News Article: This year’s Game 7 was Mike Babcock’s Tipping Point

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
I disagree, I think Babcock actually suppressed their potential with his mind boggling lineup decisions night after night. In the playoffs, he consistently gets his lunch handed to him by Cassidy. They absolutely should have won this series. Babcock, instead of being the difference, is just a hindrance.
He dont get it man, never will. Too blind with his love for Babcock to see how detrimental he is to this team. He is a cancer to the players and should be fired asap. They will never win a cup with this idiot, never!

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Can't believe it is Dubas's decision. It is Shanahan's and gee it might not even be his, but the delegates of the owners.
I just wonder if Shanhan has it in him to hire the guy he hired. It's difficult to do because it happens in any business, no one wants to admit they made a mistake to signing/hiring a person that they then want to fire.
Gotta believe though that Shanny knows, Babcock has no more to give with group. Babcock should be gone as coach.
I agree, Im pretty sure Shanny knows he made a mistake hiring this egotistic idiot. Now its up to him to decide, do I save some money and keep him or cut my loses and get the right coach for this team, which Babcock clearly is not. Just about everyone and their dog can see this.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
I disagree, I think Babcock actually suppressed their potential with his mind boggling lineup decisions night after night. In the playoffs, he consistently gets his lunch handed to him by Cassidy. They absolutely should have won this series. Babcock, instead of being the difference, is just a hindrance.
You're very much overreacting due to the teams loss in the playoffs here. In terms of suppressing players potential, it depends on how you look at it. Take a look at the following players under Babcock

Kadri - Hit 30 goals for the first time and reached over 60 points for the first time
Bozak - Reached 55 points , a career high
JVR - Career high 36 goals and 62 points
Gardiner - Career high 47 assists and 52 points
Rielly - Career high in goals with 20 and 72 points
Tavares - Career high in goals and points
Hainsey - Best statistical season in 7 years

And look at the strides Kapanen and Johnsson took this season , hell even Hyman has gotten more points every season under Babcock. Then you have Marner and Matthews who have also only gotten better every year. To say all of this is in spite of Babcock and that there's zero evidence of him having a positive impact, would be kind of ridiculous. Look, I'm not saying he's a genius or anything but a guy who is meant to suppress players potential certainly has an odd way of getting more out of his players than other coaches, at least statistically anyway. I wouldn't be all that upset if Babcock were to get fired , but there's not exactly many better options and I don't know if Sheldon Keefe would be the right guy either.

i am shaking my head , at you! lmfao just silliness on your part. He won nothing with the Leafs, nothing! if that is successful to you then i have some rare rain forest penguins to sell you, you will believe anything no matter how stupid it is. Guys like you would rather a 110 point regular season and put out in the first round of the playoffs then a 78 point team that wins a cup in the playoffs. Like I said just moronic!
You still haven't rebutted anything I said because you know you don't have anything. Yes, Back to back 100 point seasons is a form of success, if they didn't have those 100 point seasons, they likely wouldn't have made the playoffs, which would be a failure. You don't seem to understand that there are degrees of success and that's just plain ignorance, unless you're willing to suggest the likes of Quinn and Burns were bad coaches for the Leafs because they didn't win cups either. You don't win cups on your 2nd try , that's not how this works, there's a process to becoming a champion, and if Babcock must go because they didn't win the cup this year, then so must Dubas and the team needs to be blown up because they play the games too. See how ridiculous all that starts to sound? Then again, the Leafs could win a cup and you'd still find something to moan about. I want to win a cup as much as the next guy, but I'm not foolish enough to believe we're on the cusp of a cup like say Tampa or Pittsburgh, saying that we should have the same expectations is not only setting yourself up for disappointment, but its pure ignorance

Last edited:

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
It's quite sad(And telling) that you're willing to distort history the way you did because you want to push an agenda. The Leafs have had back to back 100+ point seasons which is the first time in franchise history(seriously look it up) and they made the playoffs in 2017 when they weren't supposed to which garnered a Jack Adams nomination for Babcock. Are you saying those are all failures? I think the only one who needs to give their head a shake is you
To be fair since the advent of 3 point games 100 point seasons aren't as impressive.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
You're very much overreacting due to the teams loss in the playoffs here. In terms of suppressing players potential, it depends on how you look at it. Take a look at the following players under Babcock

Kadri - Hit 30 goals for the first time and reached over 60 points for the first time

And look at the strides Kapanen and Johnsson took this season , hell even Hyman has gotten more points every season under Babcock. Then you have Marner and Matthews who have also only gotten better every year. To say all of this is in spite of Babcock and that there's zero evidence of him having a positive impact, would be kind of ridiculous. Look, I'm not saying he's a genius or anything but a guy who is meant to suppress players potential certainly has an odd way of getting more out of his players than other coaches, at least statistically anyway. I wouldn't be all that upset if Babcock were to get fired , but there's not exactly many better options and I don't know if Sheldon Keefe would be the right guy either.

You still haven't rebutted anything I said because you know you don't have anything. Yes, Back to back 100 point seasons is a form of success, if they didn't have those 100 point seasons, they likely wouldn't have made the playoffs, which would be a failure. You don't seem to understand that there are degrees of success and that's just plain ignorance, unless you're willing to suggest the likes of Quinn and Burns were bad coaches for the Leafs because they didn't win cups either. You don't win cups on your 2nd try , that's not how this works, there's a process to becoming a champion, and if Babcock must go because they didn't win the cup this year, then so must Dubas and the team needs to be blown up because they play the games too. See how ridiculous all that starts to sound? Then again, the Leafs could win a cup and you'd still find something to moan about. I want to win a cup as much as the next guy, but I'm not foolish enough to believe we're on the cusp of a cup like say Tampa or Pittsburgh, saying that we should have the same expectations is not only setting yourself up for disappointment, but its pure ignorance
I said my piece, dont need to repeat, if you dont get it you dont get it. Simple as that. You think ZERO playoffs win in SIX years and a cup win 2 years after Jesus was born with a stacked team successful, good for you, I dont and lots agree. What did he do when he didnt have a stacked team? Last overall in the NHL, f yea that screams successful! ZERO playoffs wins with this talented team, oh man nothing screams successful more then that! What did 100 point season do for us in the playoffs? Thats right, nothing! Yea real successful! About the only thing Babcock is successful with is putting the blame of his inept coaching on everyone else in the organization. Im sure you are enjoying the playoffs without the Leafs in it, since we got a 100 point season, dont need anything else to be successful. Like I said pure foolishness.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheOneArmedMan

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
To be fair since the advent of 3 point games 100 point seasons aren't as impressive.
I understand what you're saying and I even agree to a certain extent(like Tampa having most wins) but you have to remember, ties were always there . The Leafs this season had 100 points and zero shootout wins, so those were legitimate 100 points. Last season though, the Leafs had 7 shootout wins in an 105 point season. Still though, they're not where they are because of getting 1 point

I said my piece, dont need to repeat, if you dont get it you dont get it. Simple as that. You think ZERO playoffs win in SIX years and a cup win 2 years after Jesus was born with a stacked team successful, good for you, I dont and lots agree. What did he do when he didnt have a stacked team? Last overall in the NHL, f yea that screams successful! ZERO playoffs wins with this talented team, oh man nothing screams successful more then that! What did 100 point season do for us in the playoffs? Thats right, nothing! Yea real successful! About the only thing Babcock is successful with is putting the blame of his inept coaching on everyone else in the organization. Im sure you are enjoying the playoffs without the Leafs in it, since we got a 100 point season, dont need anything else to be successful. Like I said pure foolishness.
You satnothing apart from "Babcock sucks" with no actual rhyme or reason behind it other than the Leafs lost in the playoffs this year, which a very short sighted way to look at things. You refused to argue any points I made because quite frankly, you actually have nothing to say, you have no rebuttal because you know you're wrong. You resort to distorting history and flat out lying about what I said too, which is a bad look for you, not for me. The Leafs finished dead last was not because of Babcock's coaching by any means, they finished last because they wanted to tank for Matthews. Why do you ignore what he did the following season in 2016-2017 by making the playoffs with hardly a stacked team by any means, and a bunch of rookies? That same season not only did the Leafs own management expect them to miss the playoffs, but it earned Babcock a Jack Adams nomination for best coach that season. There's a reason you stopped short of talking about that. Like I've been trying to explain to you, 100 point season is 1 level of success because there are multiple levels of success, I have not said, the only barometer to success is 100 points , nor did I say that there only success I want is 100 points. You need to stop lying. My point is you don't win the raffle if you don't enter itt. That's what a 100 point season does, if you don't have 100 points, you aren't likely entered to get a chance at winning the raffle that is winning the Stanley Cup. Barry Trotz, John Tortarella, Dan Bylsma, and Joel Quenville all have one thing in common, they won nothing before winning a cup. It's like there's a pattern here or something :laugh:

Reactions: The Apologist

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

Babs is a great coach in the regular season....but a lousy coach in the playoffs.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
I’m so tired of this guy. Fire his assistants. Bring Keefe up as an assistant. Have a serious talk to Babs about the changes that need to happen. If he appears to be his old stubborn self as the year goes on fire his ass and promote Keefe who’s already on the bench.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Shanahan-Dubas-Keefe

This is the trio that will propel the Leafs into the future not Shanahan-Dubas-Babcock.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
I understand what you're saying and I even agree to a certain extent(like Tampa having most wins) but you have to remember, ties were always there . The Leafs this season had 100 points and zero shootout wins, so those were legitimate 100 points. Last season though, the Leafs had 7 shootout wins in an 105 point season. Still though, they're not where they are because of getting 1 point

You satnothing apart from "Babcock sucks" with no actual rhyme or reason behind it other than the Leafs lost in the playoffs this year, which a very short sighted way to look at things. You refused to argue any points I made because quite frankly, you actually have nothing to say, you have no rebuttal because you know you're wrong. You resort to distorting history and flat out lying about what I said too, which is a bad look for you, not for me. The Leafs finished dead last was not because of Babcock's coaching by any means, they finished last because they wanted to tank for Matthews. Why do you ignore what he did the following season in 2016-2017 by making the playoffs with hardly a stacked team by any means, and a bunch of rookies? That same season not only did the Leafs own management expect them to miss the playoffs, but it earned Babcock a Jack Adams nomination for best coach that season. There's a reason you stopped short of talking about that. Like I've been trying to explain to you, 100 point season is 1 level of success because there are multiple levels of success, I have not said, the only barometer to success is 100 points , nor did I say that there only success I want is 100 points. You need to stop lying. My point is you don't win the raffle if you don't enter itt. That's what a 100 point season does, if you don't have 100 points, you aren't likely entered to get a chance at winning the raffle that is winning the Stanley Cup. Barry Trotz, John Tortarella, Dan Bylsma, and Joel Quenville all have one thing in common, they won nothing before winning a cup. It's like there's a pattern here or something :laugh:
lmao what a pile of chit. I cant force you to be right. Everybody and their dog have proven you wrong and you keep coming back to make yourself look even more foolish. Its senseless to keep showing you how inept Babcock was. Everybody in here gave a thousand reasons to show how idiotic Babcock has been coaching this team. It will take days to list them all. We just had a poll in this forum if Babcock should be fired or not, 60% wants him fired, does that scream out successful to you? Are they all wrong but you are right? I stick with the majority ty. All you can see is 100 point season and a cup win back in the 1920s. What exactly has he won lately? NOTHING! That's a fact! The game has passed him by years ago. If you want to be stubborn like the love of your life, Babcock, beat yourself out!

Last edited:

4chandler

Apr 11, 2019
"There is going to be pain" Mike Babcock

Pain for the fanbase, no pain for Mike, he phones it in against Boston twice, doesn't change lines, make adjustments and plays plugs. Lazy coaching and he's been pampered by the media and organization since day one, dude's soft as goose **** with the bratty attitude of a woman that never been criticized in her life.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
You know what's funny is throughout the years, I've never gotten a straight answer for his stupid ass PP deployment. Every single team in the league runs the first unit for 1:30 and :30 seconds for the 2nd unit. It's been like this forever. All of a sudden wondercoach comes to town and runs this god-awful split PP approach where he's needlessly splitting the PP team evenly between two units.

It 100% hurt us in the Boston series, there's no denying it. I've been waiting on the media to question him on this forever but none of them had the stones to do it. In what reasonable world do you take away PP time from Marner/Tavares/Matthes and give it to Marleau/Ennis/Kapanen??? So f***ing stupid and unnecessary. I just don't know how anyone defended this complete moron .

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
And another thing too.

When you're trailing by a goal in the dying minutes of a game, and you're trying to tie it up, the methodology (which again, has been used FOREVER) is quite simple. You stack up your best players, play them for a prolonged shift of :45 - 1:00, take a timeout to rest them, and have them play another prolonged shift of :45 - 1:00. EVERY f***ing team did it except us. When Babcock was forced to answer for his stupidity of Marleau being out there to try tie the game, he goes on about having "2 groups and when we felt Patty should be out there". Again, WHAT THE f***? NOBODY ELSE DOES THIS. IT'S 1 GROUP THAT YOU DOUBLE SHIFT AND REST WITH A TIMEOUT.

It's relieving in a way that Babcock's pure stupidity is finally being brought to light. So many people didn't understand just how insanely bad this coach was this last season.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
You know what's funny is throughout the years, I've never gotten a straight answer for his stupid ass PP deployment. Every single team in the league runs the first unit for 1:30 and :30 seconds for the 2nd unit. It's been like this forever. All of a sudden wondercoach comes to town and runs this god-awful split PP approach where he's needlessly splitting the PP team evenly between two units.

It 100% hurt us in the Boston series, there's no denying it. I've been waiting on the media to question him on this forever but none of them had the stones to do it. In what reasonable world do you take away PP time from Marner/Tavares/Matthes and give it to Marleau/Ennis/Kapanen??? So ****ing stupid and unnecessary. I just don't know how anyone defended this complete moron .
lol i hear you man, unbelievably there are still a few still TRYING to defend this moron, but failing. but this list of supports are growing smaller every day. You see it in threads all over the place. You now see many saying, I supported Babcock since he has been here, but enough is enough, I cant support this guy any longer, he needs to be fired. And btw, good on them to finally see what a total clown and ahole this coach really is.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
lol i hear you man, unbelievably there are still a few still TRYING to defend this moron, but failing. but this list of supports are growing smaller every day. You see it in threads all over the place. You now see many saying, I supported Babcock since he has been here, but enough is enough, I cant support this guy any longer, he needs to be fired.
I've actually noticed that Babcock's most ardent supporters (won't point out names to avoid infraction) have completely disappeared. One of them had actually was bumping the Babcock thread saying "crickets" after every one of our wins and I've yet to see him talk much about Babcock ever since.

His accumulation of stupid coaching decisions has even drowned out the zealots, it's hilarious.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Babs is a great coach in the regular season....but a lousy coach in the playoffs.
I think Babcock is only an average coach in the regular season. Both last season and this season, many points were squandered by not using his lineup properly at times. I'd say, with better coaching, we could have been at least 10 points higher in the standings if the correct coaching techniques and strategies are implemented.

A good coach knows when to SHORTEN the BENCH when looking to tie up a game late, including stacking the lines and double shifting your top players.

A good coach knows that his 4th line doesn't get ice time in the 3rd period when chasing the lead.

A good coach knows when to bench a player that doesn't have a high enough compete level during a game.

A great coach sees whats working, and what's not working, and makes adjustments on the fly during a game.

I could go on, however, it's likely falling on deaf ears with those Babcock fan boys, and, especially Leafs management.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tracer Bullet

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I think Babcock is only an average coach in the regular season. Both last season and this season, many points were squandered by not using his lineup properly at times. I'd say, with better coaching, we could have been at least 10 points higher in the standings if the correct coaching techniques and strategies are implemented.

A good coach knows when to SHORTEN the BENCH when looking to tie up a game late including stacking the lines and double shifting your top players.

A good coach knows that his 4th line doesn't get ice time in the 3rd period when chasing the lead.

A good coach knows when to bench a player that doesn't have a high enough compete level during a game.

A great coach sees whats working, and what's not working, and makes adjustments on the fly during a game.

I could go on, however, it's likely falling on deaf ears with those Babcock fan boys, and, especially Leafs management.

He no doubt costed us a ton of points during the regular season.

It's why I'm nowhere near ready to give up on this roster. We truly do not know what we have here until we see it under a different coach. We've seen how coaching changes have done major positives for a few teams around the league this year, I think it can yield similar results for us.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan

A good coach knows when to SHORTEN the BENCH when looking to tie up a game late including stacking the lines and double shifting your top players.

exactly, i said earlier, can list all the things to show Babcock's inept coaching, but that will take days to list that many things. Just a brutal brutal coach. But nice to see even some of his most die hard supporters are even turning against him. Leaf management, your call.

Reactions: Al14

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

It’s easier to make a case in the regular season for resting players. Limiting Freddy to 60 game starts for example.

However this strange reluctance to shorten the bench in the playoffs is plain weird.

Going with losing strategies on special teams long after it became apparent things weren’t working is another failing.

Not benching vets is basically the norm in today’s game. However Calgary benched James Neal when it became obvious the guy was dogging it on his retirement contract. Hall of Fame or not Marleau was completely ineffective and Brown not much better. He should’ve promoted Moore and Ennis to the third line.

Reactions: Al14

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Take it as a mark of honor man...
You know there have been a few of us, including yourself, that could see this coach was a fraudulent idiot for a very long time. For me it was way back to the Capitals playoff series when he stuck Marincin in the final game. I mean honestly my grandmother would of been a better option. And not surprising, Marincin was the main reason for that loss. Now the majority sees the same thing and we were proven right all along. There are a few in here including yourself, I would love to sit down with and buy a nice cold beer for. I can name off about a good 20 posters or more that would be a blast to sit down with at a bar and talk Leafs. Cheers buddy!

Reactions: frizzer1 and Al14

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If you think of Babcock's approach to coaching a hockey loosely like like a generic baseball game, fixed batting order, pitching rotation, conserving the pitch count/pitch count attrition, right hand vs left hand matchups a lot of his weird non stacking, non improvisational methods makes sense. You methodically develop a strategy, do all your prep work, assign the roles to the various players and you let it play out in a turn based game that unfolds.

This approach tends to work well when applied to a chaotic situation (post Horachek) or with veteran teams that understand playing in a pretty rigid system. In addition to high end skill and speed, he needs specific roles to be filled such as heavy wingers with a high work rate along who can start and sustain a cycle, veteran forwards who can play an inert time wasting protect a lead shift reliably, at least two 2x pairs of reliable LHD-RHD to pitch and catch (Lidstrom, Rafalski, Team Canada defense) to slow down the pacing of the forecheck and a defenseman who can make a great stretch pass to suddenly change up the pace (Lidstrom), reliable veteran centers to win key faceoffs in all situations (Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Team Canada centers), and a big body defenseman who can block the cycle (Kronwall, Polak).

Problems arise when you don't have the personnel to play the pre-programmed game and he has to insert the next best equivalent.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
You know there have been a few of us, including yourself, that could see this coach was a fraudulent idiot for a very long time. For me it was way back to the Capitals playoff series when he stuck Marincin in the final game. I mean honestly my grandmother would of been a better option. And not surprising, Marincin was the main reason for that loss. Now the majority sees the same thing and we were proven right all along. There are a few in here including yourself, I would love to sit down with and buy a nice cold beer for. I can name off about a good 20 posters or more that would be a blast to sit down with at a bar and talk Leafs. Cheers buddy!

Props to all of you who made sure it wasn't just me going insane over Babcock's insane decisions! It'd be a great change from the Jets fans I'm usually forced to drink with! :laugh:

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I've actually noticed that Babcock's most ardent supporters (won't point out names to avoid infraction) have completely disappeared. One of them had actually was bumping the Babcock thread saying "crickets" after every one of our wins and I've yet to see him talk much about Babcock ever since.

His accumulation of stupid coaching decisions has even drowned out the zealots, it's hilarious.
I've been a pretty big supporter of Babcock's, as I've seen undeniable growth in our players under his tutelage, and I actually do believe in a lot of the things he preaches about, but a lot of his decisions against Boston - (Not enough ice for the big guns on the PP, pulling Freddy too early when we're fully capable of producing at 5v5, for example) - left me pretty frustrated. We quite handily outplayed the Bruins at 5v5 the majority of that series, but I don't think Babcock put us in the best position to win. He doesn't deserve all of the blame, but a pretty hefty portion.

I had a belief when Babcock started working with our rookies that he would optimize his lineups to their fullest potential once he trusted them and the games mattered the most, but I didn't see that this year. Last season he began demoting guys like Martin and Komarov in favour of guys like Johnsson and Kapanen, but his reluctance to promote someone like Moore when he was outplaying both Marleau and Brown was quite disappointing. Part of me wonders how different things could have been with Kadri in the lineup, since I thought Nylander played quite well and should have had the opportunity to play with Matthews again, but even with him in the pressbox, we still managed to let a very winnable series slip away.

I've got enough patience and respect for him to see what one more year brings - (I'm certainly intrigued by the notion of replacing the assistants) - but I'd be lying if I said I didn't lose a lot of both when he deflected pretty much all blame away from himself after this series.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Watch Dubas address the PK via offseason personnel, get Babs that top 4 RHD finally etc.

Leaf Nation witnessed Dermott and Gardiner a pair of LHD toss away game #7 with turnovers and if you had a LHD and RHD paired together (like Babcock constantly preaches) maybe these giveaways that resulted in a lost season don't happen.

Lou Lam 2 X at the TD went and got #4C in Plekanec and Boyle to try and win PK FOs another obvious Dubas mistake leaving Babcock no centres for this PK and his wingers Hyman taking key draws, against Bergeron one of the best on the draw.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->