This will be the best Canuck team since 2014.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I have no idea how you thought that would somehow be a thing to post. Like how you can compare the two situations is just WOW.

Years of winning and some people/fans wanting a change to either improve the situ or rebuild....

Vs more years of excessive losing with no prospects or recent top picks and the entire fanbase unifying to call for an end to the disaster management

I mean your not wrong to pick one detail like that to compare the two, its just excessively misleading and serves no point whatsoever

Your obsession with me really should stop. Erub

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Yea, but I would put that down to 99% of playoff teams start the season well and have consistent win lose patterns and like 1% have erratic seasons. So it is just as useful setting an arbitrary date.
But the idea of projecting points totals, in my little brain atleast, seems like it works but for the wrong reasons. Like we are like 2 games bellow 500, and 4 points out of a wild card spot, but two weeks ago we were going for a record low season. and then our 5 game win streak gives us like 18 more points,

there are like 5 data points that help us see how the season is going and what is likely to happen, projecting point totals adds no new reliable conclusions….

4 points out of a wild card spot with the wild card having 3 games in hand, call a spade a spade. You'll notice as well that team - Edmonton, we've made up 10 points on them largely due to us winning 5 and them losing 6. And we're still a ways away. It's hard to gain ground with 3-point games existent in the league format, and the sample size of late-November is usually used because that amount of games is usually enough a sample size to predict trends in play, and how a team is made up. It's important to note that number is not 100% again, because, as you said, the season is a rollercoaster.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
4 points out of a wild card spot with the wild card having 3 games in hand, call a spade a spade. You'll notice as well that team - Edmonton, we've made up 10 points on them largely due to us winning 5 and them losing 6. And we're still a ways away. It's hard to gain ground with 3-point games existent in the league format, and the sample size of late-November is usually used because that amount of games is usually enough a sample size to predict trends in play, and how a team is made up. It's important to note that number is not 100% again, because, as you said, the season is a rollercoaster.
I don’t think we are in disagreement, Im not saying we are close to playoffs or anything, im just here hoping fir the best…

Im just saying that to me projecting points is not a good way of looking at how the season is going, which is what the after game show guys like to do.

What they are saying (not you) is basically the same as saying we made up 10 points on the oilers so lets project that over the rest of the season and say we are on pace to make up another 100 points over the next 50 games. It looks like hyperbole but thats the flaw with there projections

the reason I mentioned the other stuff is it is actually helpful in seeing how things might play out

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I have no idea how you thought that would somehow be a thing to post. Like how you can compare the two situations is just WOW.

Years of winning and some people/fans wanting a change to either improve the situ or rebuild....

Vs more years of excessive losing with no prospects or recent top picks and the entire fanbase unifying to call for an end to the disaster management

I mean your not wrong to pick one detail like that to compare the two, its just excessively misleading and serves no point whatsoever
What’s the standard for something being excessively misleading on HFBoards?

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
What’s the standard for something being excessively misleading on HFBoards?
It’s variable but a source for the misleading content needs to be provided Then you look at how the misleading is received before you can pin it down to being misleading.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
It’s variable but a source for the misleading content needs to be provided Then you look at how the misleading is received before you can pin it down to being misleading.
Then I think 4 out of 5 dentists have to agree

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I don’t think we are in disagreement, Im not saying we are close to playoffs or anything, im just here hoping fir the best…

Im just saying that to me projecting points is not a good way of looking at how the season is going, which is what the after game show guys like to do.

What they are saying (not you) is basically the same as saying we made up 10 points on the oilers so lets project that over the rest of the season and say we are on pace to make up another 100 points over the next 50 games. It looks like hyperbole but thats the flaw with there projections

the reason I mentioned the other stuff is it is actually helpful in seeing how things might play out

Yeah I more or less agree, I just see that stuff as a weather forecast...like it could rain tomorrow, but it could be sunny as well per se.

Reactions: Aphid Attraction

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Senators won 4/5 and i doubt they are a good team. Win streaks happen. Chicago won 5 in a row after they changed the coach and they are back to earth. We sucked for 2 months this season and after we win 5 games you come here to flex? Let's talk after jan and talk about how great the team is. We are in the easiest part of the schedule, at home and we faced a lot of tired teams. We also got the boost that comes with the new coach and front office. You Jimbo stans always flex prematurely. It also looks bad for your boy OEL that we have no problem winning games without him.

Bumpity Bump

Love

Feb 29, 2012
They’re playing well

Yeah overall it’s night and day since BB took over. As far as last night specifically I thought the first two periods were pretty bad but Demko kept us in it. Third period we were better.

If we beat Toronto we’re a .500 team… crazy.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
It’s actually quite an achievement to be bottom 5 bad after rebuilding for 8 years so kudos to FAQ and the gang for that.

Objectively, they seemed to have been able to eventually fix their self-inflicted cluster with the OEL trade (a hand of god trade that completely righted the salary cap structure) except for the most important thing which was firing themselves.

If the players hadn’t gone on strike and severely compromised the entertainment level of the on-ice product we would have been ducked for a very long time due to lack of self awareness of stupid people blaming (and trading) everyone external to them.

The players that went on strike are the players that fought the hardest for this franchise. Short term pain for long term gain.

The striking players are also Canucks draft picks and, IMO, should be retained ahead of everyone at all costs because players will always have an emotional connection to the team that drafted them.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
It’s actually quite an achievement to be bottom 5 bad after rebuilding for 8 years so kudos to FAQ and the gang for that.

Objectively, they seemed to have been able to eventually fix their self-inflicted cluster with the OEL trade (a hand of god trade that completely righted the salary cap structure) except for the most important thing which was firing themselves.

If the players hadn’t gone on strike and severely compromised the entertainment level of the on-ice product we would have been ducked for a very long time due to lack of self awareness of stupid people blaming (and trading) everyone external to them.

The players that went on strike are the players that fought the hardest for this franchise. Short term pain for long term gain.

The striking players are also Canucks draft picks and, IMO, should be retained ahead of everyone at all costs because players will always have an emotional connection to the team that drafted them.

I've been pleasantly surprised and happy with OEL's play, but I think there's the overhang of how his play will hold up for the duration of the contract so jury might still be out on whether that trade works out for us in the long-term. Like if OEL begins a steep decline, that contract could be an anchor right into a competitive window.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I've been pleasantly surprised and happy with OEL's play, but I think there's the overhang of how his play will hold up for the duration of the contract so jury might still be out on whether that trade works out for us in the long-term. Like if OEL begins a steep decline, that contract could be an anchor right into a competitive window.
jim-benning-canucks-gm.jpeg

Reactions: MarkMM and mathonwy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad