This team can win the Stanley Cup this year.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
We are probably on the lower half of the list but we are by no way blown out of the water by any of them. In the end of day we need Malkin, Crosby, Letang, & Fleury to be great to win anything.

Pen's

Winnik-Sutter-Bennett
Spalling-Lappy-Downie

Caps

Chimera-Fehr-Ward
Laich-Kuznetsov-Wilson

Rangers

Hagelin-Hayes-JT Miller
Sheppard-Moore-Fast

Isles

Kulemin-Strome-McDonald
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

Habs

Eller-La Rose-DSP
Prust-Flyynn-Mitchell

Tampa

Paquette-Flippula-Drouin
Boyle-Namestnikov-Morrow

Wings

Weiss-Sheahan-Nyquist
Miller-Anderson-Jurco

Where's Adams?

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
We won't know until the playoffs. People here are always complaining. When we loose to metro they say we are going to loose during the PO, when we win during the reg season they say reg season means nothing. I personnaly think that Reg season means nothing in both situations, I'm waiting for the playoffs and I'm confident that like the other Eastern Teams, we have a good shot at the Cup.

Stanley Cup is coming home this year, just wait for it :)

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
sure, this team could win the Cup.

They could also get swept in the 1st round.

I don't know what team people watch that they think beating the Ducks last night changes anything.

This has been the story all year. Nice highs mixed with extreme lows. Trouncings at the hands of the Metros, then perception-altering beatdowns of the West and Atlantic.

The Penguins have spent the past 5 years trying to build a team to win a second cup.

The Capitals, Islanders, and Rangers have spent the same time period building a team to beat the Penguins.

The Pens are probably going to have to go through at least two of those teams to get to the Cup Finals.

The Bottom Six is still a mess. Crosby is still dazed and confused, and, I'm sorry, this is not a comment on the Despres trade, but you have a situation where between 15-20 minutes a night, one Dpair is going to be a ticking timebomb.

The Ducks aren't a great possession team and still murderized Scuderi. Just wait for a few of these other teams to get their hands on him.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
We are probably on the lower half of the list but we are by no way blown out of the water by any of them. In the end of day we need Malkin, Crosby, Letang, & Fleury to be great to win anything.

Ya, and that is just always going to be the case with how we are built.

I just don't see any other team in the east who is clearly better than us. We aren't on top of the pack, but we are right in it with 6 other teams. Some really good teams are going to go out in the first round this year.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
any team could win a SC. it's math...

on the other hand lol @ those comparing 2015 NHL with 2009 NHL.

yes, any team could win. But not every team has the same odds. I don't think any team in the east has a significantly better chance than we do.

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
How would you describe the pens bottom six?

Just because the group is an improvement from previous years when the pens had the worst bottom six in the league does not mean the penguins bottom six is any good.

It's mediocre, and weak compared to other playoff clubs.

Winnik-Sutter-Bennett
Spaling-Lappiere-Downie
*Adams

Pretty good bottom 6

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
This built for playoff hockey thing is such non sense. Any style can win the Cup. We made two cup finals runs and won one with poorer scoring depth than we have now.

People are just so set on the Kings and Bruins being the example of how to win in the playoffs now when they forget not long before that there was the Pens, Wings, Canes winning cups.

You don't need a team of big grindy oafs to win a cup. There's any number of ways to do it. You just have to be a good team, whatever your style is. And we are a good team.

You don't have to play a particular style to win in the playoffs, but you have to play to your strengths effectively. What are the penguins strengths? They are a vanilla team with no intangibles.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Ya, and that is just always going to be the case with how we are built.

I just don't see any other team in the east who is clearly better than us. We aren't on top of the pack, but we are right in it with 6 other teams. Some really good teams are going to go out in the first round this year.

Right now it would be.

Hab vs Boston: Boston would not be that big of an upset, having a bad season. Didn't improve all that much.

Detroit vs Tampa: Should be a good series.

Islanders vs Caps: Another good series.
Pens vs NYR's: A good 1st round match up, the key is to disrupt Lundqvist and get to that dirty area.

That's 3 of 4 series that will see a good team go down, and it will take a Boston upset to give a chance to see all four series lose a good to great team.

The Pens had to battle out of the first two rounds until they got to an inferior Hurricane team in 09.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Right now it would be.

Hab vs Boston: Boston would not be that big of an upset, having a bad season. Didn't improve all that much.

Detroit vs Tampa: Should be a good series.

Islanders vs Caps: Another good series.
Pens vs NYR's: A good 1st round match up, the key is to disrupt Lundqvist and get to that dirty area.

That's 3 of 4 series that will see a good team go down, and it will take a Boston upset to give a chance to see all four series lose a good to great team.

The Pens had to battle out of the first two rounds until they got to an inferior Hurricane team in 09.

Exactly. There are 7 teams in the East that I think have just as much a chance to lose in the first round as they have of making the finals. And honestly, in a normal year a team like this Boston team would be getting described as a nightmare first round matchup and clear upset candidate for whoever gets the 1st seed. Everyone else is just so close that they are being looked at as the odd man out.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
I've said it here before, I am incredibly confident that the Pens can beat any western team in the SCF but I am far less confident that they will actually be able to get there.

Eastern playoff teams have been very weak compared to western teams for years now. I think we are seeing a major shift this season, every team in the east is much stronger and I believe all could compete with any western team. I don't want to dismiss any teams but I am only confident in 3-4 western teams in their ability to win the Cup this year, whoever it will be will take a three round beating to get there.

I agree with all you said above. But for the Pens to get the cup, the following all must happen, MAF, Sid, Geno and Letang all must play lights out. Not one, two, or Three but all four. And the two weakest links on the team, Adams and Scuds must not hit the ice during the playoffs. But being realistic, all of this isn't going to happen.
West this year is overrated and is living off of last years reputation. NYI, NYR, MTL, and even the Craps would beat any team in the West. The Pens biggest problem is getting out of the first round.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
You know what kind of teams win the Stanley Cup?

Resilient ones.

No matter what we say about the Pens improving here or there, they haven't shown me they are a resilient team this season.

It's not about size, physicality or having the most talent, because the Pens are mostly fine in these areas, despite the nonsense that they are some soft, talentless squad.

When the Pens go down a goal like they did agt Colorado, ask yourself how you feel about them overcoming a small deficit like that. I'm not sure if they have won a single game when being down a goal or more going into the third period all season.

They have yet to show me they are a resilient bunch, and I'm 100% sure they won't win a cup unless they adapt that type of personality and show the will to overcome every roadblock put in their way. So it shouldn't matter what teams are in their way. They shouldn't need to play a lucky series of teams to get to the Finals. Resiliency doesn't work that way.

We'll see how it plays out, but as we currently stand, this is not a resilient team. If you believe they are, you are lying to yourself.

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014

Resilient ones.

No matter what we say about the Pens improving here or there, they haven't shown me they are a resilient team this season.

It's not about size, physicality or having the most talent, because the Pens are mostly fine in these areas, despite the nonsense that they are some soft, talentless squad.

When the Pens go down a goal like they did agt Colorado, ask yourself how you feel about them overcoming a small deficit like that. I'm not sure if they have won a single game when being down a goal or more going into the third period all season.

They have yet to show me they are a resilient bunch, and I'm 100% sure they won't win a cup unless they adapt that type of personality and show the will to overcome every roadblock put in their way. So it shouldn't matter what teams are in their way. They shouldn't need to play a lucky series of teams to get to the Finals. Resiliency doesn't work that way.

We'll see how it plays out, but as we currently stand, this is not a resilient team. If you believe they are, you are lying to yourself.

They didn't (0-11-4). They had also the least number of games where they were trailing after 2nd.

Sutter16

Aug 17, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
The Penguins have some nice pieces in their bottom 6. Bennett, Downie, Winnik are all legit 3rd line wingers. Spaling is overpaid, but is a decent 4th liner. Sutter and Lapierre are just awful players. If we had 2 bottom 6 centers better than the two we currently have, then I'd like our chances a lot more.

In terms of who's the favorite in the East, it's clearly the Rangers IMO with probably the Red Wings in second. I think the Pens are 4th or 5th best team in the East. But if some things go our way, who knows what can happen. The playoffs are a completely differently animal and are about as wide open this year as it's ever been.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Sure they could win it all, in my opinion the pens are a solid contender and in many ways have improved over previous years. That being said, it's been a while since we have seen Sid and/geno take over and dominate a key playoff matchup, which is exactly what we need to have happen.

I expect the Rangers to return to the finals, but I don't count the Pens out.

I don't get my hopes up anymore, hope for a cup expect a 2nd/3rd round exit. I expected a repeat in 2010 and it's gone downhill from there so I temper my expectations so as to avoid needless frustration.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Resilient ones.

I would like to know why you are so convinced that the Pens are not soft and are fine with size and physicality.

Because I see a team that consistently gets rattled when teams play physical against them.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
I agree with all you said above. But for the Pens to get the cup, the following all must happen, MAF, Sid, Geno and Letang all must play lights out. Not one, two, or Three but all four. And the two weakest links on the team, Adams and Scuds must not hit the ice during the playoffs. But being realistic, all of this isn't going to happen.
West this year is overrated and is living off of last years reputation. NYI, NYR, MTL, and even the Craps would beat any team in the West. The Pens biggest problem is getting out of the first round.

Just to highlight one of your errors, have you any idea what's our record against the west?

Bonus factoid: the habs totally blow toad lickin' goats when they play the west so next time, check out the things called FACTS. ;)

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I would like to know why you are so convinced that the Pens are not soft and are fine with size and physicality.

Because I see a team that consistently gets rattled when teams play physical against them.

Because people get agendas in their head and don't quite understand what physicality actually is.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

Resilient ones.

RESILIENT this team is not. They went I think 13 or so games losing after trailing after first two periods. the funniest part of this statistic was when Yohe brought this up at the presser and asked MJ he acted as he never heard of that and he was genuinly surprised by that fact, I mean we are talking about friggin Head Coach here

That's why they will not go anywhere in these POs...

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Winnik-Sutter-Bennett
Spaling-Lappiere-Downie
*Adams

Pretty good bottom 6

see, this sounds more of a wishful thinking, I am shocke how people value these players. W-S-B line is going to fall apart, Sutter is awful 5 on 5, they are hoping Winnik will help him out and carry him, but it will be probably the other way around

the 4th line center is awful, I have no idea how people value his game, I thought he is coming to be a sand paper, I yet to see that, he is awful with possesion, actually Spaling and Downie could be decent wings if they have a better center to play with

Anyway, I am an eternal pessimist, so will see what happens

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Interesting since you quoted me when you made that response. My bad I guess.

How would it be interesting when you quoted me, then asked a question?

Who else should I have quoted when replying?

This is a pretty odd conversation bro....

RESILIENT this team is not. They went I think 13 or so games losing after trailing after first two periods. the funniest part of this statistic was when Yohe brought this up at the presser and asked MJ he acted as he never heard of that and he was genuinly surprised by that fact, I mean we are talking about friggin Head Coach here

That's why they will not go anywhere in these POs...

I just don't think the most optimistic among us can call this team anything remotely close to resilient.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad