Post-Game Talk: This... Sucks. Leafs 2, Sabres 3

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
OT goal was lucky

Puck goes right between Gunnar's skate

okay sure. do you think that being taken to OT by the worst team in the league, a little over a week after losing to them, at the tail end of a week in which you got blown out by a poor Columbus team and coughed up two leads to Pittsburgh, is at all troubling? like as potentially an indication that the Leafs are a deeply flawed team?

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
OT goal was lucky

Puck goes right between Gunnar's skate

oPtXtas.gif

Wow... that's a really bad break for us.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
If you try building a team by looking at points and salaries, you are going to fail.

what do you think the best way to evaluate what a player is worth? forgetting for a second that you don't think it matters what a player is "worth", how do you tell if they are good or not?

by watching that player play, right?

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Chemistry is a tricky thing. More so on the Leafs because of the pressure in Toronto than any other city.

Obscure examples like Kristich and Kubina and Reichel come to mind where public perception and derision fell quickly initially on these players, only to see these same players praised appropriately after a reasonable time had passed to get use to this impossible market.

And to that example, twelve minutes before and after Game 7, we praised Carlyle and vented spleen on Reimer...Fast forward to November of the same year and...

It's not the losing that bothers me most now, it's fans contriving inconsistent complaint as something authentically loyal that bothers me most.

And the absolute best piece of evidence to that end playing right now?

Jonas Gustavsson.

His name should become mantra around here when the urge to expound after a loss surfaces.

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
That basing expectations off of salaries is stupid? I hope so.

:laugh: Clarkson >>>> Armstrong

Maybe in Salary.
But they are essentially the same player, Armstrong much better skater.

They both bring grit and leadership. Stats wise is even, but if you are counting best years, Armstrong wins.

(Problem with Armstrong was he acquired the Collaocoivo disease).

All in all, Clarkson is Colby v2.0.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
what do you think the best way to evaluate what a player is worth? forgetting for a second that you don't think it matters what a player is "worth", how do you tell if they are good or not?

by watching that player play, right?

Yes.

If David Clarkson isn't on the score sheet, he is doing other things to improve the team. Hitting, going hard in the corners, etc.

If Grabovski isn't scoring, he isn't much use.

Grabovski really can only play in one role (scoring). Clarkson can play 3 (scoring, checking, shutdown).

It's a reason why Bozak was kept over Grabovski. Because he can play multiple roles. Reason why we brought in Bolland, he can play multiple roles. It's why people like Kulemin, because multiple roles. It's what makes Dion so good, he switched from shutdown guy, to offensive guy shift by shift, game by game

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Not sure if serious, or on drugs???

Role players are the guys you win cups with. I'm serious, and 100% right.

If you don't have any checkers, any fore checkers, any board guys, any role players, you won't be in the playoffs at all. You NEED the 20-30 point guys to be successful.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Yes.

If David Clarkson isn't on the score sheet, he is doing other things to improve the team. Hitting, going hard in the corners, etc.

If Grabovski isn't scoring, he isn't much use.

Grabovski really can only play in one role (scoring). Clarkson can play 3 (scoring, checking, shutdown).

It's a reason why Bozak was kept over Grabovski. Because he can play multiple roles. Reason why we brought in Bolland, he can play multiple roles. It's why people like Kulemin, because multiple roles. It's what makes Dion so good, he switched from shutdown guy, to offensive guy shift by shift, game by game

what made last season and this season so far a success? like when you say that the Leafs were successful the first season after Grabovski's role was diminished, what makes you say that last season was a success? how do you judge that?

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010

If you don't have any checkers, any fore checkers, any board guys, any role players, you won't be in the playoffs at all. You NEED the 20-30 point guys to be successful.

I agree, role players are needed to win the stanley cup but show me a 3rd liner on any of the stanley cup winning team that makes 5.25 MIL, to become a contender you need to manage your cap. This is not the Sundin era where we can out spend and money bag every half ass free agent.

GifKing*

Oct 24, 2013
Chemistry is a tricky thing. More so on the Leafs because of the pressure in Toronto than any other city.

Obscure examples like Kristich and Kubina and Reichel come to mind where public perception and derision fell quickly initially on these players, only to see these same players praised appropriately after a reasonable time had passed to get use to this impossible market.

And to that example, twelve minutes before and after Game 7, we praised Carlyle and vented spleen on Reimer...Fast forward to November of the same year and...

It's not the losing that bothers me most now, it's fans contriving inconsistent complaint as something authentically loyal that bothers me most.

And the absolute best piece of evidence to that end playing right now?

Jonas Gustavsson.

His name should become mantra around here when the urge to expound after a loss surfaces.

Were you on top of your horse while overlooking the ocean side with your long hair blowing in the wind there grammar man ? We got blown out by the sabres. Quit flappin your gums mr.harvard with your intellectual talk. Nobody talks like that. Who you trying to impress here ?

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland

role players combined with a bunch of more important players who aren't referred to as "role players" because they do more than one thing well.

Mapleleafs Fan*

Leafs new game trend. Lose the stick in your own zone. It makes me laugh every time I see highlights our players are without stick. Anyways it proves that Buffalo coach XXX is better than Carlyle lmao. He actually did it twice with losers.

Are we in the same category as Edmonton and Buffalo?

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Carlyle missused Grabo. Just because you are sick of hearing it doesn't make it false. It was the truth and is still the truth.

I can't believe people are still going on about his poor production last year. Grabo played some of the hardest minutes of any center in the league. Look it up, he was right up with the likes of Backes, Steen, Zetterberg, and Sutter in quality of competition. And his offensive zone starts were 12th lowest in the league. Right down with guys like McClement, Couturier, Sutter, etc. 36% of his shifts started in the offensive zone vs defensive, when the average is 50%. He was used strictly in a defensive role.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad