Rumor: THN: Possible Kris Russell Destinations: Calgary or New Jersey

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
He's going to be exposed here where we can't help insulate him the way a strong defense like Calgary would.

Russell played some of his best hockey when Giordano went down with injury last season, given the right partner and system, he's a damn good D-man, in Hartley's "non-system" he was more than serviceable.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Russell does everything fairly well - pretty good IQ, skates well with the puck, moves it well, fearless shot-blocker and he has a surprising amount of grit in his game.

The only knock on him is his inability to contain large forwards along the boards. That is my single reservation with him - and I think it is an important one.

Now, put him on a team with an oversized blueline, and he will compliment that team exceedingly well I think. I just don't see a fit for him in Calgary. Engelland is the only physical defencemen on the Flames (and I actually expect him to be re-upped sometime this season), with Smid possibly never playing again. Then you look at the western conference, and you see a number of teams that have quite large and physically imposing forwards - even Edmonton got a lot bigger.

On a team with some larger top 4 D - I would have no issues with rolling out Russell as a top 4 D.

On a team without size and grit in their top 4 - I think Russell needs to be sheltered a bit and belongs on the third pairing.

In Calgary's case, Engelland is a 'must' (imo) to play as he is decent defensively and offers quite a bit of grit. Wideman (or Jokipakka - depending on who lines up with Hamilton this year) gets the spot next to Engelland. You then have cheap options with Wotherspoon and Kulak coming up - and depending on who you are reading and listening to - Kylington may get a good look up on the big club as well (wouldn't surprise me if he gets some games in, but would surprise me if it was a really long look).

Signing Russell at anything over 2.5 for a third pairing isn't the best use of cap space. For that reason, I wish the Flames don't sign him, though I like him as a player. Different story if the Flames had a more physical top 4, then he wouldn't need sheltering (imo, again).

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Nice to see the advanced stats people are out in full force early this year. :shakehead

For those who don't want Russell on their team all I have to say is you must have a very good defense.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
The NJ part seems like nothing more than a writer's opinion.

That's exactly it. The title of this thread is very misleading.

The article states he's been in touch with 8 teams and prefers to stay out west. The writer just made an observation that maybe NJ would be a fit - probably a few teams he'd be looking at before NJ.

Either way, it's certainly not between Calgary and NJ as the title suggests.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
That's exactly it. The title of this thread is very misleading.

The article states he's been in touch with 8 teams and prefers to stay out west. The writer just made an observation that maybe NJ would be a fit - probably a few teams he'd be looking at before NJ.

Either way, it's certainly not between Calgary and NJ as the title suggests.

How necessary was that?

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Possibly but he is not significantly better than Lovejoy or Moore. I'm not convinced he is a better option than Lovejoy. Russel is a bottom pairing Dman. We have more than enough of those.

He's not bottom pairing he's top four. I'd say he's better than Lovejoy and having Lovejoy on the third pairing would be great. Our depth would improve greatly. if you get him short term you take it in a heart beat and that's what we should be doing. Play Russell with a big guy like santini, they would complement each other well. I'd also want Russell to chill on the shot blocking at least until the playoff push or the playoffs if we make it.

Last edited:

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010
I'd rather give one of our young guys a shot than bring back Russel. I feel like in the past seasons the blue line was all vets.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
They overplayed him as well. He was getting like 25 minutes a night.

Don't see what they expected.

Yeah he should never be getting more than 20 mins at most I'll give you that. Idk if there were injuries that forced them to do that, but 25 mins is insane. They put him in a situation where he couldn't succeed

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary

Yeah he should never be getting more than 20 mins at most I'll give you that. Idk if there were injuries that forced them to do that, but 25 mins is insane. They put him in a situation where he couldn't succeed

We had 3 defensemen injuries during that time. Klingberg, Demers and Jordie Benn. So, wasn't much of a choice.

I'd have no problem signing Russell to play again on Dallas, but I think we have better options with our younger D

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
We had 3 defensemen injuries during that time. Klingberg, Demers and Jordie Benn. So, wasn't much of a choice.

I'd have no problem signing Russell to play again on Dallas, but I think we have better options with our younger D

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
I don't think he was taking a shot at New Jersey. I think he just meant that with him wanting to stay out West, he'd probably have interest in a lot of teams ahead of the Devils.

Some Devils fans can be touchy and considering the way the organization is treated on this site. Can you really blame us lol?

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
I'd love to grab him for the sens' bottom pair. I'd throw him a 2 year deal with a 2-3 million average. When methot goes to the expansion draft, russel would he a decent stopgap top 4 guy. Hopefully we'd use that time to find someone a little better though.

Who knows, maybe las vegas will take a liking to russel over methot? It would be an unreal signing for that possibility alone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad