Value of: This Leafs Package

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
LA kings, quite easily among others.

They get Sandin + Kap then flip Barrie to Edmonton for Gagner (Dump) + 1st + good prospect

pretty sure habs would easily do it for weber. sharks would move eithe rone of burhns/karlsson, zona probably would move OEL for that haul

have you not seen Sandin play this year? he is probably the best D prospect not named Byram (2-4 pretty close with him, romanov and boqvist)

+ Barrie at 2.75 AND Kapanen locked up to a sweetheart 3.2 deal. thats a HUGE package
Not happening with Doughty,management and ownership want him to stay.Doughty wants to stay as well.Even if this werent true,it would take more than the Kapanen and Sandin.

Last edited:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
This is one of those threads were all of the "Lols" and the jabs at the Leafs/fans don't even begin to bother me. Everyone saying people won't value that package is fine, i have less than ZERO interest in moving Sandin. Barrie? Maybe. Kapanen? Sure....but not Sandin.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
You will not get a #1 Dman for that

Sandin being ED exempt helps. Sandin is not projectedas atop 2 Dman.

You can get a strong 2nd pair Dman

to Ott: 1st plus Chris Tierney, Josh Norris and Rudolfs Balcers, and Dylan DeMelo for Karlsson + Francis Perron

if the Leafs offered Rasmus Sandin, Kasperi Kapanen, and Tyson Barrie l'd take the Leafs package any day, and just flip Barrie for a 1st and prospect to make the deal, 1st, prospect, Sandin, and Kapanen, which is far better than what they got.

Reactions: WillyNy

member 300185

What is the best defenseman this package could return for the Leafs?

Rasmus Sandin
Kasperi Kapanen
Tyson Barrie (UFA)
Whatisya....a ijit? Sandin is already a good defensemen. Put Johnsson up there instead.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Aside from the two guys Toronto already has niskanen and klefbom are the only ones I'd accept that package for. I don't see either moving. I'd set your sights a little lower
maybe if I use other teams assets of similar value you will see the value in this pkg
Hayton+Dvorak+Chychrun similar value if Barrie has an extension
Reinhart+Risto
Klingberg+Faksa+Gurianov
Tanev+Podkolzin+Pearson
Ghost+Laughton+Lindblom
Coyle+Carlo+Vaakanainen
Trocheck+Pysyk+Borgstrom
Larsson+RNH+Bear
A.A+Rasmussen+Daley
McCann+Schultz+Poulin
Dzingel+Pesce+Suzuki
Ryan+Brodie+Pelletier
Eriksson-ek+Brodin+Boldy
Bjorkstrand+Savard+Gavrikov
Gusev+Vatanen+Smith

I tried to keep it kinda similar. Before people go all "herp derp those packages are worth more than"
Sandin=blue chip prospect
Kap=young middle 6 player with potential, think William Karlsson when Vegas grabbed him
Barrie=ufa D who is in the upper tier of offensive D men.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

Rasmus Sandin
Kasperi Kapanen
Tyson Barrie (UFA)

First the TML are not trading Sandin. We are in a crazy cap crunch and you want to trade our top organizational prospect. A Defenceman we desperately need....

While Kap is a luxury we truly don’t have a defensively responsible 3RW who if needed can play up the lineup and is signed to a value contract.

Personally I make the following available if we can get a top 4 RHD. Now there is an assumption I would go on in that Muzzin is resigned.

Barrie
AJ or Kerfoot
Dermott

Ideally when healthy and next year

Reilly ??????
Muzzin Liljegren
Sandin Holl

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
First the TML are not trading Sandin. We are in a crazy cap crunch and you want to trade our top organizational prospect. A Defenceman we desperately need....

While Kap is a luxury we truly don’t have a defensively responsible 3RW who if needed can play up the lineup and is signed to a value contract.

Personally I make the following available if we can get a top 4 RHD. Now there is an assumption I would go on in that Muzzin is resigned.

Barrie
AJ or Kerfoot
Dermott

Ideally when healthy and next year

Reilly ??????
Muzzin Liljegren
Sandin Holl
I would still float the idea of putting Liljegren(+) on the table for Manson.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I would still float the idea of putting Liljegren(+) on the table for Manson.

This is what has gotten us into such trouble in the past. Holl if we are being honest is a third pairing D man. We have nobody who is second pairing or better in the organization. While Liljegren has proven nothing he has the chance to be that and potentially 1st pairing. Plus he is dirt cheap and controlled.

Sorry but this is classic one step forward and two back. If we can’t swing a trade with AJ/Kerfoot, Dermott and picks then we try for a Like Pietro or Hamonic in the offseason. Yes I realize that Pietro is a swing for the fences move but it would only cost cap space. Same with Hamonic but obviously a lesser player.

Mikenusca

Mar 30, 2016

Rasmus Sandin
Kasperi Kapanen
Tyson Barrie (UFA)
Brent Burns........ lol I wish. Probably Petro with a small add from the blues. Leafs shouldn’t be trading Sandin.

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
LA kings, quite easily among others.

They get Sandin + Kap then flip Barrie to Edmonton for Gagner (Dump) + 1st + good prospect

pretty sure habs would easily do it for weber. sharks would move eithe rone of burhns/karlsson, zona probably would move OEL for that haul

have you not seen Sandin play this year? he is probably the best D prospect not named Byram (2-4 pretty close with him, romanov and boqvist)

+ Barrie at 2.75 AND Kapanen locked up to a sweetheart 3.2 deal. thats a HUGE package
Habs would certainly not do that for Weber

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I dont think there is a dman in this league that is a Sandin+Kapanen more valuable than Barrie.

Barrie has shown what I expected him to be. He is no All Star, he is a lesser Krug.

This package is not worth as much as some want it to be. Perhaps good for a steady #2 defenseman.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
The defensemen on the block are not worth that package. The defensemen that are worth that package aren't on the block.

That's why these trades don't happen.

Reactions: Theodore450

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
The only way the leafs get out of this is if they have an inside line of Alex P from st Louis. Then they can wait . Unless that its gonna a failure. Trade kapanen and Aj for 2 or 3 pieces or nylander one for one for a good dman

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
When is the last time you've seen a package that valuable get traded? Karlsson, Stone, Hall all recently traded star players and they didn't get anything close to that in return. Barrie alone would return a 1st plus decent prospect at the deadline if he was available.

If the leafs offered that package up, they should be getting an all star level #1D with a lot of term back in return. And no, not somebody like Manson. That package returns a much, much better player than that.
Those are examples of pending UFAs

RANGERS13ADL

Jan 26, 2020
Completely agree. Good post slim. But I still don’t know who would bite on it though.

People have been getting burned lately. Look at the Sharks and Karlsson? You think they would like to re do the trade over again?

Well they could redo it with this proposal haha but in reverse.. Thing is, Leafs need a shut down stay at home defense men and most of these "franchise D men" are more offensive oriented. Instead of landing the big deal guy they should just get 2 2nd line shut down guys so they have depth

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Aside from the two guys Toronto already has niskanen and klefbom are the only ones I'd accept that package for. I don't see either moving. I'd set your sights a little lower
I don't think the Oilers would even consider moving Klefbom for Sandin and Kapanen. Klefbom is far to important to their defense right now. They already have Bouchard and Broberg as well as Bear, Jones and Lagesson. They don't need any young defensemen who are not ready to take on what Klefbom does. Barrie would not make enough of a difference to change this since his value as a rental this year would be minimal without Klefbom.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
You will not get a #1 Dman for that

Sandin being ED exempt helps. Sandin is not projectedas atop 2 Dman.

You can get a strong 2nd pair Dman

How do you figure? He's pretty much out produced Brannstrom at every level while being younger and folks are pretty high on him.

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
Its not a slight to Weber's skill level, its that his age and contract make him a tough fit.
I understand completely, if your making a package that big in value you’re doing it to have a young cost controlled Dman whose top 3 Rn and can hopefully improve. In a vacuum I think Weber is worth more but at the end of the day value is perceived by both sides. Not a good fit

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
No defenseman other than Pronger has been moved for a package more valuable than 1st + 1st + 2nd (excluding conditional picks) since the 05 lockout. Obviously this is excluding 1-for-1 trades like Jones, Larsson, and Subban.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->