News Article: This year’s Game 7 was Mike Babcock’s Tipping Point

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
He deserves blame no doubt, but in a do-or-die Game 7 you can't expect him to make major changes to structure or lineup. Gotta go with what got you to that point. Unfortunate our high-octane offense only scored one goal.

Reactions: Duffman955

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Because he keeps losing. 6 straight years without a series win. I'd probably try to do things differently by now
Cool, but this notion that he's purposely losing to piss people off is silly.

Rightly or wrongly, he thinks his methods will produce a winning result or gives us the best chance. He's not doing it to frustrate fans, he believes in it.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Wings fan here, I really wouldnt cite the Det/Bos and the two Det/TB series. Those series had nothing to do with being outcoached.
After a certain point, you do have to expect a win though. Tons of underdogs won this year, a lot of it because of having good coaching. Babcock finds a way to consistently lose, unlike any other coach in the league

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He deserves blame no doubt, but in a do-or-die Game 7 you can't expect him to make major changes to structure or lineup. Gotta go with what got you to that point. Unfortunate our high-octane offense only scored one goal.

Going into game #7 it was 3 wins Leafs and 3 wins Boston.

Very few would abandon a strategy that already successfully worked 3 times to try and win the 4th time.

Leafs high powered offense only scored 5 goals total in the last 3 games (5, 6 & 7) of the series combined. [1.66 Goals/game on average].

Boston won showing its defense that wins, by shutting down Leafs high-octane offense.. Ditto for why TB, Pitts, Wash, Calgary and Winnipeg are also done for the season.

All the highest scoring teams are golfing and the best defensive teams are still playing.

Last edited:

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Excellent article and Babcock lovers and fanboys should rethink their love for this guy. The hockey world, Leafs nation, and the man on the street, are now seeing what many of us have seen the last two years. He’s an average coach who thinks he’s God’s gift to Toronto. His stubbornness and desire to not make adjustments will be his downfall.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Going into game #7 it was 3 wins Leafs and 3 wins Boston.

Very few would abandon a strategy that already successfully worked 3 times to try and win the 4th time.

Leafs high powered offense only scored 5 goals total in the last 3 games (5, 6 & 7) of the series combined. [1.66 Goals/game on average].

Boston won showing its defense that wins, by shutting down Leafs high-octane offense.. Ditto for why TB, Pitts, Wash, Calgary and Winnipeg are also done.

Huh?
Washington won last year. Carolina’s D we’re turnstiles

Pens win the previous 2

The flames are D heavy.

Reactions: LindrosLeafs88

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
If you like laboured writing, mixed metaphors, skewed syntax and clichés aplenty, dive in...

I learned that it may be true that “ecosystems have warts”.

Never heard of Forest Warts before but I’ll be careful when taking the dogs for a walk through the trees.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
After a certain point, you do have to expect a win though. Tons of underdogs won this year, a lot of it because of having good coaching. Babcock finds a way to consistently lose, unlike any other coach in the league

I see what you are saying, but my point is that in those 3 series the Wings stood no chance with maybe the exception being the first TB one.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Here is the real tipping point of game #7 Leafs loss.

Freddy Andersen lets in a real soft first goal on a Dermott turnover making it 1-0 Boston.
Marcus Johanssen scores on a Jake Gardiner drop pass to no one in his own zone, making it 2-0 Boston. (eventual series GWG).
John Tavares scores Leafs only goal of the game making it 2-1 Boston.
Sean Kuraly skates in 1 on 4 as Leafs players lazily try and stick check him, and beats an unscreened Freddy Andersen from 50 feet out on a wrist shot making it 3-1 and Game Over.

Clearly Babcock is to blame standing behind the bench watching this like the rest of us..

Why didn't he change things up in game #7 and play Hutchinson & Sparks instead of Andersen?
&
Why not play Calle Rosen and Justin Holl as his 3rd pairing and not Dermott and Gardiner in game #7?

All that could have been avoided if only the coach wasn't so stubborn and locked into his ways, unwilling to make changes that could have helped the Leafs win. :wedgie:

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
"last night was the straw that broke the camels back, that turned concern about the bench from a taboo topic to something that everyone has some form of agreeance on"

This quote stuck out to me. I'm someone that has been a big Babs supporter and defender through his tenure. I still don't want him fired this year but I cannot see how he keeps his job if there is another year of no adjustments. When you lose three straight first rounds with a team, something somewhere along the line needs to give. It doesn't have to be Babs being fired, but it does have to have him changing his ways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad