This will be the best Canuck team since 2014.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
This is exactly it. We would end up like Columbus or Buffalo with everyone wanting out if we kept slowly peeling the bandaid off... and would be right back at the start. It's a gamble. Cross your fingers and hope for a good season. Looking good on paper isn't everything.

All the massive whiners should just move to another team already... like why are they even here still. :help:

Would it be fair for me to say: That the people that have followed Benning down the well should leave because they've been more detrimental to the franchise by helping keep a terrible GM in place? No? Well this is how your final statement sounds.

Everyone wanting out takes years of poor management. If the players are at this point now, and the GM had to burn more of the future just this year, what does that say about what he's done here?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
We seriously need to get rid of Myers and replace with someone who provides some decent value (Parayko/Pulock/RD). I can live with one of OEL or Myers contracts on the backend, but not both.
Maybe Myers could have been exposed at the ED..?..With the departures of RHD Edler and Schmidt, this made it a certainty that Myers would be protected...I think that Myers could be moved if they wanted to..especially with the ridiculous rate of exchange that RHD are going for lately.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It will be interesting to see what OEL brings to the Canucks.?..I was never in favour of trading for him, but here we are.

There is no doubt that he is no longer a #1 Dman ,and Benning calling him one makes for unrealistic expectations (iMac said this as well).

Reading comments from the Coyotes fans, it seems as though OEL completely lost his passion for playing for the Coyotes..Not only burdened with being the captain ..Tocchets structure did not work with OEL's style of play, and a year ago, the Arizona management asked him if he would be willing to leave the team..Seems to me that he has been mentally checked out for awhile...Many of their fans suggested that with a change of scenery, OEL could rebound into a productive top 4 D man.

Reactions: Jimnastic

megatron

Dec 11, 2016
Gillis presided over the most successful team in Canucks history...He also presided over its downfall, and the gutting of its prospect pool.

When a team is as successful as the Canucks were under Gillis, you expect the prospect pool to be bare. That is exactly the time to trade first rounders. In general you don't trade first rounders like Benning has just to make your team a bubble team, you trade them when you go all in for the cup.
You are being intellectually dishonest for criticizing Gillis for having a poor prospect pool at that juncture of the canucks history.
This has been brought up many times before, you seem pretty steadfast on your beliefs, im not trying to change your mind but I really don't understand your criticism there.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Clarification

Best roster since 2014

Worse coaching

don’t forget people, Green (sub 500 coach) is still behind the bench along with Baumer

if this team does not win games it better be a short plank for those 2 because the excuses Green and his media supporters spew will be gone

Reactions: Zippgunn

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
When a team is as successful as the Canucks were under Gillis, you expect the prospect pool to be bare. That is exactly the time to trade first rounders. In general you don't trade first rounders like Benning has just to make your team a bubble team, you trade them when you go all in for the cup.
You are being intellectually dishonest for criticizing Gillis for having a poor prospect pool at that juncture of the canucks history.
This has been brought up many times before, you seem pretty steadfast on your beliefs, im not trying to change your mind but I really don't understand your criticism there.
I'm not going to go into the whole Gillis thing regarding his prospect pool..but two other elite teams at the time (LAK and CHI) drafted a good number of future key depth players while picking similar late picks to the Canucks....so no, the prospect pool should not have been bare...There's no excuse for having one of the shittiest stretches of drafting in modern NHL history.

Canucks currently have enough young core pieces in their lineup...Most SC winners and contenders are not exclusively made up of just draft picks (Tampa being the exception)..Benning is clearly trying to jump start and accelerate this current core of players.

The core players need instant reinforcement from quality players (Garland, Dickenson)...Dylan Guenther would not be helping the Canucks until 2-3 years down the road...and a 4th line of Beagle /Eriksson/Roussel kneecaps the team even more.

The Arizona trade might be the catalyst that kicks the Canucks up to a completely level....or it could be reckless and stupid. long term.

Last edited:

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I'm not going to go into the whole Gillis thing regarding his prospect pool..but two other elite teams at the time (LAK and CHI) drafted a good number of future key depth players while picking similar late picks to the Canucks....so no, the prospect pool should not have been bare...There's no excuse for having one of the shittiest stretches of drafting in modern NHL history.

Canucks currently have enough young core pieces in their lineup...Most SC winners and contenders are not exclusively made up of just draft picks (Tampa being the exception)..Benning is clearly trying to jump start and accelerate this current core of players.

The core players need instant reinforcement from quality players (Garland, Dickenson)...Dylan Guenther would not be helping the Canucks until 2-3 years down the road...and a 4th line of Beagle /Eriksson/Roussel kneecaps the team even more.

The Arizona trade might be the catalyst that kicks the Canucks up to a completely level....or it could be reckless and stupid. long term.

This is the most hilarious and bias post I have read in a long time… well sadly maybe not there have been a ton of shit takes of lately here from a few posters.

Reactions: Upoil

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

Way to go out on a limb.

But to some extent I agree; I am hoping but not optimistic that OEL turns out to be somewhat rejuvenated in Vancouver.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Way to go out on a limb.

But to some extent I agree; I am hoping but not optimistic that OEL turns out to be somewhat rejuvenated in Vancouver.
I think it comes down to.:

Was he mentally checked out in Arizona, and gets a renewed enthusiasm playing in Van..without the captaincy burden..?

Or...His body and skills have eroded to the point where he is now a liability..?

Like everyone else, I'm hopeful as well

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

I am not one to defend Benning and am a big proponent of Gillis, but even accounting for the position the Canucks were in during Gillis' tenure, the Canucks drafting was historically bad.

megatron

Dec 11, 2016
I am not one to defend Benning and am a big proponent of Gillis, but even accounting for the position the Canucks were in during Gillis' tenure, the Canucks drafting was historically bad.

Fair response, I would agree that Gillis and his regime were poor drafters, however my point was on a broader scale. The canucks were so good (back to back best team in the league) that the last thing I would criticize is "leaving the cupboards bare". That is, ok they could have done a better job drafting but we wouldnt expect major pieces considering their draft position.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Fair response, I would agree that Gillis and his regime were poor drafters, however my point was on a broader scale. The canucks were so good (back to back best team in the league) that the last thing I would criticize is "leaving the cupboards bare". That is, ok they could have done a better job drafting but we wouldnt expect major pieces considering their draft position.

I get that, and honestly, the problem was Gillis' slow process in evaluating things and the way he tried to adjust the scouting/drafting. He did try, but it didn't work. It's worthy of criticism.

I don't think anyone was expecting Gillis to be netting the next Crosby or McDavid or whatever (although that certainly would've been nice!), but the fact that the only real 'wins' he had were Hodgson, Horvat and maybe Hutton/Connauton if you wanted to be generous, it does paint a bleak picture.

The flipside, though, is that people lauding Benning for doing such a great job of drafting ignore he's had the benefit of 5 top 10 draft picks but hasn't really 'stocked' the cupboard much better than Gillis had. 8 years later and there isn't much more than when he took over.

Now before people lose their shit and point to EP and Hughes and ~*~ Calder nominees ~*~ and all that, what I mean is that I'm looking at existing prospects in the system as of right now. I don't see a revamped/revitalized drafting/scouting department with a consistent pipeline as I would expect from someone taking over who has that supposed expertise. Yes, Benning should receive credit for the guys he has drafted.

Drafting has improved, but my feeling (not backed up by seriously examining things) is that it isn't much better than the Canucks drafting record pre-Gillis. Which was seen as being bad, despite hitting on guys like Edler, Kesler, Schneider, etc.

Reactions: megatron

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
I took a break from HFBoards over the last little while to attend to some family issues (deaths and illnesses in family).

I have to say.

I LOVE the team Jim Benning has put together. I think we are going to be very good.

WE WILL WIN. YOU KNOW WE WILL.

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
OEL is overburdened in apathetic Phoenix as captain playing a reduced role but won't be overburdened in hypercritical Vancouver playing as a #1 defenseman.

I'm trying really hard to reconcile these two seemingly contradictory statements.

that’s not what makes it laughable and bias though. He is clearly using Gillis’s admittedly shitting drafting as an excuse for this Benning team to have no prospects. It’s deflection, and not even good at that.

Reactions: MS

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
that’s not what makes it laughable and bias though. He is clearly using Gillis’s admittedly shitting drafting as an excuse for this Benning team to have no prospects. It’s deflection, and not even good at that.

I don't really see OEL discussion as being tied to Benning Gillis -- they were separate posts talking about different things.

What is funny, from the post you're referring to, are references to Jim Benning attempting to 'jump start' things. He's been attempting to 'jump start' things for like 7 years in various capacities.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I don't really see OEL discussion as being tied to Benning Gillis -- they were separate posts talking about different things.

What is funny, from the post you're referring to, are references to Jim Benning attempting to 'jump start' things. He's been attempting to 'jump start' things for like 7 years in various capacities.

sometimes you need to know when alternator and battery are dead it’s just not going to work…

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Benning was trying to jump start the team with the 'win with the twins' attempted playoff runs from 2014-17...This involved 'win now' trades, trading picks for underachieving prospects further along in their development, and 'win now' UFA signings...During this period Benning never traded his 1st round picks...

The two seasons 2017-18, and 2018-19 were a holding pattern..Nothing here indicated a serious playoff push.

Big jump start in the 2019-20 off season....Handcuffed by lack of cap flexibility in 2021...Going 'all in' again this season.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Clarification

Best roster since 2014

Worse coaching

don’t forget people, Green (sub 500 coach) is still behind the bench along with Baumer

if this team does not win games it better be a short plank for those 2 because the excuses Green and his media supporters spew will be gone
Baumer isn't the D coach anymore though, its Shaw.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad