THN Releases Top-50 Players List

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I enjoy how non-Leaf fans automatically have issues with any player from the team on any list.

You enjoy anything that has to do with someone disrespecting Toronto as youve literally posted at least fifty times about people claiming there rebuild was so far back and still have an axe to grind to this day in every thread where someone says one bad thing about Toronto.

Like I said before, if Eichel and Laine are switched this list makes a little more sense. With the quality of players and lines/D PAIRINGS he has faced in the two years he has been in the league it's shocking Laine hasn't done better. I mean Marners assist totals just last year is only 7 back of Laines CAREER totals.

I know it’s pretty abysmal, especially when I hear Laine is a great playmaker and one guy said an elite playmaker. 26 assists in 82 games with some of the most talented teammates any other player in the league gets to be with. If he can only put up 26 assists with them, just imagine how many assists he’d have in Eichels spot with Zemgus and Jason? 15? If that? Lol. But that’s right Laine is known more for his goals. Even where he managed just one or two more even strength goals then Eichel in 16 MORE games with elite playmakers as said compared to a 31st ranked offense.

See I wouldn’t keep saying all this 31st ranked offense stuff if the situations weren’t night and day. One guys on literally the lowest scoring teams that didn’t even hit 200 goals, the other guys almost hit 300, weren’t they second in goals or was it first? It’s just ridiculous that Laine even won a s poll against Eichel in March, albeit close.

Marner is underrated.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I enjoy how non-Leaf fans automatically have issues with any player from the team on any list.

If it was an anti-Leaf bias I had, why have I not commented on Matthews' ranking? Or Marner's?

It's Tavares' unearned ranking that I'm taking issue with, because he's done absolutely nothing to deserve being ranked ahead of Malkin (the only thing of note that he's done between last year's ranking and this year's is sign with the Leafs).

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
If it was an anti-Leaf bias I had, why have I not commented on Matthews' ranking? Or Marner's?

It's Tavares' unearned ranking that I'm taking issue with, because he's done absolutely nothing to deserve being ranked ahead of Malkin (the only thing of note that he's done between last year's ranking and this year's is sign with the Leafs).
He went from getting 66 points to 85. He also played the toughest min on an awefull team.

The Big M

Dec 29, 2017
Scheifele over Kopitar and Malkin

Buffy over Doughty and Burns.

Laine over Eichel, Giroux, Kane, Panarin etc..

Hellebyuck the 22nd best player in the league?!

I have zero doubt whatsoever it was a Jets fan who made this list.
Okay so stop picking on our Jets.
I think the list rightly rewards the players for a great season in helping the team reach the semi-finals.
Scheifele scored 14 goals in the playoffs just 5 shy of the record.
Laine is the third highest goal scorer as a teenager in NHL history.
Finally Hellebyuck had 44 wins this past season.....the highest ever by an American. He also received third place in the Vezina voting.....including a few first place votes.
So...l believe they deserve to be where they are on this list!

Reactions: Viktor Vaughn

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He went from getting 66 points to 85. He also played the toughest min on an awefull team.

What did he do compared to Malkin to justify overtaking him? Malkin was ranked, I believe, 7th or 8th the prior year, and improved from 72 points to 98 points, yet dropped below a guy who had a whopping 84 points and went up from 17th the prior year.

There is zero justification for Tavares to finish ahead of Malkin. Zero.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
What did he do compared to Malkin to justify overtaking him? Malkin was ranked, I believe, 7th or 8th the prior year, and improved from 72 points to 98 points, yet dropped below a guy who had a whopping 84 points and went up from 17th the prior year.

If you want to argue Malkin dropping on the list I can back you up. But why you single out Tavaras as the guy you have issue with is Malkin dropping below is curious. Taveras spot is deserved and Malkin is to low.

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
I don't think Suter, Pietrangelo, or Getzlaf are all that hilarious omissions at this point in their careers. I'm a Leaf fan, but Marner over Giordano, Stone, Backstrom, and while I'm not his biggest fan, Draisaitl is just egregious. Also nuts to have William Karlsson, Sean Monahan, John Carlson, and Marc-Andre Fleury all on there. As always, I think Bergeron and Karlsson are too low, and Couturier is absurdly too low. Flyers fans seem to get mad when I say this, but Couturier is by a mile the best player on that team, and they're a pretty damn good team with a few players who I'd call elite.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If you want to argue Malkin dropping on the list I can back you up. But why you single out Tavaras as the guy you have issue with is Malkin dropodro below is curious. Taveras spot is deserved and Malkin is to low.

I already explained why I "singled out" Tavares. Because I scanned down to see how underrated Malkin was going to be and saw who was directly ahead of him. And then when I asked "what has Tavares done to justify that ranking (ahead of Malkin)" you responded with him improving his point totals, suggesting you think him being ahead of Malkin has justification.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Worst list I've seen my whole life since toews top 100 player of all time.

Kopitar too low, Bergeron higher than Kopitar?? The f***. Doughty at 30?

These people deserve to be fired and possibly executed.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
I already explained why I "singled out" Tavares. Because I scanned down to see how underrated Malkin was going to be and saw who was directly ahead of him. And then when I asked "what has Tavares done to justify that ranking (ahead of Malkin)" you responded with him improving his point totals, suggesting you think him being ahead of Malkin has justification.
I suggested that Tavaras's improved point total while playing the toughest min on a bad team had a lot to do with him improving in his standings and Nothing To do with him signing with the Leafs as YOU suggested.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
So after reading the entire thread the Overall Consensus seems to be according to HF:

1) The biggest omissions : Getzlaf, Backstrom, Draisaitl, Petriangelo, Suter, Stone , and possibly Toews (I didn’t see anyone say it but Brock Boeser should top 50 probably if he didn’t get hurt)

Then I will add these potential guys: tried some from most teams and not all of them should be on here I’m just naming guys there could be a case for to get in the 50-45 range or ahead of a couple of the bad picks in here. Most of the names are pretty good just not in good order. In saying that,

Other then the names mentioned above It’s strange that one of these guys couldn’t crack the list...

Rakell
Aho
Voracek (seriously, what?)
Provorov
Brayden Point
Klingberg
Barrie

And then the ones who potentially could have a case but maybe not....who aren’t already listed above:

Schenn-Schwartz-ROR-Parayko
Ghost
Arvidsson-Johansen-Ellis-Rinne
Werenski
Voracek
Hamilton-Slavin-Teraveinen
Giordano-Hanifin-Neal-Smith
Braun-Vlasic
E. Staal-Granlund-Spurgeon-Zucker
Holtby-Oshie-Niskanen
Hischier,Vatanen
Fowler, Montour, Lindholm
Shattenkirk-Skej-Zuccarello-Kreider
Leddy-Lee-Bailey-Eberle
McAvoy-Krug-Krejci
Landeskog-Barrie
Nylander-Reilly-Andersen
Weber
Keller-OEL
Radulov
Green
Larson-RNH
Reinhart-Risto-Skinner
marchessault-smith-stastny
Muzzin-carter
Trocheck-Huberdeau-Dadonov-Ekblad-Luongo
Ehlers-Trouba-Connor
Debrincat-Keith (not what he was but outside 50 isn’t a stretch, again considering what he was not long ago)

2) this list was made by a person who is extremely fond of the jets putting hellz so high Byfuglien on the list let alone in the top thirty and over Doughty. Laine 20 spots above Eichel, better then Barkov, etc. Scheifele ahead of Makkin and Kopitar. All of these provide reason to think jets bias not too mention the fact Getzlaf the captain of the team who eliminated the jets, as ive mentioned and who swept them in one of there only playoff runs was left off and he doesent have a reason to be left off a top 30 let alone 50.

3) people call Tavares overrated and underrated, so I think the consensus is he’s rated just fine? Same with Matthews maybe he’s just rated fine?

4) The list takes recent bias to a whole new level with Mackinnon and his one great year with other mediocre ones (for a number one pick) gets higher then future hall of fame, trophy winners with elite pt totals year after year. So if this is the case why is Giroux so low? And why is price on the list with his 900. save percentage ahead of W, Karlsson no less (since were talking recency boss) as well as Barzal, Eichel and others....

5) Every ranking list will be subject to criticism on here but it makes you wonder how some of these guys get payed for such atrocity.

Sounds close to consensus anyhow...

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
This ranking are they predicting the top 50 players for this coming season?

Or are they ranking the players on the previous season?

Both?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I suggested that Tavaras's improved point total while playing the toughest min on a bad team had a lot to do with him improving in his standings and Nothing To do with him signing with the Leafs as YOU suggested.

But my question was ultimately "what justification is there for him being ahead of Malkin?". You yourself even said Malkin should be higher, so even you don't believe there is justification for him being ahead of Malkin.

It almost seems like you're defending Tavares for the sake of defending a Leaf rather than actually defending his ranking ahead of Malkin.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
But my question was ultimately "what justification is there for him being ahead of Malkin?". You yourself even said Malkin should be higher, so even you don't believe there is justification for him being ahead of Malkin.

It almost seems like you're defending Tavares for the sake of defending a Leaf rather than actually defending his ranking ahead of Malkin.
To me Malkin has no barring on this discussion. I've already stated that he deserves to be higher so if that means he's above Tavaras then so be it.
My issue with you statement is that you implied that the only reason Tavaras rose inithe standings is because he signed with the Leafs, and I just pointed out to you what a silly statement that was. It's actually statements like that, that make people think you're just a leaf basher.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Well he did only score 14 goals and 52 points in a full 82 game season just the year before last.

So every single season is a bit of a stretch. If he has another season close to what he just had I’d say he will go to ten to fifteen next year.
Even with that season he's scored more than any player this decade. He's a top 10 player in the world

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Nice to see 5 Jets recognized as the top 31 players in the NHL. This confirms no team touches the Jets when it comes to high end talent. No other team had anywhere close to that number of players in the top-30.

It's quite clear that The Hockey News is factoring in playoff performance to the rankings. That is why you see the likes of Schiefele and Buff beating out the likes of Doughty and Kopitar. The latter laid an egg in the first round, not even winning one game, while the former performed heroically in the first 2 rounds of playoffs in the toughest conference in the NHL before succumbing to exhaustion in round 3 against the Golden Horse shoes.

Reactions: Mony Vibescu

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
The order is a tad wonky in spots but overall really not a bad list as far as the players on it

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
The three best players in the NHL are Mcdavid Crosby and Malkin in whichever order you decide to put them. There's no debating this.
Disagree. While I have Malkin 3rd, the only clear cut are the top 2 with mcjesus and Crosby.

I have Malkin 3rd but extremely close with Giroux and Kucherov. At his best, Malkin is easily the best of the 3 but he's too inconsistent and at times lazy for me to put him in a "big 3"

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
Nice to see 5 Jets recognized as the top 31 players in the NHL. This confirms no team touches the Jets when it comes to high end talent. No other team had anywhere close to that number of players in the top-30.

It's quite clear that The Hockey News is factoring in playoff performance to the rankings. That is why you see the likes of Schiefele and Buff beating out the likes of Doughty and Kopitar. The latter laid an egg in the first round, not even winning one game, while the former performed heroically in the first 2 rounds of playoffs in the toughest conference in the NHL before succumbing to exhaustion in round 3 against the Golden Horse shoes.

I think the amount of Jets on the list proves more about the writer's favourite team than it does the quality of Winnipeg's team.

Reactions: dukeofjive

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

Why is Tavares the one guy you singkle out? At least he got 18 points more than the previous season. Interesting how he is the one guy you have an issue with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad