Value of: This Leafs Package

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Did you really just say someone is divorced from reality for thinking Barrie would return a 1st plus a good prospect plus a cap dump? I’m afraid it’s you who’s out of touch with reality. Spend 30 seconds looking up past trades and it will be clear. Shattenkirk was mentioned here earlier. You couldn’t find a better recent comparable player to gauge Barrie’s value.

You think Zach Sanford or Brad Malone were good prospects?

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
LA kings, quite easily among others.

They get Sandin + Kap then flip Barrie to Edmonton for Gagner (Dump) + 1st + good prospect

pretty sure habs would easily do it for weber. sharks would move eithe rone of burhns/karlsson, zona probably would move OEL for that haul

have you not seen Sandin play this year? he is probably the best D prospect not named Byram (2-4 pretty close with him, romanov and boqvist)

+ Barrie at 2.75 AND Kapanen locked up to a sweetheart 3.2 deal. thats a HUGE package

For... Martinez? That package doesn’t net you Doughty, if that’s what you’re insinuating.

Swap Kapanen for Nylander and we can talk.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
All I can do is point you to comparable trades. You can continue to ignore them if you choose, but that won't change the proven market value for a player like Barrie.

Shattenkirk in 2017: Kevin Shattenkirk Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
Sekera in 2015: Andrej Sekera Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
Yandle in 2015: Keith Yandle Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

We know what Barrie is. He's the same player he was in Colorado which is a proven 50+ point d-man capable of running a 1st unit PP. Those guys don't come anything close to cheap even with defensive issues and UFA status factored in and history proves that year after year at the trade deadline. Hell even Cody Franson returned a 1st round pick for Toronto. Polak fetched two 2nd's and he was a bottom pairing plug. Neither of those two players are anywhere close to as good as Barrie.

The only logical explanation I can think of for someone to think Barrie wouldn't fetch a sizeable return at the deadline is their cable provider went down on trade deadline day for the last 20 years and they didn't bother to read up on what happened afterwards.

I agree with your assessment/argument of what value other offensive first Dmen have brought by maybe the GMs have gotten smarter. The team receiving that O first Dman with limited term have lost every one of those trades.
Combine that with the increase in AAV on the young studs coming out of their ELC, I think smart GMs will be more and more reluctant to trade away their firsts... especially for rentals. But let’s be honest, not all GMs are smart.

Reactions: slimbob8

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
When is the last time you've seen a package that valuable get traded? Karlsson, Stone, Hall all recently traded star players and they didn't get anything close to that in return. Barrie alone would return a 1st plus decent prospect at the deadline if he was available.

If the leafs offered that package up, they should be getting an all star level #1D with a lot of term back in return. And no, not somebody like Manson. That package returns a much, much better player than that.
A 40 or middle sixer a potential top 4 dman and a #3 ufa. That is not a very good package. Might get pesce though

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
A 40 or middle sixer a potential top 4 dman and a #3 ufa. That is not a very good package. Might get pesce though
Well Pesce is a top pairing defenceman according to the people who watch him every night, and one of the best shutdown guys in the league so I wouldn't hesitate

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016

A potential top 4 d-man? Ya that's how most people would describe Sandin. If you're gonna troll at least put a little effort into it.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Well Pesce is a top pairing defenceman according to the people who watch him every night, and one of the best shutdown guys in the league so I wouldn't hesitate
Sorry he is good but not best shutdown that title hoes to parayko. I think that with a pick would do it

WaltPoddubny

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2017
Sorry he is good but not best shutdown that title hoes to parayko. I think that with a pick would do it
Good Lord, he said one of the best.
You embarrass Blues fans enough in Blues-centric threads; quit interjecting your drivel in ones that have nothing to do with the Blues by being so needlessly confrontational to what aren't even perceived slights.

Last edited:
Reactions: WillyNy

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
I suggest you look up past trade deadlines then and bring yourself up to speed on what teams pay for one dimensional d-man like Barrie. You won't have to look hard to find examples. I've already listed two here and they both returned more than that.

Nobody wants Barrie. That's the cold truth.

Hes a serviceable defenseman who isnt regarded defensively but can quarterback a PP and has offensive upside.

That usually doesnt help in the postseason

This reminds me of the thread where TML fans said they had 3 #1 C with Kadri XD XD XD

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Sandin himself will be a strong 2nd pair D man...so we're gonna add Kap and Barrie to him to get.....a strong 2nd pair D man?

Seems reasonable...

...than keep your package XD XD XD

If every player panned out to full projections we wouldnt need them to actually play games.

Kapanen is a serviceable MID 6 and a strong Bottom 6 on a decent contract.

Sandin is an okay prospect

Barrie is a rental

That is far from an enticing package...and yet teams are supposed to trade a #1-2 Dman for that?

On case you forgot...teams trade DRAFT PICKS for RENTALS. No team will trade a KEY PLAYER for a RENTAL. So Barrie is going to fetch FUTURES not a current top DMAN.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
...than keep your package XD XD XD

If every player panned out to full projections we wouldnt need them to actually play games.

Kapanen is a serviceable MID 6 and a strong Bottom 6 on a decent contract.

Sandin is an okay prospect

Barrie is a rental

That is far from an enticing package...and yet teams are supposed to trade a #1-2 Dman for that?

On case you forgot...teams trade DRAFT PICKS for RENTALS. No team will trade a KEY PLAYER for a RENTAL. So Barrie is going to fetch FUTURES not a current top DMAN.
Umm...i didn't even make a proposal? So ya, I'll "keep that package"...no interest in moving Sandin.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Nobody wants Barrie. That's the cold truth.

Hes a serviceable defenseman who isnt regarded defensively but can quarterback a PP and has offensive upside.

That usually doesnt help in the postseason

This reminds me of the thread where TML fans said they had 3 #1 C with Kadri XD XD XD
Actually with his current cap costs, and bring a rental plenty of teams would love Barrie. Carolina for example would give TO their first back (from the Marleau dump) to get Barrie. Hamilton is gone.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
LA kings, quite easily among others.

They get Sandin + Kap then flip Barrie to Edmonton for Gagner (Dump) + 1st + good prospect

pretty sure habs would easily do it for weber. sharks would move eithe rone of burhns/karlsson, zona probably would move OEL for that haul

have you not seen Sandin play this year? he is probably the best D prospect not named Byram (2-4 pretty close with him, romanov and boqvist)

+ Barrie at 2.75 AND Kapanen locked up to a sweetheart 3.2 deal. thats a HUGE package
No way in hell the Kings “quite easily” trade Drew Doughty for that...

Tempo

Jun 13, 2019
You can probably get a #1 D that is passed his prime for this package.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->