Confirmed with Link: Thomas Greiss signs with Penguins (1 Year/$1 Million)

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Guys, let's face it...only the worst goaltenders in the league make huge mistakes like that.

I mean Roy has never made one terrible mistake that resulted in a bad goal ever in his career, same for Brodeur. Only the best in the league make the finals every year with vezina numbers in the playoffs like Lundqvist, Quick, Crawford, etc.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Pens need to sign Martin Brodeur to a multi-year deal.

He's a proven winner, now's our chance. Dump Fleury and Zats.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Doesn't he havea NMC or something like that? But I would definitely love to get Kuemper.

NMC (can't be placed on waivers) and Limit NTC (must provide list of 8 teams he would accept a trade to, if requested).

I believe the NMC also prevented them from executing a buyout if they wanted to, as a player has to pass through unconditional waivers before being bought out.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
NMC (can't be placed on waivers) and Limit NTC (must provide list of 8 teams he would accept a trade to, if requested).

I believe the NMC also prevented them from executing a buyout if they wanted to, as a player has to pass through unconditional waivers before being bought out.

Believe it or not, there would be a market for Fleury. We let our hate for him blind that fact, I wouldn't doubt it for a second that if even the haters that hate on the guy suddenly had their team trade for him, they'd pump his tires like he was god's gift to goaltending.

But I think the Pens are playing this smart, he's got 1yr left, he can prove that last year's turn around in the playoffs where he wasn't the Pens achilles heel was a sign of him being reliable again or he blows it, is replaced with Greiss in those games and the Pens wash their hands of him.

That's how I see it playing out, if those things happen.

It would have been stupid to buy him out, then think Greiss and Zatkoff can hold their own until next year. I mean, it's a difference of 500k between Hiller and MAF, in that situation, I would still rather keep Fleury for his final year.

I'm just tired of seeing the MAF hate, at this point, it's so annoying that if he went to the Flyers some how, I would hope he destroys us and this fan base by owning the team each time the Pens play the Flyers just to shut those people the **** up finally .

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007

NMC doesn't prevent a buyout. Just means the player has the option of choosing to avoid the waiver process which usually happens before a buyout. But the player can't prevent the buyout from happening.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
NMC doesn't prevent a buyout. Just means the player has the option of choosing to avoid the waiver process which usually happens before a buyout. But the player can't prevent the buyout from happening.

I am sure there are some examples of players with the same clause, that were bought out.

Bryz, Vinny, Richards, Briere to name a few. All opted for straight buyout without waivers.

Yeah, I guess I should've specified. It prevented anything but a mutual buyout where Fleury opts out of waivers. In other words, the ball is (and has been) completely in Fleury's court between the NMC and (not so) limited NTC.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Yeah, I guess I should've specified. It prevented anything but a mutual buyout where Fleury opts out of waivers. In other words, the ball is (and has been) completely in Fleury's court between the NMC and (not so) limited NTC.

No, the buyout didn't need to be mutual. Team can iniate a buyout of a player despite NMC. Then the player can either opt out of waivers and get bought out effective immediately, or he can choose go through normal process and first go through waivers. But the player cannot prevent the buyout from happening.

So no, the ball was never in Fleury's court. If Pens wanted to buy him out, they could have done so.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
thing is that if Fleury didn't have it as a blocked destination and more left on his contract (a huge # of if's there) we actually probably could package him for a deal for E. Kane.

That team desperately needs to just make the playoffs, and they need a workhorse dependable regular season goalie to help make that happen. That fan base would *love* to get Fleury as would managment I bet.

I do think we need to just stop with the Fleury hate though, he played well for us in the playoffs and was arguably our best/most consistent playoff performer. Also if he isn't being dealt this year JR is doing this the best way I think with a prove it year for him.

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
he was fine as a backup that didn't play much, but he isn't going to push Fleury for a starter spot. His advantage was being cheap, but there was no upside.

Fleury wasn't our problem in the post season last year. Can we do better in goal? Probably. But it won't happen until he's not a penguin anymore. The difference between Greiss and Zatkoff isn't that much imo. at least not at this point. Both are fine for a back up position.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I would take my chances with the Greaser. Use the money ($4M+) saved to make the rest of the team better. What exactly are we holding onto with Fleury at this point?

And if Greiss isn't up to the task of starting 65+ games? To put it into context, we're talking about a guy who has roughly as many NHL starts in his 8 North American seasons as Fleury gets each season. For as much as people gripe about Fleury, he's still proven to be an average (at least) starter carrying a 60+ game workload each season.

Now, I'm not saying they should re-sign Fleury today. But holding onto him through the last year of his contract, at this point, seems like a no brainer.

Last edited:

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I would take my chances with the Greaser. Use the money ($4M+) saved to make the rest of the team better. What exactly are we holding onto with Fleury at this point?

I almost want this to happen, just so people can see what it would be like having a journeyman career backup start 50+ games and have Zat get the rest of the games.

And the reason you hold onto MAF is because he has arguably the most athletic ability of any goalie in the league and has shown he can lead a team to a Cup. Also, one year under a good goalie coach did wonders for him, so that should continue. Not to mention that he won't be playing behind a DB run defense this year. And let's not forget that MAF went to **** coincidentally at the exact same time DB implemented his system.

That, plus there are no better options out there.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
And if Greiss isn't up to the task of starting 65+ games? To put it into context, we're talking about a guy who has roughly as many NHL starts in his 8 North American seasons as Fleury gets each season. For as much as people gripe about Fleury, he's still proven to be an average (at least) starter carrying a 60+ game workload each season.

Since when is number of (regular season) starts a determining factor? The last time Fleury had 65+ starts he finished with a .905 sv% and completely bombed the playoffs (the start of his 6-consecutive playoff series of sub .900 goaltending).

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I almost want this to happen, just so people can see what it would be like having a journeyman career backup start 50+ games and have Zat get the rest of the games.

And the reason you hold onto MAF is because he has arguably the most athletic ability of any goalie in the league and has shown he can lead a team to a Cup. Also, one year under a good goalie coach did wonders for him, so that should continue. Not to mention that he won't be playing behind a DB run defense this year. And let's not forget that MAF went to **** coincidentally at the exact same time DB implemented his system.

That, plus there are no better options out there.

Actually it was Fleury who completely bombed and Vokoun who excelled the last time that story played out. Athleticism didn't seem to play much of a factor there either.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
You can get league average goaltending (which is what weve been getting from Fleury at best) for much less. Spend that money on a player that helps us possess the puck.

If he has a good season, keep him. If hes on the bench in the postseason, bye.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012

Now, I'm not saying they should re-sign Fleury today. But holding onto him through the last year of his contract, at this point, seems like a no brainer.

I love all the "sky is gonna fall without MAF" people.

Newsflash: The sky has fallen 5 times with MAF. It is very unlikely to do much worse than MAF.

This is something that everyone should read; MAF vs his backups.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/fleury-barely-outplays-his-backups/

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
You can get league average goaltending (which is what weve been getting from Fleury at best) for much less. Spend that money on a player that helps us possess the puck.

I think that's what it comes down to for me. At this point, he's an average regular season goalie and at the very best a huge gamble in the playoffs. If he gets paid accordingly, fine. If he doesn't accept that, he can leave.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad