Rumor: THN: Possible Kris Russell Destinations: Calgary or New Jersey

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I would definitely prefer to give him a richer one-year deal than blink on term.

1x$4M instead of 2x$6M, for example.

We absolutely have the cap leeway to do that, and we avoid long-term implications.

Probably be 1 x 4.5M or 2 x 3.5M

But ya, he'd probably be okay with that. I think he wishes his time in Dallas went better so a one year deal might benefit him.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Please no. The guy isn't very good at ice hockey. I wouldn't mind him for one year until NJ can find a LD, but anything multi year would suck

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I'd gladly throw Russell a one year contract and even over pay slightly its one year, and we have more than enough cap space. The guy must want to many years and too much money but I'd bet he sign if you over paid on a one year deal.

Greene-Severson
Russell-Santini
Merrill-Lovejoy
Extra: Moore

Not the best but not bad by any means. Especially with the improved forwards.

Not bad
But I would swap Moore and merrill
Merrill won't be ready for camp and will need to knock the rust off

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Wouldn't count the Panthers out of the running to sign Kris Russell.

If Florida signs Kris Russell.
Michael Matheson should end up back in the AHL with Springfield this season for more development time and Kris Russell would be a better option as a 6th defensemen over Jakub Kindl or (Adam Pardy PTO)

If Florida could get Russell on a cheap 1 year contract it would go along way to solidifying Florida's defense as Russell is a good shot blocker and is still a decent puck mover.

New Jersey would also be a good option for Russell as New Jersey is kinda thin at the defensive position at this time. Russell also kinda reminds me of another former Devil and Flame D Tommy Albelin.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I liked Russell, and his best hockey was in Calgary, but how is he linked with us? We have to sign our star player, and already have Engelland, Smid and Wideman clogging up the d in spots where ideally Russell would fit.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'd be fine with Russ back in Calgary on the short and cheap.

Rather have him all day over Engels or the Widedog.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I liked Russell, and his best hockey was in Calgary, but how is he linked with us? We have to sign our star player, and already have Engelland, Smid and Wideman clogging up the d in spots where ideally Russell would fit.

I'm thinking one of two possibilities.

1. Smid is basically done.
2. Wideman will be bought out? Or has that window closed?

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I'm thinking one of two possibilities.

1. Smid is basically done.
2. Wideman will be bought out? Or has that window closed?

Smid will probably go on injured reserve. Buyout period is done.

Currently we have (in no order)

Gio
Brodie
Hamilton
Joki
Wideman
Engelland
Kulak
Wotherspoon

And I think I'm forgetting someone. But all looking for roster spots.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Please no. The guy isn't very good at ice hockey. I wouldn't mind him for one year until NJ can find a LD, but anything multi year would suck

This is not true at all. He's a solid defensman who's one of the best shot blockers in the league. He can put up 25 to 30 points year. The only reason he hasnt been signed is his small size and his style of play. If he was 2 inches taller and 15 pounds heavier and the exact same player he would of signed a 4 year 4 million dollar contract the first day of free agency. If he signed with us he'd be our third best defensman after Greene and Severson easily.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
From Larsson to Russell. Yikes.

We're the Devils we could take six no name defensman and be top 5 in goals agaisnt. But seriously its not Larsson to Russell. Severson is taking larssons spot. Lovejoy is taking seversons. And santini is more than ready to be an nhl player, but please continue to comment on a team you know nothng about. Plus we still have Andy Greene. So don't you worry about us.

Last edited:

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Not bad
But I would swap Moore and merrill
Merrill won't be ready for camp and will need to knock the rust off

Yeah but I'm talking about when everyone is healthy. Merrills better he actually has hockey sense and doesn't handle the puck like its a grenade. Plus he has room to grow as a player. Moore is what he is.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I don't get this. He'd be our third best defensman after Greene and Severson. Maybe tied with Lovejoy.

Possibly but he is not significantly better than Lovejoy or Moore. I'm not convinced he is a better option than Lovejoy. Russel is a bottom pairing Dman. We have more than enough of those.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Possibly but he is not significantly better than Lovejoy or Moore. I'm not convinced he is a better option than Lovejoy. Russel is a bottom pairing Dman. We have more than enough of those.

Don't kid yourself. Russell is a #4 guy. If the flames can ship out some salary I'd take him back in a heartbeat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad