Value of: This Leafs Package

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Sandin and kapanen are big and valuable pieces. But just because Toronto overpaid for Barrie doesnt mean another team will offer a 1st+ decent prospect for one dimensional UFA barrie.

I suggest you look up past trade deadlines then and bring yourself up to speed on what teams pay for one dimensional d-man like Barrie. You won't have to look hard to find examples. I've already listed two here and they both returned more than that.

Reactions: WillyNy

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
You will not get a #1 Dman for that

Sandin being ED exempt helps. Sandin is not projectedas atop 2 Dman.

You can get a strong 2nd pair Dman
The point still stands that historically a pkg like this is as much or more than most actual trades for established #1D
1. John Carlson, WSH (SAME)
2. Roman Josi, NSH (SAME)
3. Alex Pietrangelo, STL* (SAME)
4. Cale Makar, COL (SAME)
5. Victor Hedman, TBL (SAME)
6. Kris Letang, PIT (SAME)
7. Shea Weber, MTL (INJ.)
8. Tyson Barrie, TOR* (+1)
9. Quinn Hughes, VAN (+1)
10. Torey Krug, BOS* (+3)
11. Zach Werenski, CBJ (SAME)
12. Keith Yandle, FLA (SAME)
13. Shea Theodore, VGK (+3)
14. Rasmus Dahlin, BUF (DTD)
15. Mark Giordano, CGY (+4)
16. Ryan Ellis, NSH (NEW - INJ.)
17. John Klingberg, DAL (-2)
18. Neal Pionk, WPG (SAME)
19. Seth Jones, CBJ (+1)
20. Jeff Petry, MTL (+1)
21. Brent Burns, SJS (-14)
22. Erik Karlsson, SJS (-8)
23. Oscar Klefbom, EDM (+10)
24. Erik Gustafsson, CHI* (+10)
25. Tony DeAngelo, NYR** (SAME)
26. Jacob Trouba, NYR (-4)
27. Mattias Ekholm, NSH (-1)
28. Jaccob Slavin, CAR (+2)
29. Thomas Chabot, OTT (SAME)
30. Oliver Ekman-Larsson, ARI (DTD)
31. Ivan Provorov, PHI (-8)
32. Ryan Suter, MIN (-5)
33. Mikhail Sergachev, TBL** (-2)
34. Miro Heiskanen, DAL (-2)
35. Ryan Graves, COL (+7)
36. Adam Fox, NYR (SAME)
37. Aaron Ekblad, FLA (+2)
38. Alexander Edler, VAN (-10)
39. Rasmus Ristolainen, BUF (-2)
40. Jake Muzzin, TOR* (-2)
41. Mike Matheson, FLA (+3)
42. Drew Doughty, LAK (+1)
43. Jared Spurgeon, MIN (+2)
44. Samuel Girard, COL (-9)
45. Rasmus Sandin, TOR (-5)
46. Darnell Nurse, EDM** (+1)
47. Kevin Shattenkirk, TBL* (-1)
48. Nikita Zadorov, COL** (NEW)
49. Damon Severson, NJD (NEW)
50. Matt Niskanen, PHI (NEW)

I grabbed the NHL top 50 fantasy list for a quick reference and IMO there 10 D on the list I trade that pkg for

Reactions: slimbob8

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
So show me an example of a package this valuable being traded then? I've given comparables, not perfect, but still comparables. I doubt you'll find any comparables in the other direction any time recently.

We know Barrie's worth because there's plenty of comparables (Shattenkirk, Yandle, etc.). He would return a 1st plus a decent prospect at the very minimum. Sandin is a top 10 prospect in the entire league; Button had him 6th. So he's obviously worth a 1st+ at a minimum. Kappy is a young, 20 goal scorer on a great contract capable of killing penalties. Many teams would give up a 1st+ for him without a doubt.

Add that all up and that's the biggest package you would see in a trade in quite some time. So it should be obvious why anything other than a star wouldn't move the needle here. People throwing out things like a good 2nd pairing d-man for that is delusional.

I didn’t say anything about their trade value other than they wouldn’t return an elite player with term. That’s also why we don’t see packages like this traded cause it wouldn’t make sense to trade them for anything other than an elite player with term.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
flip Barrie to Edmonton for Gagner (Dump) + 1st + good prospect

Yeah... no. Oilers don't need Barrie (and nobody is paying that much for a UFA Barrie either).

Oilers need a LW (or RW) for McDavid. That package (1st + Broberg/Bouchar) nets a Rakell-type which is exactly what the Oilers need not a UFA offensive D-man.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
LA kings, quite easily among others.

They get Sandin + Kap then flip Barrie to Edmonton for Gagner (Dump) + 1st + good prospect

pretty sure habs would easily do it for weber. sharks would move eithe rone of burhns/karlsson, zona probably would move OEL for that haul

have you not seen Sandin play this year? he is probably the best D prospect not named Byram (2-4 pretty close with him, romanov and boqvist)

+ Barrie at 2.75 AND Kapanen locked up to a sweetheart 3.2 deal. thats a HUGE package

La would pass on this offer Its not even close to whats needed to get Drew

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

They get Sandin + Kap then flip Barrie to Edmonton for Gagner (Dump) + 1st + good prospect

pretty sure habs would easily do it for weber. sharks would move eithe rone of burhns/karlsson, zona probably would move OEL for that haul

have you not seen Sandin play this year? he is probably the best D prospect not named Byram (2-4 pretty close with him, romanov and boqvist)

+ Barrie at 2.75 AND Kapanen locked up to a sweetheart 3.2 deal. thats a HUGE package

You are completely divorced from reality. You think Barrie commands that kind of return from Edmonton? Or anyone?

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
The point still stands that historically a pkg like this is as much or more than most actual trades for established #1D
19. Seth Jones, CBJ (+1)
20. Jeff Petry, MTL (+1)
32. Ryan Suter, MIN (-5)
36. Adam Fox, NYR (SAME)

I grabbed the NHL top 50 fantasy list for a quick reference and IMO there 10 D on the list I trade that pkg for

Agreed. It’s would take an insanely good player (with term) to make giving up that package worth it.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
You are completely divorced from reality. You think Barrie commands that kind of return from Edmonton? Or anyone?

Did you really just say someone is divorced from reality for thinking Barrie would return a 1st plus a good prospect plus a cap dump? I’m afraid it’s you who’s out of touch with reality. Spend 30 seconds looking up past trades and it will be clear. Shattenkirk was mentioned here earlier. You couldn’t find a better recent comparable player to gauge Barrie’s value.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
the guy I want is Zadorov. Obv not for this pkg but as far as somewhat obtainable guys Zads is the 1 I want

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Did you really just say someone is divorced from reality for thinking Barrie would return a 1st plus a good prospect plus a cap dump? I’m afraid it’s you who’s out of touch with reality. Spend 30 seconds looking up past trades and it will be clear. Shattenkirk was mentioned here earlier. You couldn’t find a better recent comparable player to gauge Barrie’s value.

Seriously... name the good prospect in those trades.

Kevin Shattenkirk Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
Keith Yandle Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

A late 1st (#20-#27) for Barrie... sure... but good prospect... not seeing it.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Yandle and Shattenkirk both returned a 1st+, both were considered defensive liabilities. Barrie is a puck moving defenseman and teams generally give up a lot for those

True.

Okay, I suppose you guys are right.. someone will overpay for a defenseman like Barrie at the TDL because there's always one GM always who makes that kind of mistake. Or maybe we are talking about a late 1st, like in the 27-31 range. Whatever it won't be Edmonton. At all. Holland won't add a pending UFA to the Oilers because while it is believed they are good enough to make the playoffs, they aren't good enough to go anywhere afterward.

Holland also made it clear he wouldn't deal a 1st for Taylor Hall. Why do you think he'd make that kind of trade for Barrie?

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
True.

Okay, I suppose you guys are right.. someone will overpay for a defenseman like Barrie at the TDL because there's always one GM always who makes that kind of mistake. Or maybe we are talking about a late 1st, like in the 27-31 range. Whatever it won't be Edmonton. At all. Holland won't add a pending UFA to the Oilers because while it is believed they are good enough to make the playoffs, they aren't good enough to go anywhere afterward.

Holland also made it clear he wouldn't deal a 1st for Taylor Hall. Why do you think he'd make that kind of trade for Barrie?
I don't think it would be Edmonton. They aren't in a position to trade anything of value for rentals, especially a guy like Barrie who's looking at a big contract. And I don't think the Oilers pick is going to be in the 20s. The teams who would give up the first are teams higher up in the standings looking to make a big run

Reactions: TFHockey

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I think the prospect is too offset the value of the cap dump but it makes no sense because the Leafs are up against the cap and aren't looking for futures

First of all - the real dump is Brandon Manning. Gagner can fill in once in a while whereas Manning just get suspending for being racist and useless overall (thanks Chia).

Second, Oilers don't have roster space for another D. It's not a big need. When Russell is healthy we're sending Lagesson back down and if we trade for Barrie that means sending down Caleb Jones and he's been good.

The McDavid line without Neal and Kassian is a complete mess. He needs a winger. Screw adding another redundant D.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I dont think there is a dman in this league that is a Sandin+Kapanen more valuable than Barrie.

I mean I’m as big a leaf fan who thinks the under valuing leaf players get is ridiculous. But....

You think Columbus would take that package for Jones? Dahlin? Heiskanen?

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA

Hell no LA wouldn't! You're out of your damn mind

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Name them.

Carlson
Doughty
Makar
Jones
Hamilton
and A.P with extension
handedness aside Hedman, Hughes, Dahlin, Heiskanen and Slavin
outside of those guys and the obvious older guys that don't fit like Burns, E.K etc
So 10 guys and 1 with extension. Obv some or most are worth more but anyone I consider less valuable is not worth that pkg.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
19. Seth Jones, CBJ (+1)
20. Jeff Petry, MTL (+1)
32. Ryan Suter, MIN (-5)
36. Adam Fox, NYR (SAME)

Aside from the two guys Toronto already has niskanen and klefbom are the only ones I'd accept that package for. I don't see either moving. I'd set your sights a little lower

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00