This team can win the Stanley Cup this year.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
As far as the bottom six is concerned, I'm starting to wonder if the group just really hasn't meshed together yet? The bottom lines have been shuffled so often that I wonder if they just haven't had a chance to develop some chemistry.

One line which gives me hope for the future is Spaling - Lapierre - Bennett fourth line. They seem to be adept at cycling the puck, with Lapierre heading to the net and Spaling playing a defensively-responsible game. They give Bennett the room he needs to just possess the puck and eat up zone time.

Hopefully Winnik - Sutter - Downie can start to do the same. That being said, I wouldn't mind what that line brings at all if the fourth line can be the "pin them in and keep 'em there" line.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Well, hell -- they've only ever won the Cup with a new coach behind the bench. Clearly an omen.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
it's the NHL, there are probably 10 teams that you can make an argument have a real fighting chance at winning it all at this point. Maybe you can even name 12+.

Just have to survive the final 18 games and get into the playoffs healthy.

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
Tonight’s #Pens lines:
Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Comeau
Winnik-Sutter-Bennett
Spaling-Lapierre-Downie

deczola

Jan 21, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
sure, this team could win the Cup.

They could also get swept in the 1st round.

I don't know what team people watch that they think beating the Ducks last night changes anything.

This has been the story all year. Nice highs mixed with extreme lows. Trouncings at the hands of the Metros, then perception-altering beatdowns of the West and Atlantic.

The Penguins have spent the past 5 years trying to build a team to win a second cup.

The Capitals, Islanders, and Rangers have spent the same time period building a team to beat the Penguins.

The Pens are probably going to have to go through at least two of those teams to get to the Cup Finals.

The Bottom Six is still a mess. Crosby is still dazed and confused, and, I'm sorry, this is not a comment on the Despres trade, but you have a situation where between 15-20 minutes a night, one Dpair is going to be a ticking timebomb.

The Ducks aren't a great possession team and still murderized Scuderi. Just wait for a few of these other teams to get their hands on him.

LOL. Their post game crew thought otherwise and two of the three had Scuds as their player of the game you troll.

The Kings broadcasting crew raved about Scuds game again tonight. Sorry that he ain't fancy for you who has a limit concept of what winning hockey is about

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
LOL. Their post game crew thought otherwise and two of the three had Scuds as their player of the game you troll.

The Kings broadcasting crew raved about Scuds game again tonight. Sorry that he ain't fancy for you who has a limit concept of what winning hockey is about

Do you also think Paul Steigerwald and Bob Errey are great hockey minds?

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
sure, this team could win the Cup.

They could also get swept in the 1st round.

I don't know what team people watch that they think beating the Ducks last night changes anything.

This has been the story all year. Nice highs mixed with extreme lows. Trouncings at the hands of the Metros, then perception-altering beatdowns of the West and Atlantic.

The Penguins have spent the past 5 years trying to build a team to win a second cup.

The Capitals, Islanders, and Rangers have spent the same time period building a team to beat the Penguins.

The Pens are probably going to have to go through at least two of those teams to get to the Cup Finals.

The Bottom Six is still a mess. Crosby is still dazed and confused, and, I'm sorry, this is not a comment on the Despres trade, but you have a situation where between 15-20 minutes a night, one Dpair is going to be a ticking timebomb.

The Ducks aren't a great possession team and still murderized Scuderi. Just wait for a few of these other teams to get their hands on him.

Agreed!

Let me add this as well, I was hoping that JR could make 2-3 moves at the deadline that would have greatly enhanced their chances in the east.

One, the Cole trade looks decent so let's keep that.

Two, trading Sutter and something for a bigger center like Berglund or Matthais.

Three, kept Despres. His size would have helped. Or see below with Kunitz and added a young physical wing back from the Ducks.

Four, dumping Kunitz for futures and trade those for Stewart.

Beaviz81

Mar 8, 2015
I'm unsure. You lack the bluechip players. I still wonder why the GM thought it was a brighter idea letting Orpik walk as he was one of few that actually had some presence in the back. Now you see to just have Lapierre as a physical presence while both Malkin and Crosby easily can be rattled.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm unsure. You lack the bluechip players. I still wonder why the GM thought it was a brighter idea letting Orpik walk as he was one of few that actually had some presence in the back. Now you see to just have Lapierre as a physical presence while both Malkin and Crosby easily can be rattled.

Because Orpik had been our worst defender over the last three years. He was awful. Even ignoring the young guys who needed spots, letting Orpik walk was addition by subtraction.

Beaviz81

Mar 8, 2015
Because Orpik had been our worst defender over the last three years. He was awful. Even ignoring the young guys who needed spots, letting Orpik walk was addition by subtraction.

Even if I were to think you were right, which I don't. The physicality Orpik brought is missing and not replaced. But I think Washington overpaid for him 3-4 million would be worth it.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Here's my take:

Yes, we can win a Cup this season. Anything can happen. How likely is it? Well, it's extremely unlikely. Extremely...

Our 3C is way, way too soft and weak physically. That's a huge issue come playoff time. Sutter's knack for being invisible and ineffective for extended periods of time is a recipe for disaster. I think Winnik's great, and I think Bennett is a fine 3rd liner once he starts playing with confidence and stops playing to not lose his job, but Sutter's gonna hold that line--and this team--back, big time. He's one of the most glaring issues with this team, playoffs or not.

Sid's gotta get back to playing Sid hockey first and foremost, if we have any aspirations at all for doing anything in the playoffs. Geno's been playing like a man possessed for weeks now, and Sid needs to find that gear again. Whichever of our two centers spends less time with Kunitz on his line is going to be far, far more effective. Kunitz, much like Sutter, has GOT to go this summer.

Fleury's been unreal, and I hope it translates to playoff hockey. I have my worries that it won't, because playoff hockey is a lot more about scoring in close and our defense isn't build to handle that or to take care of the tough areas (along the boards, in the corners, around the net).

In short: We're getting there, but we're still a ways away. I expect a first round exit, but I'm hoping we pull out a miracle on the backs of Sid, Geno and Fleury.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Even if I were to think you were right, which I don't. The physicality Orpik brought is missing and not replaced. But I think Washington overpaid for him 3-4 million would be worth it.

Well we wouldn't have had him for 3-4 million. And at the time, we had Despres and Bortuzzo.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Here's my take:

Yes, we can win a Cup this season. Anything can happen. How likely is it? Well, it's extremely unlikely. Extremely...

Our 3C is way, way too soft and weak physically. That's a huge issue come playoff time. Sutter's knack for being invisible and ineffective for extended periods of time is a recipe for disaster. I think Winnik's great, and I think Bennett is a fine 3rd liner once he starts playing with confidence and stops playing to not lose his job, but Sutter's gonna hold that line--and this team--back big time. He's one of the most glaring issues with this team, playoffs or not.

Sid's gotta get back to playing Sid hockey first and foremost, if we have any aspirations at all for doing anything in the playoffs. Geno's been playing like a man possessed for weeks now, and Sid needs to find that gear again. Whichever of our two centers spends less time with Kunitz on his line is going to be far, far more effective. Kunitz, much like Sutter, has GOT to go this summer.

Fleury's been unreal, and I hope it translates to playoff hockey. I have my worries that it won't, because playoff hockey is a lot more about scoring in close and our defense isn't build to handle that or to take care of the tough areas (along the boards, in the corners, around the net).

In short: We're getting there, but we're still a ways away. I expect a first round exit, but I'm hoping we pull out a miracle on the backs of Sid, Geno and Fleury.

You have certainly hit on the correct weaknesses of this team. But I have to ask, which teams in the east do you think are ahead of us in terms of their chances to win the Cup?

IMO, looking at the current matchups for the first round, there is not a single team that should be considered a strong favorite to win their first round series. Whoever plays the 8th seed is the closest, but can you really count out Boston in a playoff series?

Moose Lips

Aug 15, 2006
East Berlin

The only physicality/toughness/grit Orpik contributed was in his hit count.

With that, the Pens as a Team finished last season 8th overall in hits. Currently the Pens reside in 6th spot in overall Team hits, although the gap between 6-8 is a rather small one.

Averaging 30.7 hits per game this season as to last seasons 26.4 per...

Last edited:

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Can the Pens win the SC, possibly. My thinking is they simply have to play with a defense that is just OK. The NHL is moving back to the interference and grabbing that effects the skating. Pens won last night but the Kings were physical and over a long series, that is a concern. Pens will have to play at a level of intensity they haven't played at in a couple of years. But MJ at least will coach to gain line advantages and in game decisions to gain an edge. Something Bylsma never did and in hockey playoffs, that matters.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
You have certainly hit on the correct weaknesses of this team. But I have to ask, which teams in the east do you think are ahead of us in terms of their chances to win the Cup?

IMO, looking at the current matchups for the first round, there is not a single team that should be considered a strong favorite to win their first round series. Whoever plays the 8th seed is the closest, but can you really count out Boston in a playoff series?

Well, I think the Habs come out of the East. As far as potential opponents for us, I think any of the NY teams would be very, very difficult for us to beat in a playoff series.

I do not feel confident in this team against the Rangers, Isles, Caps, Bruins or Habs. I'd be most comfortable against Tampa or Detroit.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Well, I think the Habs come out of the East. As far as potential opponents for us, I think any of the NY teams would be very, very difficult for us to beat in a playoff series.

I do not feel confident in this team against the Rangers, Isles, Caps, Bruins or Habs. I'd be most comfortable against Tampa or Detroit.

I don't feel confident in beating them either. But if I were them, I wouldn't be confident in beating us. I think any of the teams you just listed are about 50/50 against any of the other teams. I think we have as good a shot as anybody of coming out of the east. Nobody has a great shot, but I think its pretty equal straight across the board.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I don't get why everyone is so high on the Isles. They're fast and deep up front. Beyond that, they're not Cup caliber.

I'd worry more about the Caps and Rangers.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'd rather see them play the Isles than Mon. I'm not sure why people think Mon would be an easier matchup. They are extremely well coached and Price would torture the Pens.

Historically, the Pens always struggle agt Montreal in the playoffs as well. This is a team that made the conference finals and IMHO would have beaten the Rags if Price was healthy.

Beaviz81

Mar 8, 2015
Montreal is the last team I would face if I were you with that stifling defense to neutralize Crosby and Malkin nevermind Carey Price. In fact from what I gather they are the favorite to win the Cup, and seriously not a team you should want to face.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Montreal is the last team I would face if I were you with that stifling defense to neutralize Crosby and Malkin nevermind Carey Price. In fact from what I gather they are the favorite to win the Cup, and seriously not a team you should want to face.

Disagree heavily. Stifling defense? More like a good first pairing and average from 3-6.

IMO the Pens can and will beat anyone in the East except the New York teams. They would be 50/50 against the Isles, and the Rangers would be favourites against the Pens.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
Of all the Eastern/Metro teams, the one I'm most afraid of are the Pens themselves. If the right version of the Pens show up to play, I don't think there isn't an Eastern team we can't beat barring a crazy hot goalie. If we get the version that showed up some games this season, I don't think there's any team we can beat.

I'd probably want to meet the Habs least with how Carey Price has been all season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad