News Article: This year’s Game 7 was Mike Babcock’s Tipping Point

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
One of the main reasons at least to me as to why a lot of top teams are out in the first round is due to 3 in 3 overtime and shootout.
That’s inflated the points total for teams heavily rely on skills. As there is no 3 on 3 and shootout in the playoffs. If you take away the extra point from winning 3 on 3 and shootout, it should be a much clearer picture as to which is a better team.

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
Seriously, I can't believe that there are still people that defend Babcock. His time is up.

Sadly, I don't think he's getting fired this offseason so we have to go through one more year of heartbreak before this team will fly. Whatever, I've tolerated the past 2 years, I can take one more year of heartbreak.

All the best to you because i can't anymore. I'm done until they fire this moron.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
All the best to you because i can't anymore. I'm done until they fire this moron.

I am not going to watch a lot of the regular season unless Rasmus Sandin and Liljegren are both on the team.

All that matters is the playoffs. It's do or die for Babcock and I'll be happy either way.

Reactions: thunder16

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Going into game #7 it was 3 wins Leafs and 3 wins Boston.

Very few would abandon a strategy that already successfully worked 3 times to try and win the 4th time.

Leafs high powered offense only scored 5 goals total in the last 3 games (5, 6 & 7) of the series combined. [1.66 Goals/game on average].

Boston won showing its defense that wins, by shutting down Leafs high-octane offense.. Ditto for why TB, Pitts, Wash, Calgary and Winnipeg are also done for the season.

All the highest scoring teams are golfing and the best defensive teams are still playing.
How did Wash and Pitt combine to win rhe previous 3 cups?

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Maybe just maybe and I'm just spitballing here, but what if the PLAYERS that lack the intestinal fortitude and chock/collapse under the pressure in big games that is the problem? :help:.

Maybe that is the tipping point on why Leafs continue to lose in big game #7s?
That's what everyone said about Washington until they didn't lose.

Maybe, just maybe professional sports filled with professional athletes makes it extremely difficult to win.

The narrative that thwy simply didn't want it enough is insane.

Pitt didn't want it I guess. Wash either. TB and Vegas. Winn. It seems no one wants to win.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Watch Dubas address the PK via offseason personnel, get Babs that top 4 RHD finally etc.

Leaf Nation witnessed Dermott and Gardiner a pair of LHD toss away game #7 with turnovers and if you had a LHD and RHD paired together (like Babcock constantly preaches) maybe these giveaways that resulted in a lost season don't happen.

Lou Lam 2 X at the TD went and got #4C in Plekanec and Boyle to try and win PK FOs another obvious Dubas mistake leaving Babcock no centres for this PK and his wingers Hyman taking key draws, against Bergeron one of the best on the draw.
How did that work out for Lam?

The Leafs lost both series, two sevond round picks and our PK was abysmal in those years.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
How about this opinion?

Nylander can't be trusted at center yet.

When you can't trust your center, you flank them with C.Brown, Komarov, Marleau, etc.
Ever think that some players are choosing when push or not for a reason? How often do
you see C.Brown going to the net? He was great getting into scoring position before.
However, he's usually playing with very self-fish players that would rather see themselves
dig a hole. There's a reason C.Brown, Marleau, and Nylander won their game. They scored more
then they let in. Was Andreas Johnsson more 'exciting'? It sure was for Boston.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
How did that work out for Lam?

The Leafs lost both series, two second round picks and our PK was abysmal in those years.
This year we traded our 1st round pick, and 2 X former 2nd round picks in Carl Grundstrom & Sean Durzi for Jake Muzzin, and the end result was the same. (despite adding a #1C to boot).

What Lou Lam did was manufactured those picks he traded.. During the Leafs’ 2015-16 trade deadline fire sale that helped Toronto plummet into last place in the league, eventually allowing the Leafs the opportunity to draft Auston Matthews #1OA, the Leafs traded Roman Polak to the San Jose Sharks. The actual trade was San Jose acquiring Polak and forward Nick Spaling in exchange for two second-round picks (2017 2nd round pick & 2018 2nd round pick) and the remainder of Raffi Torres’ contract.

That provided the Leafs extra 2nds to use as currency to address issues to try and win, and then the Leafs re-signed Polak as a UFA in the summer.

PS. Fans often lament the loss of those 2nds for Boyle and Plekanec as wasted, BUT Lou Lam attempted to help the Leafs win in the playoffs. Those picks were found money, played a part in finishing last overall and drafting #1, and then Lou went out and got Polak back as UFA signing so Leafs used him again the following playoffs, and combining him in addition to Plekanec, trying to fix the PK.

It wasn't those actual picks used, but rather Leafs own 2nds traded instead, but Leafs were not left without 2nd round selections is the point. ;)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad