Rumor: THN: Possible Kris Russell Destinations: Calgary or New Jersey

ForSpareParts*

http://www.thehockeynews.com/rumors/article/rumor-roundup-updates-on-russell-tanguay-and-versteeg

"Friedman wouldn't be surprised if Russell wanted to return to the Flames. Unless they can clear some salary-cap space, however, he doesn't see him as a fit on the Flames' crowded blueline.

If Russell can't find any suitors in the Western Conference, he'll have no choice but to sign with an Eastern Conference club. The New Jersey Devils could be an Eastern club seeking someone with his experience and defensive skills."

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I wouldn't mind him on a one or two year deal. He has some flaws, but he's still a good PP/PK guy. Having him as the #5 would be nice.

Sgt Brylin

Trade is one for one
Dec 28, 2012
He's not getting more than 2/3 @ 2.5 max in NJ, and I don't see him taking that unless he's desperate the day before camps begin.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
I'd sign him as a Devils fan but with his style of play I would not give him a long term deal. 2 years 6 million at most.

Last edited:

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
If he re-signs in Calgary that'd be top notch asset management. Could explain the delay. Might not want to make it seem shady and waiting for the Gaudreau contract. He's a very solid #4-6 d-man.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Only way I'd bring in Russell is on a PTO or a one-year deal. Schlemko/Stempniak style.

Shero has been adamant about avoiding multi-year deals that could block our own guys down the road.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Unless Smid goes on LTIR Flames have no cap-space after signing Gaudreau

Nakladal is Calgary's better option. He will come cheaper and his possession numbers were way better. Russell will end up in Buffalo, NJ, Minnesota, or Vancouver. Buffalo is most likely on a 2-3 year deal.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
Well he's a lefty so he would knock either Moore or Merrill out. Not sure who I'd prefer. Aside from White, we have no lefty D prospects so I guess I'd be fine with a 2-3 yr deal.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Would love him in Ottawa on the 3rd pair. Can step in as a #4 if an injury occurs, unlike our current #5 and #6

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
He's not getting more than 2/3 @ 2.5 max in NJ, and I don't see him taking that unless he's desperate the day before camps begin.

I don't see him taking any term unless he's getting some half decent coin.

What I think is very likely to happen, is that he'll sign a 1 yr deal somewhere, and then hope to do well next season and get a decent contract from someone who lost someone in the expansion draft.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
He said the same thing when he was with the Pens and did the exact opposite. good luck.

Entirely different scenarios.

If he were of the same mindset, Schlemko and Stempniak would still be Devils. They both expressed interest in returning, but I'm sure the extra year (or, in Schlemko's case, years) deterred Ray.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Entirely different scenarios.

If he were of the same mindset, Schlemko and Stempniak would still be Devils. They both expressed interest in returning, but I'm sure the extra year (or, in Schlemko's case, years) deterred Ray.

I wouldn't worry. I don't see Shero offering more than one year and I also agree with the other posters that it's the writer's opinion, not an actual rumor.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
"If Russel can't find a suitor in the western conference he'll have no choice but to sign with a eastern conference team"

...no **** Sherlock holmes

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
I'd gladly throw Russell a one year contract and even over pay slightly its one year, and we have more than enough cap space. The guy must want to many years and too much money but I'd bet he sign if you over paid on a one year deal.

Greene-Severson
Russell-Santini
Merrill-Lovejoy
Extra: Moore

Not the best but not bad by any means. Especially with the improved forwards.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
If he re-signs in Calgary that'd be top notch asset management. Could explain the delay. Might not want to make it seem shady and waiting for the Gaudreau contract. He's a very solid #4-6 d-man.

Haha, no he's not.

I just hope he doesn't end up in Toronto.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
If we can get rid of Wideman or Engelland I would love to have him back in Calgary.

If we could get rid of both. Nakladal and Russell would be a gigantic upgrade on our bottom pairing.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I'd gladly throw Russell a one year contract and even over pay slightly its one year, and we have more than enough cap space. The guy must want to many years and too much money but I'd bet he sign if you over paid on a one year deal.

Greene-Severson
Russell-Santini
Merrill-Lovejoy
Extra: Moore

Not the best but not bad by any means. Especially with the improved forwards.

I would definitely prefer to give him a richer one-year deal than blink on term.

1x$4M instead of 2x$6M, for example.

We absolutely have the cap leeway to do that, and we avoid long-term implications.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad