This team can win the Stanley Cup this year.

deczola

Jan 21, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
So many negative posters here, so many crazy comments about players who play solid roles being garbage etc etc etc

This team is VASTLY BETTER than last year.

Let's start off in net. This season MAF has played about as well as he had in his career. But when we talk about him we only think postseason. In past years I was horrified at him being our backstop but something changed this year, maybe the DB cancer leaving was what he needed. Mike J runs a more structured system and MAF has flourished this year. I'm expecting him to play as well in the regular season as this coming postseason. Our backup is better from last year. He fights off everything and never looks truly solid in net but he has fight in him. We are better here than last year.

Defense: No more Engelland, he was a truly awful D man. No more Borts, who I once thought could be solid but just runs around the ice looking for hits and playing bad D. No more Despres, no more waiting for him to be something, no more having to watch him play dumb hockey like Borts. Letang is greatly improved and healthy from last year, too many negative things said about him here (Cole) when every team in the NHL would love to have him. Martin is still rock solid. Cole is an ok #6 D man. Lovejoy is better suited for our team. Scuds does what they pay him for. DP I truly believe we will see great things from within two seasons. Erhoff is another solid puck mover when IF healthy will help this team. Last year we had Matt N who was greatly overpaid by Caps and is over rated and Orpik who was better than given credit for. This D core is better than last year due to no longer having to run out DE and RB. If we had Maata this would be a near elite D core.

Offense: We are light years better here than last year. I think our bottom six last year was Sutter, Adams, Glass, Vitale, Stepniak and Gibbons. That was painful to type. Sutter is a solid #3 center, does his D role well, if he ever had strength this dude would be perfect for this role. Tanner Glass was garbage. Gibbons had speed and that's it. Vitale was a borderline #4 center on his best day. Only Step I rated as solid. We no longer will have to watch Neal commit dumb penalties in the playoffs.....praise the lord. Perron will get some post season goals for us. Hornqvist was traded for what he can bring in the postseason than what he can bring during the regular season. Kunitz will be his normal unselfish self. Players like Winnik and Comeau will chip in some goals. BB has been playing a solid game recently, eventually he will get some points. Maxim/Adams/Downie each bring a certain aspect to their game and they are our rotation as our 11th and 12th players. Spaling is solid for what he is.

Coaching is light years better than last years.

You need a lot of things to go right to win a Cup. You need solid play in all three zones, someone solid in net, luck (some bounces) and not the greatest talent, but a group of players that have an ability to chip in towards making it all happen.

This team heading into the postseason is a few steps better than the team last year. I know we look bad at times and play some bad hockey in the months of Jan and Feb, but let me remind you that the Kings were hard pressed to score 2 goals during a long stretch last year and they won the Cup. I've been around long enough to know that Cups are not won in February but in April/May/June.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
They are better but so are many in the East. Pretty much all of the playoff teams will pose a good challenge.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Good OP but the reason Marc-André Fleury is better is because he has more poise and strong technique (read: new goalie coach). ;)

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
They're better than they were last year, sure. But the roster is still outclassed by several teams in the east. If they're gonna make a run the cup it will be an uphill slog.

Acquizitor*

I think the Pens either go all the way this year or crash and burn in the first round.

The first line has to step up imo, Sid's last year's form is absolutely necessary for the Pens to make a chance, I hope he gets there.

The Pens have my total approval and I command Sid to raise the Cup again ;)

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
If we can get past the east (read: Rags & Isles), we're gonna win this this one 'cause we're a better match against the west.

Funny fact, the habs are better against the east (except for us and lol ...bottom feeders) but they suck big time against the west.

So, our 'cup' is basically being able to get out of the east...

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
If we can get past the east (read: Rags), we're gonna win this one.

...as opposed to the habs who suck against bottom feeders and the west.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The best teams in the east are all really close to one another imo. I don't think any of Pens, Caps, NYR, NYI, Montreal or Tampa have shown clear separation from one another this year. Any of those teams beating any other of those teams would be hard to call an upset regardless of the round they meet. Any of those teams could win the Cup. Any of them could lose in the first round without it being much of an upset. Hell, Detroit probably belongs in that bunch as well.

Basically, I think a first round loss is about as likely as making it out of the East because I'm not convinced that the team we'd be playing in the ECF will be any better than the team we play in the first round. If Boston takes the 8 spot, I don't think there's going to be one easy out in the east.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
any team has a chance to win the cup. and when you have sid, geno and others you have a better chance than a lot of others. imo

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
Make the playoffs, you have a chance to win the Cup. I want to see how they play in March/April before I determine how likely they are to make a run.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
no idea how Johnston actually is as a coach until you see what he does in a series. that's where bylsma went from frustrating but adequate to useless.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
We certainly have the players to do it but so do a lot of other teams. Its so wide open in the East. Its going to take a combination of health, getting hot (especially Fleury) at the right time, match ups, lines, Sid/Geno etc. I guess just like other years.

It seems like Geno is the guy to lift us up this post season. I want him to have better line mates. Perron and Bennett would suit his game perfectly. Now that leaves Sid with either Kunitz, Comeau as 1LW. Winnik would be a guy Id try out too. Great with the puck and he doesnt mind a shot. This is a team I want to see:

Winnik-Crosby-Hornqvist
Perron-Malkin-Bennett
Kunitz-Spaling-Comeau
Lapierre-Sutter-Downie

Martin-Letang
Pouliot-Lovejoy
Ehrhoff-Cole

Last edited:

PeterTZ

Fr Crosby's hm town
Dec 10, 2014
Edmonton
I dislike saying it for the jinx factor only but the potential is there.

Last night's game is an indicator that this team can make a solid run. If they get good goaltending from both and the offensive players hit their stride at the right time, then it's possible. Getting through the East is critical of course. Not getting shut down by a hot team playing above their pay grade, such as the Wild who have been shutting down everyone and scoring just enough to win.

Geno is reliable and will do his part in scoring. Sidney might not produce as much but adds another factor that doesn't become a statistic. He gets double teamed a lot just because he's such a playmaker. The others on his line have to take advantage of that and score.

Tighten up team D and there's a legit shot. Across the league, it's hard to look at any team and see a clear front runner. It's going to come down to who gets hot at the right time and which coaches can motivate the best.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Honestly the East is though, anything is possible and match ups IMP this year don't mean much. The power is there, Geno looks like he is ready for a playoff run, I just hope Sid has another gear which he is keeping for a long run.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
I dunno. Haven't we seen MJ routinely outcoached in the East?
That problem will get a zillion times worse in a 7game series.
Sorry not to be a Debbie Downer....

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
My biggest fears remain:

1) Running into a hot goalie (ie. Price or Henrik)

2) Running into a team that plays a tight defensive system

3) Running into a team with more speed than us

Basically the same concerns I have every year come playoff time. We are still a team that can't seem to overcome the trap, or a team that effectively knows how to take the boards away from us. We're slightly faster than previous years, but not by much, so speed will continue to be a concern. Then of course there's always the possibility of running into that nuissance of a hot goalie that will just absolutely stonewall us, thereby frustrating the hell out of Sid in particular...

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I dunno. Haven't we seen MJ routinely outcoached in the East?
That problem will get a zillion times worse in a 7game series.
Sorry not to be a Debbie Downer....

Mostly against division rivals, yes. It seems that they've all caught on that the best way to beat us is by taking the boards away from us. For some reason MJ has taken a while to catch on as well...

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
We certainly have the players to do it but so do a lot of other teams. Its so wide open in the East. Its going to take a combination of health, getting hot (especially Fleury) at the right time, match ups, lines, Sid/Geno etc. I guess just like other years.

It seems like Geno is the guy to lift us up this post season. I want him to have better line mates. Perron and Bennett would suit his game perfectly. Now that leaves Sid with either Kunitz, Comeau as 1LW. Winnik would be a guy Id try out too. Great with the puck and he doesnt mind a shot. This is a team I want to see:

Winnik-Crosby-Hornqvist
Perron-Malkin-Bennett
Kunitz-Spaling-Comeau
Lapierre-Sutter-Downie

Martin-Letang
Pouliot-Lovejoy
Ehrhoff-Cole

Id actually be very open to trying Winnik in that role, just to see how it works. Someone of his talents could really bring that gritty dimension that Sid hasn't had on his wing since Kuni's earlier years. Might be just what he needs to do his job more effectively.

I have my doubts about Bennett ever being promoted back to Geno's wing however.

Acquizitor*

My biggest fears remain:

1) Running into a hot goalie (ie. Price or Henrik)

2) Running into a team that plays a tight defensive system

3) Running into a team with more speed than us

Basically the same concerns I have every year come playoff time. We are still a team that can't seem to overcome the trap, or a team that effectively knows how to take the boards away from us. We're slightly faster than previous years, but not by much, so speed will continue to be a concern. Then of course there's always the possibility of running into that nuissance of a hot goalie that will just absolutely stonewall us, thereby frustrating the hell out of Sid in particular...

there are more concerns such as :

- fleury
- emotional instability of the Pens. geno/sid in particular.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
there are more concerns such as :

- fleury
- emotional instability of the Pens. geno/sid in particular.

Yes Fleury is always a concern, this year though I must admit he has been better then in the past few regular seasons. Seems a lot more in control of his rebounds and doesn't slide from one side to the other without reaching the side boards!!! Moves much better.

I want to see the reaction and type of game from this team after a loss, since the Habs series in 2010 this team hasn't had answers after a loss. That's what I want to see, I hope that's where a guy like Winnik makes a big positive difference

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
So many negative posters here, so many crazy comments about players who play solid roles being garbage etc etc etc

This team is VASTLY BETTER than last year.

Let's start off in net. This season MAF has played about as well as he had in his career. But when we talk about him we only think postseason. In past years I was horrified at him being our backstop but something changed this year, maybe the DB cancer leaving was what he needed. Mike J runs a more structured system and MAF has flourished this year. I'm expecting him to play as well in the regular season as this coming postseason. Our backup is better from last year. He fights off everything and never looks truly solid in net but he has fight in him. We are better here than last year.

Defense: No more Engelland, he was a truly awful D man. No more Borts, who I once thought could be solid but just runs around the ice looking for hits and playing bad D. No more Despres, no more waiting for him to be something, no more having to watch him play dumb hockey like Borts. Letang is greatly improved and healthy from last year, too many negative things said about him here (Cole) when every team in the NHL would love to have him. Martin is still rock solid. Cole is an ok #6 D man. Lovejoy is better suited for our team. Scuds does what they pay him for. DP I truly believe we will see great things from within two seasons. Erhoff is another solid puck mover when IF healthy will help this team. Last year we had Matt N who was greatly overpaid by Caps and is over rated and Orpik who was better than given credit for. This D core is better than last year due to no longer having to run out DE and RB. If we had Maata this would be a near elite D core.

Offense: We are light years better here than last year. I think our bottom six last year was Sutter, Adams, Glass, Vitale, Stepniak and Gibbons. That was painful to type. Sutter is a solid #3 center, does his D role well, if he ever had strength this dude would be perfect for this role. Tanner Glass was garbage. Gibbons had speed and that's it. Vitale was a borderline #4 center on his best day. Only Step I rated as solid. We no longer will have to watch Neal commit dumb penalties in the playoffs.....praise the lord. Perron will get some post season goals for us. Hornqvist was traded for what he can bring in the postseason than what he can bring during the regular season. Kunitz will be his normal unselfish self. Players like Winnik and Comeau will chip in some goals. BB has been playing a solid game recently, eventually he will get some points. Maxim/Adams/Downie each bring a certain aspect to their game and they are our rotation as our 11th and 12th players. Spaling is solid for what he is.

Coaching is light years better than last years.

You need a lot of things to go right to win a Cup. You need solid play in all three zones, someone solid in net, luck (some bounces) and not the greatest talent, but a group of players that have an ability to chip in towards making it all happen.

This team heading into the postseason is a few steps better than the team last year. I know we look bad at times and play some bad hockey in the months of Jan and Feb, but let me remind you that the Kings were hard pressed to score 2 goals during a long stretch last year and they won the Cup. I've been around long enough to know that Cups are not won in February but in April/May/June.

Our offensive depth is better, but our defense is worse this year. I'll take Maatta and Niskanen over Lovejoy and Ehrhoff every day of the week.

The Pens could win the Cup. Hell, any playoff team could, and the Pens come equipped with the two best forwards in the league every year so they can never be counted out.

But they have to use the pieces they have properly, and unlike last year, they routinely get their ***** handed to them by teams in their division, so they need to find a way to adjust to teams who are familiar with them.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
This team isn't built to win 4 playoff series. Not enough youth and not enough physicality. Could they make the Conference finals? Yes, but highly inlikely.

Acquizitor*

Yes Fleury is always a concern, this year though I must admit he has been better then in the past few regular seasons. Seems a lot more in control of his rebounds and doesn't slide from one side to the other without reaching the side boards!!! Moves much better.

I want to see the reaction and type of game from this team after a loss, since the Habs series in 2010 this team hasn't had answers after a loss. That's what I want to see, I hope that's where a guy like Winnik makes a big positive difference

I think the first two lines may need some additional reshuffling of the wingers for 71/87, things could be better imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad