Confirmed with Link: Thomas Greiss signs with Penguins (1 Year/$1 Million)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I am not sure if this thread is entirely germane to opening the Fleury can of worms again. But with that said, watching the Flyers struggle to find anything resembling a starting goalie of worth over longer than I can remember at least makes me cautious to those who say finding quality goalies, on the cheap no less, is easy. Add to it my belief that goalie is one part skill and one part system, and if you play a strong defensive system with strong defensive players, you can make a very average goalie look all world, and if you play the opposite you can make a good goalie look like a fool, then it complicates matters further.

I am not endorsing Fleury or anyone else. I am merely saying that like most things, things are not as simple as some try and make them, and with Fleury the question has always been for quite a few of us who mistakenly are called Fleury 'defenders' or 'apologists' at times. OK, we agree, he has looked average or worse at times. But once he is gone, then what? Seeing struggles others have had finding quality at the position I am at least rational enough to worry about that question.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I think that's what it comes down to for me. At this point, he's an average regular season goalie and at the very best a huge gamble in the playoffs. If he gets paid accordingly, fine. If he doesn't accept that, he can leave.

In other words, MAF should take backup money or take a hike, unless he has a dominant playoffs for us this year. I know that's not exactly what you were saying, but that's how it is. Hopefully management sees it like that as well.

On topic, I think Thomas "Young Greezy" Greiss is going to be solid for us. Perhaps not quite the savior we need back there, but someone who just may be able to pull a Vokoun, if Fleury should pull a Fleury on us again.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
In other words, MAF should take backup money or take a hike, unless he has a dominant playoffs for us this year. I know that's not exactly what you were saying, but that's how it is. Hopefully management sees it like that as well.

On topic, I think Thomas "Young Greezy" Greiss is going to be solid for us. Perhaps not quite the savior we need back there, but someone who just may be able to pull a Vokoun, if Fleury should pull a Fleury on us again.

I think that's exactly why he was signed. He could do it in the playoffs. Not for sure. Not even more likely than not. But, possibly, and I don't think one could say that with the same level of certainty about Zatkoff.

I honestly think the other angle is that, if Fleury does implode and allowed to walk and if Greiss looks good, then he might become the stop gap until Jarry is ready (maybe we sign another guy of Greiss' ilk as competition), and the extra cap space goes to other positions.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I am not sure if this thread is entirely germane to opening the Fleury can of worms again. But with that said, watching the Flyers struggle to find anything resembling a starting goalie of worth over longer than I can remember at least makes me cautious to those who say finding quality goalies, on the cheap no less, is easy. Add to it my belief that goalie is one part skill and one part system, and if you play a strong defensive system with strong defensive players, you can make a very average goalie look all world, and if you play the opposite you can make a good goalie look like a fool, then it complicates matters further.

I am not endorsing Fleury or anyone else. I am merely saying that like most things, things are not as simple as some try and make them, and with Fleury the question has always been for quite a few of us who mistakenly are called Fleury 'defenders' or 'apologists' at times. OK, we agree, he has looked average or worse at times. But once he is gone, then what? Seeing struggles others have had finding quality at the position I am at least rational enough to worry about that question.

Once he is gone, we party?:handclap:

We either have better than average goaltending
or
Spend less to have equal goaltending

If you want to find (or know) who are the best up and coming goalies, just look at this list:

Martin Jones
Cam Talbot
Khudobin
Stalock
Bishop
Bernier

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...0&teamid=0&type=shots&sort=ShPctA&sortdir=ASC
5v5 SV% is everything you need to make a decently informed decision on goaltending. Sure there are other things to look at, but this is the elephant in the room that you can't ignore.

I would be super comfortable with any one of those guys starting in net and ALSO giving up the small assets and money required to bring one here. Most of those guys make peanuts compared to the value they bring a team.

Griesser is going to be great for us, and bad for MAF :).

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
the penguins continued allegiance to fleury is almost as baffling as their loyalty to bylsma was. this organization clearly has a problem with sticking with nice, friendly guys long past their expiration date. fleury is another example of that.

the sooner fleury is out of this organization the better.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Once he is gone, we party?:handclap:

We either have better than average goaltending
or
Spend less to have equal goaltending

If you want to find (or know) who are the best up and coming goalies, just look at this list:

Martin Jones
Cam Talbot
Khudobin
Stalock
Bishop
Bernier

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...0&teamid=0&type=shots&sort=ShPctA&sortdir=ASC
5v5 SV% is everything you need to make a decently informed decision on goaltending. Sure there are other things to look at, but this is the elephant in the room that you can't ignore.

I would be super comfortable with any one of those guys starting in net and ALSO giving up the small assets and money required to bring one here. Most of those guys make peanuts compared to the value they bring a team.

Griesser is going to be great for us, and bad for MAF :).

Of the guys you listed, two of them are the current starters for their teams (Bishop, Bernier) and two of them are seen as the future starters and likely get the nod over the veteran goalies on their teams or at least play in a tandem (Khudobin, Stalock). Pens are either not going to be able to get them or will have to trade serious assets to get them.

Martin Jones is an RFA. I don't know why LA would trade a cost-controlled back-up goalie who is working out for them. In addition, I would be wary of back-ups coming out of a system like the Kings (or Boston or NJ)

Cam Talbot has only played 23 NHL games, and he is not a "young" goalie - he'll be 28 at the start of next season. Goalies generally don't improve as they age (Source). It is also likely that he played easier competition.

Goalie sv% is extremely random and inconsistent. It is a horrible way to predict future outcomes for goalies particularly back-ups who are young and/or who have small sample sizes.

Did you do any research about these goalies?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
the penguins continued allegiance to fleury is almost as baffling as their loyalty to bylsma was. this organization clearly has a problem with sticking with nice, friendly guys long past their expiration date. fleury is another example of that.

What allegiance? Did I miss his contract extension? C'mon, there was no verifiable upgrade out there. They said put up or shut up, and then we can talk contract. They signed a guy who has the ability to be Vokoun if Fleury ***** the bed. What did you expect, Fitzie to through Fleury under the bus NOW, right before the season? Really, I get where you sit on Mario and by extension the organization-- and I most assuredly have been one of the people here who harbors a lot of your doubts-- but this 'allegiance to Fleury' schtick because of what Fitzie said is poppycock.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

there was no available upgrade when the new group took over this year.

No he didn't. wgknestrick makes all decisions based on advanced stats websites.

I'm not convinced he's ever actually watched a hockey game. I think he just watches live updates of the stats.

Z7liChO.jpg

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad