Confirmed with Link: Thomas Greiss signs with Penguins (1 Year/$1 Million)

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The last time he had legitimate competition in net, he lost his starting job. We'll see if history repeats itself.

Rico Fatastic

Jul 28, 2002
No. He was saying Fluery wasn't bad this year, and Crosby was hot garbage. Other then that we had our usual not being able to score thing.
No one said Fleury was bad this year. Nor has anyone been praising Crosby for his playoff performance. Other folks around here are much better at identifying logical fallacies than I am, but I believe red herring would be applicable in this case.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
I was thinking that they should have given him a multi-year deal because what happens if he excels and beats out Fleury? Then you have to give him a hefty raise to come back next year. Of course, he had to be willing to take said deal.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I was thinking that they should have given him a multi-year deal because what happens if he excels and beats out Fleury? Then you have to give him a hefty raise to come back next year. Of course, he had to be willing to take said deal.

If he beats out Fluery I wouldn't see him asking anything more then 3.5AAV x 2/3. Considering it would be based off one year.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
no way greiss gets more than fleury's current contract even if he dominates, he'd save us money

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Why would Greiss take a multiyear deal around 1million? If he beats out Fleury and wins the starting job, he just screwed himself out of a lot of money. If he doesn't, he gets less playing time than he wanted. 1 year deal was what he wanted to so he could prove himself and hopefully cash in later. And by cashing in, it will be somewhere in the 3-4 million range. Win win for him and the Pens if he proves to be a starting goalie.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Do you see Fleury starting less games this season? Fantasy League question.

Yes, but not less than Greiss. He'll still get at least 55 I'd say. Zatkoff wasn't trusted at all last season so Fleury got the max number of starts he could handle, while Greiss might actually push Fleury for the starter's job.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
The last time he had legitimate competition in net, he lost his starting job. We'll see if history repeats itself.

I like this signing just because there always seems to be a breakout goalie or two every year and I think Thomas Greiss could be one of those.

I agree. Greiss is the first serious candidate to supplant Fleury. He's one year younger than Fleury, and his development is on a good trajectory. Fleury, of course, is a UFA.

Appearances by the backup will carry much more weight this year than in recent years.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I agree. Greiss is the first serious candidate to supplant Fleury. He's one year younger than Fleury, and his development is on a good trajectory. Fleury, of course, is a UFA.

Appearances by the backup will carry much more weight this year than in recent years.

In looking ahead at next year's roster/cap space, it certainly seems that if Greiss plays well for us, he'll be extended during the latter part of the season and will be the de facto starting goalie for a few years at least. That really helps our cap situation during that time, assuming Greiss will take somewhere between 2-3m, and we let Fleury walk.

Is there anything Fleury can do prior to keep his job considering his record of regular season success and post season mediocrity? It's looking to me like the starter's job is there for Greiss to take if he plays well and the organization likes him.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I am starting to think that this regular season is all about Greiss, and if he plays well enough, Fleury is gone regardless of his performance.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I am starting to think that this regular season is all about Greiss, and if he plays well enough, Fleury is gone regardless of his performance.

I doubt it. I briefly looked at 2015 FA goalies and it's pretty weak, even more after the Anderson extension.

Actually after just looking at it Fluery is probably the best goalie there, right next to Niemi, pretty much looks like backups after them,

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC

What in the world lead you to that conclusion?

a01f74a338d7cc8d2eaeb00c15d21d82.500x469x1.jpg

Vokoun is done with hockey and Zatkoff was terri-bad, so the Pens went out and signed a backup who may have some prospective upside.

Can't see how that indicates that the Pens are done with after this year...

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
What in the world lead you to that conclusion?

Vokoun is done with hockey and Zatkoff was terri-bad, so the Pens went out and signed a backup who may have some prospective upside.

Can't see how that indicates that the Pens are done with after this year...

Every time Shero and Bylsma commented on how impressed they were with Zatkoff, I literally face palmed. I thought it might be lip service but then Shero gave him a one-way contract extension. How someone could have actually thought "yes, this is the inconsistent goalie I want backing up the other inconsistent goalie. Two inconsistents make a consistent one, right?" I do not understand.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I doubt it. I briefly looked at 2015 FA goalies and it's pretty weak, even more after the Anderson extension.

Actually after just looking at it Fluery is probably the best goalie there, right next to Niemi, pretty much looks like backups after them,

Thinking about the situation step-by-step, if Greiss plays as well this year as he did last (many say he outplayed Smith), then what does the JR do as the playoffs start to approach? Realistically, in part due to the lack of FA's next year, they have to extend somebody. Greiss would probably be thrilled with a 2.5m x 2 deal. Fleury, not so much.

That's why I suggest that if Greiss plays well this regular season, I can very easily see Fleury being the odd man out.

What I expect and hope to happen is exactly what happened in Carolina with Khudobin.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Every time Shero and Bylsma commented on how impressed they were with Zatkoff, I literally face palmed. I thought it might be lip service but then Shero gave him a one-way contract extension. How someone could have actually thought "yes, this is the inconsistent goalie I want backing up the other inconsistent goalie. Two inconsistents make a consistent one, right?" I do not understand.

Zatkoff was a pet project. Shero and Bylsma LOVED pet projects.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't know why people say Zatkoff was terrible, he was a perfectly serviceable back up in my opinion.

He was certainly better than Thiessen, but I never felt particularly comfortable with him in net. Of course, I've never felt that way with Fleury either so that doesn't mean much.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
our options will likely require us to go to a 1A/1B situation imo which zatkoff doesn't fit in

Yeah, I'm not saying he's a guy that's going to split starts or anything, just that he came in and did fine for the most part.

He could be inconsistent, but most backup goalies are, that's why they're not starters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad