

Jul 25, 2005
Montreal
I think there's almost a zero chance of him resigning here. Maybe he falls in love with Montreal, but why would he even consider dragging his family into Quebec?

According to Pierre McGuire it's the worst kept secret in the NHL that he's going to Minny. Played junior and college in the area and his wife is from there.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think there's almost a zero chance of him resigning here. Maybe he falls in love with Montreal, but why would he even consider dragging his family into Quebec?

According to Pierre McGuire it's the worst kept secret in the NHL that he's going to Minny. Played junior and college in the area and his wife is from there.

Our only hope is to move Vanek's rights to Minnesota for Moulson. We all know Vanek is going "home" to Minnesota, so we might as well make it happen quicker and give us a shot at replacing him.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Our only hope is to move Vanek's rights to Minnesota for Moulson. We all know Vanek is going "home" to Minnesota, so we might as well make it happen quicker and give us a shot at replacing him.

Minnesota has no reason to make that trade. They know they'll sign him anyway. Why trade someone to try to improve another team? Maybe if Montreal threw in a draft pick...

NHLcrazy

Feb 28, 2002
Montreal
We don't know what Vanek will do for us in the remaining game + playoffs. Maybe he will be good maybe he won't

But if you look at the situation objectively and with a clear mind you see that signing Vanek would not be the smartest move the Habs could make.

He's 30 yrs old not 25 anymore
His last 40+ goal season was 5 years ago
His best season since then was 73pts 3 years ago
He want 8+ million for 7-8 years.

So realistically we would pay 8+ M$ for, at best, a 30 goal - 60 pts winger that could be on the downhill of his career.

I don't like comparing players and different sports but you could "possibly" compare it to the Pujols signing but the Angels, they paid premium for what the guy did it the past and not for what we will do, he's been a disaster since the signing...

anyways he's going to Minny this summer IMO so...

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I was hoping this thread was about his lack of scoring, since arriving to Lord Therrien's School of Hockey.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
According to how dedicated to the game Vanek is. Islanders were worse after they acquired him.

That's not on Vanek. Isles were without Vishnosky and Nabakov for a long stretch. Our rookie goalies were not up to the task of carrying the team. Plus the defense was abysmal until they brought up deHaan and Strait came back from injury.

That being said, I think Vanek may be in for a surprise this offseason in terms of his value. His best offer may have been the one from the Isles.

I hope you guys sign him. Anyone but Minny. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad